Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

Tsyni posted:

There are actually positive events too, like cargo pods. Beavers are neutral to good depending how you look at it. Visitors are neutral to good unless disease now I guess (though I haven't had a big problem with disease yet, maybe because of cold!). Anyway, sounds like the glass is half empty for you, chum.

I don't like these either. They're entirely arbitrary. Visitors don't exist to do anything, beavers are just occasional annoyances.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Z-Levels only work if you're Dwarf Fortress and insane or if you're not top down. I'd kill for a game that played exactly like this, but with the appearance of Cities Skylines and the ability to at least make watch towers and multi-story buildings.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

IAmTheRad posted:

I would like to weigh on the previous Dwarf Fortress talk.

You don't really get to know any of your dwarves in Dwarf Fortress. Sure you might look at their profile once or twice, but do you actually pay attention to every single dwarf when you have over 50? Rimworld is better at making stories about your colonists. Dwarf Fortress is more about the story of the Fortress itself.

I tend to give them all the names of people I know + historical figures, so I tend to remember when Hitler and my neighbour are married.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Sage Grimm posted:

PRO-TIP make the cubby holes you have your turrets in either roofed over or entirely dark if inside a room. Single biggest modifier towards not getting hit.

Inversely make everywhere else lit up so your turrets have no trouble hitting targets.

I had no idea this would affect the hit chance. Turns out, the Normandy defense is the best defense.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Besides, he's a relatively cool and chill guy with a good work ethic, so long as politics aren't mentioned. And Rimworld's a great game, I don't care even if Hitler himself made it.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Gibbo hates the game and the creator, so he feels inclined to insult both at every turn, pay him no mind.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Just played an hour with the rich guy start. It's pretty fun once a few wanderers come in, though my poor monkey died instantly to a panther. The Katamari soundtrack is a bit too fitting for this game though.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Broken Cog posted:

Is there any benefit to having chickens? I got two x10 waves of them early on, but I'm considering butchering them all, as they eat way more than they give.

Get them just a little bit of hay. That'll keep them going for a nice lengthy period of time. They provide eggs and more chickens, so they are a good source of meat and eggs while also being a nice trade commodity by themselves.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Nation posted:

Thanks its such a good game, any mods i should get?

Learn to play vanilla first, then get mods.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Popete posted:

Someone has never played a flight simulator.

And that's before the spergs modded it to high hell and added more planes and all the buttons clickable, working fully realistically.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Oh wow, didn't know the borg were so fruity in this game.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

IronicDongz posted:

How? Am I just supposed to build a stone wall all the way around my houses?

You can put down concrete/metal tiles, you can build a stone wall around the fire-risk areas or you could just have increased the size of your home area and had your people put the fire out.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

Just found something out that's a great tip:

Use doors on outward facing bunkers and hold them open so people can go past them quicker, but if you disable "hold them open", when your drafted people get in the bunkers they close the doors behind them. Having two-people bunkers is best in case a melee guy gets in which could otherwise be dangerous. My expansion plans involve making a third outer layer for turrets with a similar bunker layout, and switching from wood to steel walls along with concrete flooring to avoid fires.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

haven't played since before the first DLC dropped, I now own all of them, please tell me there is One Must Have Modpack by now, and is Randy still the way to play?