Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Has mining been slowed down in A15? I swear it's like pulling teeth getting anything mined out suddenly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NatasDog
Feb 9, 2009

Drink Cheerwine posted:

that's a bug, i believe. look at the info on an actually existing item

Yeah, I went home at lunch and crafted a couple items and it shows on them. Now to make a proper armory so my guys can suit up when barbarians are at the gates!

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

NatasDog posted:

Yeah, I went home at lunch and crafted a couple items and it shows on them. Now to make a proper armory so my guys can suit up when barbarians are at the gates!

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
I'd be interested to see any base layouts people have done using the idea of ventilation shafts or the RedistHeat mod, with some infrastructure surrounding the rooms in use.

I wish a2b was updated for a14/a15. :(

Edit: Having maintenance access overlapping main hallways is literally the only reason I want Z-levels right now.

Roadie fucked around with this message at 18:48 on Sep 1, 2016

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

How to cock it up, Fig. I

Roadie posted:

Edit: Having maintenance access overlapping main hallways is literally the only reason I want Z-levels right now.

Are z levels an eventual thing or is it not part of the plan?

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013
A new game in development has gone full circle back to Dwarf Fortress again.

Shirec posted:

"Mite b cool", said Tynan, before forgetting about the topic and turning his attention back to relationship rejection tantrum simulation.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

Shirec posted:

I thought I'd read that z levels will never be a thing in Rimworld.

Khisanth Magus
Mar 31, 2011

Vae Victus
Tynan has said that z-levels would be nice, but would require him to concentrate development purely on that for anywhere from 9 to 18 months, during which there would not be any other additions.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Huh that's changed then because I'm sure his stance used to be "no it would make the game too complicated because the 2d limitation is key to the fluency of the controls and display"

There isn't really an elegant way to do multiple levels with 2d graphics, DF kind of does it about as well as you can honestly and it doesn't do it very well.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I guess in my mind it would just be a button that would toggle up and down a level, like a whole new map per toggle, just one layer up and down. Maybe limit it to 3 levels up and down, or even less. I don't really know how difficult that would be, so I'll submit to it being too hard.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
I just want to build my comically over engineered pit traps and underground bunker :saddowns:

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

I swear the last 10 cargo pods on my map were hardcore super addictive drugs. Stop trying to turn my colonists into addicts, randy :argh:

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
I swear chemical fascination is about the worst trait in the game now.

Shirec
Jul 29, 2009

I think the hidden creeper trait is worse. I don't know if it's Alpha bug or whatnot, but people are hitting on the married pawns and getting super depressed about rejection.

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Shirec posted:

I think the hidden creeper trait is worse. I don't know if it's Alpha bug or whatnot, but people are hitting on the married pawns and getting super depressed about rejection.

That's not a trait. Every pawn has a compatibility and attraction rating with another. If attraction is high they will hit on them and it doesn't take relationship status into account except for whether or not it will be accepted.

Archenteron
Nov 3, 2006

:marc:
I had one colonist who I had to joywire to keep him functional because he perpetually had seven simultaneous grumps about flirting rejections.

From three women.

Half the attempts were on the one married woman in the colony.

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

Archenteron posted:

I had one colonist who I had to joywire to keep him functional because he perpetually had seven simultaneous grumps about flirting rejections.

From three women.

Half the attempts were on the one married woman in the colony.
you could try shifting his working hours to the night so he never sees those people again? I have no idea if that works, I've never tried it before, but if you just pretend he's a night owl I bet he won't mind he never has any human interaction (unless you've got a bunch of night owl ladies in which case oh well)

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
Clearly you make two colonies. One for the married ones, one for the unmarried. Possibly one per couple since being married won't stop the propositioning

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
So uh, I had no idea this could even happen. I'm still trying to figure out wtf happened to this boar, which I discovered as a dessicated skeleton accidentally while just surveying the map. Heart attack or limb removal? There are a couple wolves wandering around but I can't figure out what happened first.

e: and now I have one dude just smoking a J in the common room that we roughed off some cryptosleep capsuleers that turned hostile. :catdrugs: this update rules

Only registered members can see post attachments!

HiroProtagonist fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Sep 2, 2016

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What's important is that Pain: None

Death truly is the cure to life :smith:

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Pumpkinreaper posted:

Guys, help, I have too many potatoes.

Make vodka :ussr:

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007
just bought an assload of smokeleaf joints from a vendor and even with "one drink a day" policy set to include smokeleaf, my dudes are literally getting high two times a day. Perpetually stoned. What even the gently caress. At least they're happy? :shobon:

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I have a creepy doctor who's constantly depressed by being turned down and I decided he should try flake to cheer up a bit after a cargo pod dropped a stack of 22. Ask me about my endless psychoid plant fields. :stare:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh
Started playing this shortly before the update and man I am hooked.

Mzbundifund posted:

I swear chemical fascination is about the worst trait in the game now.

I took to stashing the non-social drugs in a small room and force-building a wall to seal it off as soon as the binges would start. Even when they don't waste your drugs, they become worthless zombies until it's up. It's like a permanent sadness with no cure.

One two occasions I got annoyed and just ordered the druggie arrested. Turns out this is a bad idea when said druggie is your colony's martial arts expert.

dyzzy fucked around with this message at 02:52 on Sep 2, 2016

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

HiroProtagonist posted:

So uh, I had no idea this could even happen. I'm still trying to figure out wtf happened to this boar, which I discovered as a dessicated skeleton accidentally while just surveying the map. Heart attack or limb removal? There are a couple wolves wandering around but I can't figure out what happened first.

e: and now I have one dude just smoking a J in the common room that we roughed off some cryptosleep capsuleers that turned hostile. :catdrugs: this update rules

The heart attack killed the boar. The limb removal is from the wolves eating the corpse after the boar died.

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

dyzzy posted:

I took to stashing the non-social drugs in a small room and force-building a wall to seal it off as soon as the binges would start. Even when they don't waste your drugs, they become worthless zombies until it's up. It's like a permanent sadness with no cure.

Why not just forbid the door?

HiroProtagonist
May 7, 2007

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

The heart attack killed the boar. The limb removal is from the wolves eating the corpse after the boar died.

That's what I figured, but still. A game that models wildlife heart attacks. :stonk::love:

dyzzy
Dec 22, 2009

argh

Atticus_1354 posted:

Why not just forbid the door?

When they go on binges they ignore restrictions. I wish it were so easy...

Atticus_1354
Dec 10, 2006

barkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbarkbark

dyzzy posted:

When they go on binges they ignore restrictions. I wish it were so easy...

Interesting. I only keep smokeleaf in my newest colonies and just let them smoke it up when they binge.

Elth
Jul 28, 2011

I've been farming massive amounts of smokeleaf as a cash crop, and keeping a steady stash of joints for your colonists does wonders to keep joy and mood levels up, as long as you have plenty of food. You might want to restrict use for your doctors so they don't perform surgery while stoned as hell though.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Elth posted:

You might want to restrict use for your doctors so they don't perform surgery while stoned as hell though.

Alternately, don't do that, because it's hilarious.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

is there a goon-approved tutorial series? it's not as hard as DF, but I'm definitely not building in the right order.

caedwalla
Nov 1, 2007

the eye has it

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Alternately, don't do that, because it's hilarious.

I don't think being high would make things any worse given "minor" surgery complications already involve the accidental removal of internal organs or limbs.

Crimson Harvest
Jul 14, 2004

I'm a GENERAL, not some opera floozy!

Famethrowa posted:

is there a goon-approved tutorial series? it's not as hard as DF, but I'm definitely not building in the right order.

The build order is this: freezer. That's the whole list of what's required.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
Where's the mod that lets me pit Prisoners against each other in a cage match?

Reztes
Jun 20, 2003

My doctor accidentally removed a prisoner's stomach instead of their lung, but then the colonists could still feed him, and his hunger need went up so :confused: Can dudes just not feed themselves without a stomach?

Also if I do Randy, do raids or events still scale at all, or am I gonna get a poison ship full of centipede crashing through my huts on day 5?

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Reztes posted:

My doctor accidentally removed a prisoner's stomach instead of their lung, but then the colonists could still feed him, and his hunger need went up so :confused: Can dudes just not feed themselves without a stomach?

Also if I do Randy, do raids or events still scale at all, or am I gonna get a poison ship full of centipede crashing through my huts on day 5?

Stomach removal causes their food need to decrease at a dramatically faster rate. One stomach-less prisoner can empty your freezer in like a season. Which is fairly realistic, the stomach just digests food so it can be more easily absorbed by the intestines. With no stomach it'd just slide right through from your mouth and you'd barely get any nutrition out of it.

Arianya
Nov 3, 2009

Reztes posted:

Raids still scale to colony wealth, same for stuff like ships, but bear in mind that Randy doesn't really have any sense of timing. He might dump 6 months of toxic fallout on y ou when your food reserves are nearly-up just for shits and giggles.

Aleth
Aug 2, 2008

Pillbug
Or he might send you a pack of friendly corgis followed by several cargo drops of corgi meat and leather.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tighran
Jun 28, 2004
Is there a general recommendation for how much food a person consumes? I either have people starving or am overwhelmed with crop foods. I think I read somewhere that a 5x5 plot per person is usually good? Any idea what this would equate to in hydroponic benches?