Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Squiggle posted:

Well, you're a decent pitchman. Sold. I've been looking to scratch the Dwarf Fortress itch for a while, but....not with DF. This looks real up my alley.

I love DF but Lief is right that this game doesn't just do a good DF impression like some games in the genre do, it's a really excellent game on it's own. Cannot recommend it enough, you made a good purchase.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Chonchon posted:

It's day 232 in my current colony, and at this point I feel like I'm running some kind of awful hospital where the patients are indistinguishable from the doctors. All 50 of my people have some kind of horrifying disfigurement or disability. Severed limbs, gouged out eyes, crushed noses and malfunctioning organs. Pick any two and you've got a sizeable demographic of my colony population.

There's also a brain damaged prisoner who has been in a coma since day 50, and a trio of legless amputees sitting in the infirmary and hating life.

I've been moving my legless patients to a room I call "the shed" and then just wall them in and wait for them to die. Just undesignate all unassigned medical beds, put a bunch in some room you don't care about, and turn off medical for the beds the people you want moved. Then, just build a wall outside their door and no more wasting time or food feeding them!

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Tynan certainly has the insanity thing down, always a plus when making a game like this it turns out.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

God dammit I'm trying to wait for mods to catch up, stop updating! :argh:
Tamed animals sounds awesome though. Hope you have to feed them.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Ah, right, thank you both. Man, there are even more mods now than last time I played.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Tommofork posted:

It's everything I hoped for and more. The story that I can cobble together is the modpack dude, Ninefinger, asked if he could include Itchyflea's mods in the modpack. Itchyflea said sure, but only if you include a separate donation link for me (which seems like something Ninefinger has done for others from context). Ninefinger says sure and adds the mods. Two weeks later Itchyflea calls out Ninefinger for not adding the donate links yet, Ninefinger goes nuclear. People are referencing a long month of bad posts from Ninefinger, apparently the dude deleted shitloads of his posts from the forum as well lmao.

Some choice quotes.
Just reading those quotes, responses seem ...Mostly sane? Seems like some crazy guy went nuclear over something stupid and people just shrugging and moving on. I was expecting angry screaming from all sides and the community being generally terrible, but maybe you just get a different kind of person with indie town-sims or whatever compared to your minecraft or nexus modding scene. Of course I haven't actually read that reddit thread because I value my sanity

also drama llamas is a fantastic term that I am going to steal

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

GROVER CURES HOUSE posted:

In case anyone still had any hope for Ninefinger not being the irredeemable drama queen in this scenario:

:rip: modpack
hahaha christ, this man is legitimately insane

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Geokinesis posted:

Tynan making the most of his time off

Had to check if this was real, it is, that's reeeaaal sad

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Internet Explorer posted:

I had a pretty interesting story unfold yesterday while starting a new colony.

New colonist shows up as a wanderer... he has great hunting and animal skills. Awesome, I think. Great addition to the colony. I give him a pistol and he does his hunting thing, does his taming thing. But he keeps going crazy. I check his needs quickly while attending to some other things and nothing looks too outrageous, until I find that he's complaining about his clothes. He's a nudist! Okay!

I let him remove his clothes and he goes on doing his whole crazy wilderness man thing, taming full sized grizzlies with no pants on. He kept going crazy he keeps dropping his pistol, having his crazy fit, then I have him pick it back up and continue on. I'm working on making the colony a better place, maybe he'll settle down.

At this point I'm buried into a mountain and I have a single chokepoint covered by 3 turrets. I make a zone for "inside base" to retreat to when raiders come. Sure enough, my 2nd or 3rd raider group show up and I sound the retreat into the base. Crazy dude does not like this and on the way back into the base he goes crazy, drops his pistol and begins to wander around just outside of turret range. The 3 raiders catch up to him. 2 with guns and 1 with frag grenades. They are shooting at him and lobbing grenades, but they keep missing their shots and he keeps wandering out of the blast radius on the grenades.

One of the gunman wanders in range of the turrets and gets fragged, right about the same time my crazy colonist fails to wander out of range of a grenade. The other raiders decide to cut their losses, but not before they take crazy colonist as a hostage. Not wanting to lose my colonist, I send out my two best fighters. A stubborn hunter with a survival rifle and my doctor with his plastisteel knife (melee doctors are the worst). The doctor is able to chase them down while the hunter takes pot shots. The doctor slashes the raider carrying crazy colonist and he drops his captive.

I get crazy colonist back to the operating table (in a shared barracks) and I see he lost a leg, his hearing in both ears, and he's unconscious. Only then did I realize that he is 87 years old and has dementia. I guess that explains the mental breaks. Not wanting to give up on the old man, I install a peg leg. The surgery is successful, and now he hobbles around on one leg with no clothes on, unable to hear anything at all. He still carries his pistol around and tames the creatures of the wild, while sometimes forgetting where he is or where he left his gun.

And that's the story of my crazy old colonist who can dodge bullets and grenades while taming grizzly bears.
That's fantastic, I love stories like this and similarly why I love this game

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

of those I guess I'd go for Subnautica? there are a couple systems that could use some more filling out, but the game is fully playable and you'll not lack for things to do starting out, I've been filling the end-game void with mods and have been playing my latest colony for 45 hours, recently finished it by building a self-sufficient fallout-esque vault with cryostasis chambers for all my colonists to sleep away in for all time

I'd say it's worth the asking price for sure, I am incredibly pleased with where it's at now, if you consider Dwarf Fortress "basically done," I'd say you could probably say the same for this? It's lacking stuff, but the game is there and pretty polished in terms of bugs
I hope he does decide to go the way of Dwarf Fortress though, I'd love to see this game being worked on for years to come, it only gets better every single update

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Archenteron posted:

I had one colonist who I had to joywire to keep him functional because he perpetually had seven simultaneous grumps about flirting rejections.

From three women.

Half the attempts were on the one married woman in the colony.
you could try shifting his working hours to the night so he never sees those people again? I have no idea if that works, I've never tried it before, but if you just pretend he's a night owl I bet he won't mind he never has any human interaction (unless you've got a bunch of night owl ladies in which case oh well)

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

I get Misha "Mie" every game, Min almost every game, Emmie maybe every 2nd game roughly, I've figured the backer thing was out of whack too but I wasn't sure if there weren't actually that many backer characters, although I've got one in there too, and all of the friend's I've seen play and all the streams and videos I've watched, I've seen so many Mins and Emmies and Engies, and never seen mine :shrug:

I only had a name and not a garbage backstory though, so maybe the ones with backstories are prioritized high?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

quote:

-Turrets now require "barrel change" after firing a lot. This consumes steel
-Insects will now go into hypothermic slowdown instead of getting hypothermia
-Alphabeavers incident now only occurs in biomes with sparse plants

why