Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Have you tried assigning them nicknames? They should take priority over the regular names at the top.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Is there a way to make colonists carry around Go-Juice or Wakeup for strategic purposes? Go-Juice especially is something you only need to take in emergencies, so it makes no sense to set it on a schedule.

The Smart Medicine mod allows you to assign stock up settings to pawns so they'll keep medicine/drugs on hand. Very handy for making sure your doctors have the medicine when going out on caravans too.

isndl
May 2, 2012

TorakFade posted:

Holy moly. Why can't I ever design a base this good-looking? I always get a mishmash of different materials, room sizes etc starting out, and I never have the time/resources/willingness to just tear down and rebuild in a proper way, so I end up having a horrible looking and horribly unoptimized Frankenbase with some bedrooms (the early ones) that are barely livable and some (the later ones) that are extremely luxurious, a tiny dining room, sandbags all over the place, pawns having to walk 5 miles to get a beer and so on :v:

That's why it's good to use the planning tool to carefully map out your base before you start building! The mod for more planning colors helps a ton too. The replace stuff mod is also super handy so I can throw down wooden walls early and upgrade them to stone later without making it a massive pain in the rear end.

isndl
May 2, 2012

HeartNotes3 posted:

Whoa, hold up, orders to drop on floor? How do I get them to do THAT?

That's a vanilla option, click the details on the bill for the big view and click the button to choose what to do with finished items.

isndl
May 2, 2012
It's a combination of things, your lower difficulty setting, as well as using Cassandra as your storyteller since she's more 'chill'. Eventually she's gonna ramp up to crazy waves but it'll be a while. Switch to Randy and you'll probably enjoy more immediate threats.

isndl
May 2, 2012

jokes posted:

Ranching is absurdly difficult to maintain just for a replenishable source of meat/animal products for making fine meals and lavish meals.

The only animal worth ranching is a muffalo. Loads of meat, constant milk, constant high-value fur, consume hay and grass, hard to kill, and you can use them as caravan animals, plus they breed real slow so you don't have them gently caress their way into starvation.

Beware the chickenstorm!

Ranching is okay if you have a big enclosure for them to roam/forage and the mod that automates population management.Most animals do suck in terms of work hours required though, especially if you have to churn out kibble for winter feeding. It seems like most modded animals tend to be wildly overpowered as well, though perhaps that's somewhat relative to the anemic base game.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Now that I think about it, where are the mods for factory farming animals? Milking and shearing in the fields is far too inefficient.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Nalesh posted:

Rimfactory has that.

Doesn't appear to be updated for 1.0. :smith:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Well, they haven't updated it on the Steam Workshop. I'm too lazy to deal with manual mod installation in 2019. :downs:

isndl
May 2, 2012
For the most part I'm okay with vanilla stack sizes, since it's also a mechanic that encourages you to keep expanding your base and develop. It's the stuff that doesn't stack that annoys the hell out of me, particularly weapons and clothing. If I can carry ten meals in a stack I ought to be able to do the same with shirts. :colbert:

isndl
May 2, 2012
If you place beds or sleeping spots while out on caravan that'll clear previous sleeping arrangements but they ought to prioritize their shared bed when they get back. Maybe you have some mod using/interfering with beds somewhere?

isndl
May 2, 2012

cugel posted:

The crops will never see it coming!

Tell me more about these hemp jukeboxes. :allears:

isndl
May 2, 2012

ILL Machina posted:

For what it's worth, it's a grain of antimatter.

You might say it's worth $1277. :v:

isndl
May 2, 2012

robotsinmyhead posted:

I love those wall-mounted lights, but holy poo poo they're straight up cheating. 10W for a huge 100% illumination area, you can do indoor farming/hydroponics for like a tenth of the power.

OTOH, I refuse to believe a sufficiently advanced culture, even one marooned on a Rim World, couldn't scrounge up the tech for a low-power LED light when space ships are on the build list. Immersion irrevocably broken.

The values on those lights are configurable through the mod settings menu if you're concerned about the balance. And UV lights for indoor grow ops is technically a different mod and uses much more power than 10w (and is similarly configurable).

isndl
May 2, 2012

deep dish peat moss posted:

Can anyone recommend a mod for adding additional power generation options that aren't overpowered but also aren't super complicated to use?

There's a mod called "advanced powergeneration" that's pretty simple, research advanced tech variants and then build them for double the power in the same footprint. Costs advanced components in addition to regular materials so they're not really spammable, and the fanciest thing is a nuclear generator for 20k power (and also needs a whole bunch of plasteel and uranium so you're probably going to need a bunch of trade runs to collect everything). Seems relatively balanced without requiring learning new mechanics and designing your base around it.

isndl
May 2, 2012
The Squishables race mod is good so you can forget that Rimworld is a hellscape for five minutes. :3:

isndl
May 2, 2012

Unfinish3d posted:

Also I had to expand my freezer for all the meat and now I have a huge stack of rhino leather to work with. Manhunter packs are the best raid type event

I got the point where I set up a couple bills for butchering, one to carve up small carcasses right away (rabbits, squirrels, etc.), and one to leave the big ones alone until I'm low on meat because it's more space efficient.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Vengarr posted:

Taking 30 seconds to download a mod and never having to worry about keeping your animals out of your hooch/drugs again is definitely the better choice. Using animal zones requires rezoning any time you create a new stockpile for chems/meals/alchohol. It also requires you to manually add new animals to it. It’s not worth the hassle unless you’re ranching and have a huge herd to manage. You can move muffalo from field to field pretty efficiently that way.

30 seconds to download a mod, and 30 seconds to load the additional mod every time you launch the game in the future. :v:

I feel like animal zones are still kind of necessary to deal with toxic fallout events, at which point you might as well continue to use zoning to manage your animals since you already have the zone configured and assigned. If you're using the colony manager mod you can set it up to automatically assign new animals to the appropriate zones as you go along anyways.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Danaru posted:

Yeah it's easy, but your animals still cant haul food and will happily eat lavish meals and drugs in other stockpiles, like how a lot of people keep food and booze in common areas.

Or you can just install a mod and forget it was ever an issue :shrug: like it's fine to not want to play with mods but framing it as "people shouldn't mod around bad design because it's a ~teachable moment~" is dumb as hell.

This is only an issue if you're relying on animals for hauling, which I found far less necessary after getting the mod to let pawns grab multiple items for hauling runs. Instead I now have mainly caravan animals that I keep outside where they won't track dirt everywhere.

I think one of my mods also lets me set dietary restrictions on animals? I haven't actually played around with it since I want to keep it flexible to avoid starvation while out on caravan, but that'd also solve the 'animals are getting into the lavish meals' issue. Maybe I'm confusing it with setting dietary restrictions on prisoners though.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Keeshhound posted:

What's this "lavish meals" bullshit I keep hearing about? Give the idiots paste, never have to worry about food poisoning, use less raw food, and free up more workers.

Sometimes the workers are rioting because of bad moods and there's food rotting in the fields because the freezer is full. I have been meaning to experiment with nerve stapling, though...

isndl
May 2, 2012

jokes posted:

Also, I still don't know what to do with this 18 year old Nice Kid who got shot in the head and has 30% brain function. He keeps on getting hot and going down but I don't feel right just anesthetizing him or banishing him. Is there no way to help the brain (other than Luciferum). I mean, he's a Nice Kid after all.

Healer mech serum should fix it, unless for some reason it decides some other injury is more important.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I find permanent winter probably the easiest to play, just rush a room around a geyser and that'll keep you from freezing overnight. After that go hunting, turn the skins into parkas, and stuff a shed full of meat with free refrigeration. Farming is easy enough, build walls around some dirt and heat the room to growing temp along with a sunlamp.

Downside is that wood will get scarce since you can't grow trees indoors, so you may need to rely on trading for it later. Temperature management for the base is so much easier though, just throw down heaters as necessary and no need for vents/cooling. Once everyone has parkas you're generally safe from any temperature events, sometimes you get a mood debuff or work speed penalty but nothing permanent.

isndl
May 2, 2012

jokes posted:

Has anyone met success going to an enemy encampment and trying to enslave a bunch of pawns? I sure would like to enslave some of these nerds and get real big.

I wanted to quickly scale up to a metropolis but I'm having zero luck sustainably growing my population. They keep dying (or becoming useless) to stupid poo poo. Constructors bleeding out from rearming traps, doctors getting shot while carrying patients, it's annoying.

It's possible but with caveats. You need to build a prison on the map to capture them once they're downed (unless you get a mod to simplify that), and you might need a med team on site to keep them from dying before getting home. Plus your overland speed is going to tank with a bunch of wounded prisoners so stock up on a lot of extra rations.

If you're using mods for more non-lethal weapons it will likely be much easier.

isndl
May 2, 2012

GenericOverusedName posted:

I kinda get the impression that the bugs were meant to fill in the melee threat niche but the way infestations show up is obnoxious so...

They're meant to fill the "turtling in a mountain isn't completely safe" niche, I think being melee-oriented just incidentally helps with that role (dig through walls and bust down doors faster).

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tias posted:

My EdB Prep carefully and all my other mods don't work no mo.

What do I do to update them? I am still subscribed to them, it's just I haven't played in a long time and now they're probably outdated or something.

If you haven't played in a long time, in guessing you're subscribed to older versions of the mods. Go through your list and make sure everything is tagged [1.0] for compatibility with the latest version of Rimworld, or find the rerelease/replacement if they're not.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Tias posted:

Thanks! The page says my Edb-Prep Carefully works with 1.11 and up, but it doesn't :confused:

Even when I unintall all other mods, it gives a string saying

First thing I would do is make sure that you have HugsLib properly installed (and at the top of the load order after Core), since Less Arbitrary Surgery is hitting an error about it before getting to Prepare Carefully. Don't know for sure offhand but it's quite likely to be related.

isndl
May 2, 2012

robotsinmyhead posted:

Some sort of zone restriction going on?

Nah, zone restrictions would give you an error when you try to manually force them to mine. My guess is there's interference from another mod, either one that's splitting deep drilling into its own work category or maybe that one mod that restricts mining to your highest skill miners.

isndl
May 2, 2012

AG3 posted:

I have the opposite problem where certain pawns will use the drill constantly, ignoring all their needs and until they get close to mentally breaking or starving. Only some of the pawns do this though, and I can't find anything about those in particular that would cause it. It started after I installed a good number of mods to change stuff up a bit, the major ones being Hospitality and Rimworld of Magic.

There's something sad about being stuck outside in the rainy night, drilling away while soiling yourself, sleepy and starving.

Turn on your error log? I ran into something similar with the packed meat mod, it broke the object search tree so they couldn't 'see' meals as a result.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Why hasn't there been a mod for fancy flavored paste using chocolate yet?

isndl
May 2, 2012

Average Bear posted:

Same reason why the pinnacle of vanilla lighting technology is the shadeless ground lamp.

We got mods for wall lamps to fix that though.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Sillybones posted:

Extended Storage sounds good until you realise it only stores one version of one type of thing at once. That was the problem I was trying to solve!

Still lets me compact the massive stockpiles of basic materials like wood and chunks so it's better than nothing. :shrug:

Just wish the descriptions would list what item types the containers allow so I don't have to spend resources building them to find out for sure.

isndl
May 2, 2012
"Good luck," says the serving bot, as the group of herons takes the offensive by capturing a pawn en passant. "I'm behind a boar wearing a power armor suit."

isndl
May 2, 2012
Nutrient paste is love, nutrient paste is life.

isndl
May 2, 2012

H13 posted:

It took a couple of days, but I've finally got 'round to having a semi-successful colony.

I've still only got wooden walls for the most part. I've got a 6 bedroom building, a freezer, a roofed dumping ground, a kitchen\rec area, and a workshop with a research bench. Nearly got my solar panels. Got a few crops going (including cotton) as well.

So now that I've kinda got the "survival" thing going. What should I look at doing next? I have no idea how to travel on the map to other places. Also, I've only got 3 civillians. The first raider bled to death...

The game is awesome but not terribly intuitive...

Just keep playing and you'll get a thing for one of the endgame options that you can choose to ignore. As your colony grows you'll face bigger raids, and there's always random recruitment events. Your choice of storyteller affects the random events but not terribly much at this stage of the game.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Walton Simons posted:

Also a slight annoyance when caravanning is that you can't patch up enemies you've downed and take them prisoner unless there's an enclosed structure nearby. Seems like the kind of thing that should be possible.

The mod you're looking for here is Imprisonment On The Go!.

isndl
May 2, 2012
Haven't played in a while so I grabbed a stack of new mods and fired it up, except for some reason over-wall coolers are triggering my pawns to deconstruct the wall I'm placing them on. :smith:

Also getting other random errors in the log but at least it's nothing crippling.

isndl
May 2, 2012

frogge posted:

I just reinstalled this over the past weekend and played like mad so now I'm in a good spot where I think it's actually possibly to build a ship or hike all the way to the free one. Which is better- hiking there or building the ship?

Kinda varies according to the location/distance and your current settlement/pawns, really. Like my current game has the ship in the arctic on the far side of a bay so I'd have to trek through tundra if I wanted to hike it.

There's also the option of resettling closer and launching everyone for the last leg instead of caravanning all the way.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I installed the Pokemon mod then uninstalled it because the fuckers would 'help' with construction and there wasn't an obvious way to stop that (no work restriction menu since they're classified as animals). At least orbital traders take awful/poor furniture.

Also switched to using Deep Storage and it's just miles ahead of Extended Storage, everyone should make the switch if they're still on ES.

isndl
May 2, 2012

Ruggan posted:

Has anything major changed since 1.0?

There was an update to improve launch times with mods!

It still takes several minutes to launch with my mod list. :downs:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

isndl
May 2, 2012

Unfinish3d posted:

That's what I was trying to do, but trying to use any mortar other than the first one that was installed just always gave me the "no unreserved shells" message no matter what I did. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the mortars, allowing/unallowing ammo types, putting the shells in different stockpiles/on different shelves, but I could only ever use one mortar. It was weird, I should fire up that save file and see if that's still the case

e: Tried loading the save filed with the modlist present at the time of the save, before the two artillery mods. Same issue, every mortar beyond the first is unable to be loaded. I tried again with my current modlist, and the problem went away. :shrug: Thinking about it, this was probably an issue with Deep Storage and/or While You're Up that somehow got smoothed over with the installation of the artillery mods

Maybe a dumb question, but were your mortar shells zoned appropriately for your mortar dudes to access?

90% of the time when there's an issue with pawns not doing something I can figure out why by selecting the pawn and right clicking the object to see what the error shown is (and if there's no error it's probably a work priorities issue).