Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Heffer posted:

I don't think the dropships mod is on steam. Can you mix and match workshop mods with download mods?

I've had no issue. Ran into a situation where some Steam mods wouldn't update while others would so I was doing about half and half... though I *only* use 8 mods or so.

Edit: I can't believe I didn't check to see if goons played Rimworld before.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Does a pawn's social skill actually affect their friendships with other pawns? I have a researcher with 17 social skill that I had to put on the night shift because he kept insulting the other researcher and they hate each other so much now. Neither of them is abrasive or ugly or anything like that. Just jerks.

Oh, there are sooooo many reasons for researchers working on the same topic to hate each other...

I really like the idea of putting the research table next to the main dining area.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Yeah, that prison idea... wow. How does it do with breakouts? Or should you just build a turret or two outside that room?

I've just been breaking down the rubble into blocks and making flagstone walkways around places, using others to make art sculptures, and occasionally selling to the bulk trader ships.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

On a different note, anyone try out the children mod?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

"Honey, let's have children :glomp:"

Different strokes for different folks dude, don't kinkshame.

Besides, it's not like you even give them a chance. No double beds... cmon. Or maybe with that mod a dungeon bed?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

I had just embarked and had suicide attempts on the second day :black101:

That must all be from the cult mod?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I started a new 3 person colony. My first two additions are depressive (Geradon and Stoier), and one is even neurotic (Geradon). They were both decent miners, which I needed to get my mountain base started, but I'm getting close to set up and managing their mood is becoming... tedious.

Geradon has regular mental breaks (even having regular beer and ambrosia with a decent room) - and isn't otherwise spectacular, so I'm thinking of getting rid of him... since I don't use the cult mod and nobody is a psychopath, the easy idea of, "kill and eat" is out, so...

What are your preferred methods of removing a now unwanted colonist with minimal impacts to the rest of the colony?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Kanos posted:

Build a little shack on the edge of the map, arrest and imprison the unwanted colonist there, and then "accidentally" wedge the door open when you walk out. The arrested colonist will escape off the map, as your prison warden says "No, please, don't escape" in a monotone voice.

Oh nice, that sounds interesting.

But on an interesting bonus, Geradon had a mental break where he ran around cursing people out. He wound up being awake with 1 other person who was trying to make dusters for everyone to get through the cold snap and would meander outside the crafting room, then jog in, tell the crafter to gently caress off, and then head back out. I think that crafter has a -65 with him now.

I think the best relationship he has is a -20 at this point. Killing him might be okay now...

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Geradon picked up the only slightly damaged LMG to help defend the colony, and bravely charged into the 7 raiders, giving time for the other colonists to flank. He took many hits but surprisingly never went down (only losing his right big toe) and the raiders fled... one fled right at him, which because I missed placement issues, a colonist with an auto-shotgun happened to nail Geradon in the gut instead of hitting the fleeing raider.

He limped back to bed, so I healed him. Well, turns out one of the raiders was their faction leader, and he got the kill shot, so now most of the colonists like him.

Little buddy, you can just eat ambrosia all the time, we had two spawn events a day apart and have 300 pieces. I guess you're not voted off the Rimworld.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Slung Blade posted:

Even the most abrasive rear end in a top hat in the colony is capable of redemption through unspeakable violence :unsmith:

This really made me laugh. It's not the first game I've played where something similar has happened... luckily there were no relations in that raid.

On another note, are there any good tranquilizer dart mods people have tried? I'd like a decent method of downing pawns at range that doesn't involve everyone dying to gunshot wounds or charging with wooden clubs.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

It's really funny. On one side we have the guy who gets upset when his colonists insult each other ever, and on the other we have Deja who force feeds his prisoners a diet of human ears.

Hey, it's only a problem that he's insulting everyone rather than doing any work. Mental break "be a dick" means wandering around aimlessly until he decides to jog across half the colony to find someone to poo poo on, and then wander off aimlessly afterwards.

Brutally efficient colony though. I can appreciate that. I can't emulate it, but I can admire the work.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

GodspeedSphere posted:

So I have EPOE installed, along with a couple other mods and CTHULHU stuff. Am I right in assuming that increasing a colonists manipulation with augments like advanced bionic hands, an advanced bionic spine, and an exoskeleton will increase my crafting/tailoring/smithing speed? If so, is it a decent amount or just a little bit extra?

It's pretty good. Crafting speed is affected by consciousness, manipulation, and sight. Benefits from sight are capped at 100%, so bionic eyes are just useful to get a colonist to 100%. Manipulation isn't capped, but only matters 90%.

So I think that if you get manipulation to 140%, then it'll increase crafting speed by ~26%.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Fayk posted:

mods that are good/fun/interesting? Anything from QoL stuff to added content. Only thing I've added so far is just a thing for wall-mounted lights because I didn't really like what the current lighting option does to a room layout.

I like...

Vegetable garden: Instead of simple/fine/lavish meals, adds a number of choices (in addition to the standard meals) that have different temporary boosts - eating porridge helps blood filtration/sight, sweet rolls buff move speed and consciousness, tea/coffee give a rest boost and adds caffeine as a new drug, etc. You wind up sometimes making only 2-3 things out of their entire meal list (meat stew for everyone!), but until you get there it's a nice fluff. Adds a whole lot more crops to grow, from fruits and vegetables to meat substitutes (tofu, lentils, mushrooms), and research gates before better ones pop up (as well as fruit trees, with coconuts providing a different milk method). You can also turn your raider bodies into compost to plow the fields, and there are many new options for alcohol as well as neutroamine. Bamboo does make the use of fueled generators a bit OP though.

Rim fridge: Adds single, double, and quad fridges which maintain a frozen state of the stuff inside. Great for establishing areas far away from the main freezer as eating areas, and also can help minimize main freezer entry. I've been putting my prisoners onto "no food" and keeping a fridge stocked so my negotiators don't spend time trucking food around while my dogs drag food in.

Expanded Prosthetics and Organ Engineering (EPOE): Allows you to make prosthetics and bionics for your colonists, allowing you to replace almost every piece of your colonist to turn them into a cyborg dreadnaught - but it costs a lot of plasteel and components (or energized components if you're fancy) to get there.

Psychology: Adds a ton to the pawn interaction, as well as some new traits and a new Psyche system that helps to determine which pawns will end up liking each other. Also adds a whole host of new mental breaks.

Hospitality: Allows visitors to the colony to sleep in beds marked as such, and they'll basically use you as a hotel. Some have limited (very) trade inventory, but you can also recruit new pawns from the visiting groups if your colonists succeed at convincing them as well as designate areas where the visitors can buy off your shelves to get even more silver out of the group. If you treat them well, their faction gains positive reputation with you, but factions hate having their person recruited.

I haven't gotten to the use of dropships yet... I'm excited with that one.

I agree on Hand me that Brick, it's great.

These are my major mods - I've got a few others that add things, like Hygiene or additional trade ships... but it's just another thing to monitor (I like that, but others may not).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Every colony I build gets a complete stone wall.

Never again will the herd of manhunter rabbits be the end!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I think that's the problem with being tribals on a planet occupied by people with modern weapons. Just be glad you didn't get machanoids!

So you handle it the tribal way - wait behind corners and then rush out in a group to melee them with clubs and spears!

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Speaking of vegetable garden mod, is there a chart of growth times and nutrition yields for the various crops?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Mzbundifund posted:

Here you go.

Perfect.

Looks like everyone's getting beans!

I thought there were a few pared down versions of that mod, or was it just for the resource plants?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

McGiggins posted:

I am genuinely upset that butchering pregnant animals doesn't give more meat.

Most of the weight is from amniotic fluid and the meat from the fetus' is really poo poo/nonexistent.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If I want plasteel I just call exotic goods caravans, they often have about 100 or so pieces.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I wall off any access to my base. Though in current colony, I've found that you can't remove shallow moving water from a river, which will make my defensive setup different than expected... but I'm going to have an inner complete wall with an outer wall supported by turrets and defensive structures, so I can avoid catastrophe via massive warg manhunter packs.

I've noticed that raiders always com from south and east - north is completely mountain, which I've dug into - but I'm nestled very close to the west border and haven't had raiders come from the small northwest corner that's open. Caravans have left through there... but no raids yet. I recently expanded my walls to encompass 4 geo vents

I've also got the "no parties, no weddings" bug... I removed fog to see if there was a 2nd ancient danger, but there's not another cavern to fit one in. Bleh.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I've seen a bridge mod that allows building of simple items on it (like torches and power lines).

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Thefluffy posted:

you do know that this will be used to justify furries in rimworld right? :v:

They're gonna combine colonists with that cleaning cat mod.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Count me in with the Randy converts.

My latest "oh god how can I survive this" was a toxic fallout followed next day by volcanic winter, starting in early summer. It led to a cold snap in fall, a bout of sleeping sickness for half the colony, and a mechanoid raid. Just after the fallout and winter ended (in late winter, I've a long, but not full year, growing season in the jungle), I had two pirate raids one day after the other... and an infestation a day after those.

The mechanoids were helpfully turned into advanced hydroponic bays (running vegetable garden mod) and raider corpses became fertilizer. The bugs became kibble for my huskies and labs.

....and at the end of all those raids, I notice one of my early colonists (4 years strong, 22 years old) now has 4 traits... with the one I don't remember him coming with being desensitized.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Sillybones posted:

Sending someone on a caravan for even a short distance appears a massive undertaking for me. They have to take hundreds of kilograms of food and will be gone for stupid amounts of time as the crawl around the map. Am I doing it wrong? Is it how I am setting up the caravans that makes this so messed up and not worth it?

What biome are they crossing and what season? Flatlands or mountains? What is the slowest thing in the caravan - colonist or animal? Is anyone having mental breaks on the caravan?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Did you overload them? They won't move if they're burdened.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I have no idea why - if they've got a destination set, made sure to load <95%, everyone can walk at a decent move speed, nobody has a mental break, they should be moving.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Does losing a nose actually reduce their effectiveness in any real way?

The only thing I notice is that it makes other people not like them (disfigured, -15 social).

Hearing is good for bartering and animal taming. Also arresting people.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I had a tribal being chased by pirates who very helpfully stayed in range of their doomsday rocket launcher carrier.

At the end of the fighting I was able to pull her in - she lost part of an eye, had burns on near every part of her body (including the shredded bits that downed her in the first place), an arm and a leg were completely burned off... but hey we saved you from pirates right?

The odd thing today was the pirate leader fleeing from 3 of his compatriots (new colony). We just installed an electrical generator and we are the better choice than you leading your pirate band? Wonder what happened there...

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Keeshhound posted:

Just take the plunge you wuss.

Hey, I'm trying to make utopia over here.

It's not like I force all my colonists to eventually give up their organic bodies whether or not they want to.

Sold into slavery does give a debuff to mood of most colonists, so again, not an ideal solution to removing unwanted colonists for the "not psychopath" games.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

bird food bathtub posted:

Sorry, but....the what?

Selling a colonist into slavery hits the colony with ( -) mood, unless they're a psychopath. If anyone was related, in a relationship, or on friendly terms with the sold, they get an even higher mood hit.

Since I want my colony functioning with the high mood benefit, the only times I'm inclined to sell someone, harvest a prisoner's organs, etc., is right after a marriage or a party so the mood bonus takes care of the mood drop.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Heffer posted:

Is plant yield fixed or does it vary based on growing skill?

It does, in a way. There's a fail chance that's lessened with higher skills. A failed harvest yields no crop.

Otherwise it just affects speed of planting and harvesting, as well as skill gated crops. But, you don't need the skill to harvest, just to plant.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Eltoasto posted:

How do you guys set your drug policy if you want to run with smokeleaf/beer?

I don't let people do smokeleaf unless they're incapacitated in some way (bed ridden with an illness) and need a mood boost. The negatives are just too high on someone you want functioning.

For beer, I set it to once every four days and only if they're below a certain mood level (close to the minor break point of a standard colonist). As long as you don't let colonists consume for joy regularly (i.e. a drink every day or two) then you shouldn't run into liver carcinomas.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

EPOE too - though I didn't know there was another similar mod.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Omniblivion posted:

it really isn't hard at all to get >10 with Randy

Even IF the recruit chance was fractional, it's not like you are only trying to recruit one person at a time. Once you have 10+ colonists, it is likely that you will have several raiders downed and captured. If you wanted to, you could continually cycle people in prison; while the individual recruit time would be year(s), you'd still get a new recruit every few seasons. Doing this would result in a higher social score for your warden, which means even faster recruitment.

I had a pirate raid followed by a tribal raid in my about 14 person colony that led to 8 prisoners, 6 of whom I decided were useful enough to recruit. One year later, all but one has joined. Almost every game I play I end up (after getting a fifth colonist) having at least two captures a raid, and I can often get through those early raids without death, and rarely even without injury with no turrets.

Today's bonus was a caravan where one dude went beserk and their Molotov carrier lobbed one at the head trader (melee) who had just taken a bullet. I didn't realize it until she was 1.2 hours away from bleeding out from a 70% wound... so the rest of the caravan stuck around waiting for her to recover until they all collapsed from malnutrition and now I've got 4 new potential recruits and releasing 7 to get the faction to stop hating me.

I prefer jungle maps, but I always try to have a base wall or at least a firebreak quick. Lightning storms can quickly lead to massive fires, and vegetation grows back so fast that the boomalope that took a lightning bolt and succumbs to infection can set off yet another massive fire. Sleeping sickness also really sucks - penoxycyline is a must. Panthers are bastards and love hunting your boars and even colonists tending the fields.

But I love taming chinchillas. :3:

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Oh, that reminds me - I've been thinking of getting a few boomrats and letting them live and breed outside my walls. They can't start a colony killing fire, won't get killed by predators, and the jungle grass grows fast enough to support at least a few dozen... and when they hit high numbers with constant reproduction, they can be used to soften up incoming raids and light the ground on fire around them.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Uh, well, I guess I'd end up talking more about the colony I've sunk 20 hours+ into than the ones that never got named or the ones that died within 3 hours time.

It's like how I don't talk about the Stellaris games that I lose completely in my first baby space empire war, or really any other game I play where a play through is doomed from the start or ends early due to my failure. I just thought that was an assumed thing of reading about nerds playing a game that we'd skip the prologue entry of, "after 8 failed starts and one lost real life relationship I managed to tame the king thrumbo here is my story fellow goons."

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Can you pop out and light anything on fire that won't end up destroying all you know and love?

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

If you're going to use a door, make it out of stone for low use, fire proof, doors.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Boomrat man hunter packs also suck, especially when they start deviating over terrain so they don't fratricide on explosion.

I lost a rich explorer game on the first day because I thought I could kill the panther lingering near my shack and I didn't want it to go after my Labrador. Yeah, it ate my dude after he missed all but one of his first shots until panther got into melee range.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

I used to use the Deep Core Drill mod that gave you a huge version of the vanilla drill which could mine whatever substance you wanted. But, you had to complete a round (couldn't leave a %), it took awhile (each pawn might get 3-5 rounds per work day) and it took 2000 kWh to run. It felt okay to me... but I moved away from it to the quarry mod.

I agree that starting with Randy is a good thing. I used to go Cassandra first year then Randy, then I stopped being so nit picky.