Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Playing through my first game with the Cthulhu series of mods, and I basically disregarded the mist monsters after the Mi-Go swarm proved itself to be a sad joke (I was expecting Cthulhutech-esque high tech assault, I got a volley of tentacle covered dipshits like particularly dumb maddened animals). This was a mistake. I nearly lost someone when they unexpectedly broke in a madness induced daze a bare minute into being outdoors. Thankfully I had another couple of guys come out to tackle and drag them into a nice, comfy indoors cell. I have since taken the corrective measure of walling off and roofing up much more space, because holy gently caress that was too close. Glad I had plenty of food stored up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Pharnakes posted:

Ok so I think I'm at the point now where I think I'm ready to start adventuring into the world. So I'm cooking survival meals for obvious reasons, but people keep eating them instead of the nice fresh stir fries and fine meals. Is there a way to define what people can eat like you can with drugs and clothes?
Not directly, but the pawn AI goes for the closest meal it can find. I'd bet that you've got the survival meals being stored in your central low-priority storage area? Just create a small survival meal only storage in an out of the way corner of your base (preferably near your drop pod loading zone or caravan spot if you've got that mod), and if you want to be really sure have a small freezer with meals between it and the main inhabited area.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

The General posted:

I would like more options for preserving food. I've always found it kinda dumb that the most important thing to do is get a freezer up ASAP to make sure you can have enough food to survive. Refrigeration is relatively new to us, and it's not like before that all anybody ate was pemmican.
Check out the mod RimCuisine. It's sort of like vegetable garden in that it adds crop and food preparation options, but it just adds food options that are very vanilla in style. No OP stews that add fucktons of manipulation and movement or whatever. This includes various cheap means of preserving food which take the edge off of needing a freezer. You'll want one, but it's more of a luxury than pure necessity. I did eliminate the steel requirement for canning (late game food preservation) in my copy of it on the grounds that it was dumb, but that's an easy fix.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Ratzap posted:

We've brewed up a bunch of wort but I haven't figured out what next. Barrels? Bottles? Nevermind, going dry will be fine, I'm sure...
You put wort in barrels to ferment, yes. Be careful about going dry I heard prohibition didn't work out

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

zenguitarman posted:

I've chosen pretty safe starts so far, but it seems like rice is broken, once you start growing it it grows so fast and you have a poo poo ton of it, it almost feels like cheating.
Rice actually gives you less food than corn in terms of nutrition per day, and takes more pawn time to sow and harvest repeatedly. In worse soil than normal potatos are the best though. I tend to grow a few fields of rice to start my food storage with, but I'll transition out of it after a reaping or two.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Pleads posted:

Does it make sense to stick primarily with rice if all your veggies are grown with hydroponics? In case of a solar flare, power outage, etc., you can fit in more harvests/get back into production in the event of total crop loss.

That's how I've been approaching it at least, maybe my logic is flawed.
Yeah, hydroponics is when it's smart to swap back to rice (solar flarrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre), but if you're using hydroponics manpower usually isn't an issue one way or another.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

What mod lets me anally core people? I'm legit curious.
I am almost entirely certain that it has to be Rimjob World (no seriously that's the name of the mod). Lemme just quote you the sections it uses to sell itself right on its main page with what I'm pretty sure is the bit which allows animal rectal coring in bold. I've gotten no further than the page on account of having taste, but feel free to make a trip report on systematic anal coring of prisoners or something. It's not worse than any of the other atrocities.

quote:

\\\ RIMJOBWORLD'S MAIN FEATURES

Adds body parts: genitals, anus & breasts.
Adds sex need to the game.
Adds rape to the game.
Adds comfort prisoner feature.
Adds pregnancy (this feature will be automatically disabled if you have Children & Pregnancy mod).
Adds 'simple' baby (this feature will be automatically disabled if you have Children & Pregnancy mod).
Adds whore bed: a colonist assigned to this bed will try to hook up with others.
Adds STDs.

\\\ NEW FEATURES

[NEW] Random rape mental breakdown.
Insects will now inject eggs while raping.
Mechanoids will now inject microcomputers while raping.
Added an option to sterilize vanilla animals.
Overhauled bestiality rape mechanism.
Added comfort colonist and comfort animal buttons. (NOTE: comfort animal button is still experimental and might not work as intended)
ABF is now a part of RimJobWorld! In case you're wondering, ABF was an extension of this mod that adds a new rape mechanics. Raiders will now rape incapacitated/knocked down/unconscious pawns who are enemies to them.
New whore beds and severed body parts textures.
Sex need decay rate option. Ever wonder what RimJobWorld means? Set this value to 1,000,000!
Wild mode option. No rules for sex. All limiting requirements are turned off. You can find it in options > mod settings.

Check the changelog for more info.
I have no idea what rectal coring is. Like, maybe goatse mixed with an infection because of rupturing?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Donkringel posted:

How well does rimworld run with the multiple cores? My games keep slowing down and crashing.
Rimworld is single threaded, thus only one core matters. There's a multi-thread mod that gives plant growth its own thread which works drat well and helps the game run a bit better especially on jungle maps (B18 anyway, no idea on current patch), but other multithread mods all create the sort of interesting bugs that showcase why multithreading needs to be in the design from the word go.

Kiranamos posted:

So if I'm hearing it correctly, there's a mod to rape prisoners and get rectal cored but not one that adds a balanced, functioning water system?
There's a hygiene mod that's neutral at worst early game, works poorly with Hospitality, and adds another set of mood buffs by midgame. There's another that adds a water need, but whose water system isn't compatible with the hygiene one. It adds labor early game, adds labor saving devices by midgame I guess? Honestly, water is kind of like the food need - it'd get sorted in a day or two or all the pawns are dead anyway. You can add the overhead if you want I guess but why though.

Complications fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Aug 11, 2018

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Donkringel posted:

Unless I misunderstood v1.0 has does have multitthreading which is why I was asking. I thought they rolled a mod into it?
Nope, the big change for 1.0 is 64 bit memory handling unlike the beta's 32 bit. It basically means you can have more than two Ludeonicrous grade maps in a session without suffering an out of memory crash, as well as working better late game as pawn relationships and such bloom (less need for Runtime GC mod). Increased performance also came from some backend calculation optimization of some variety.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Turtlicious posted:

I need a lot where the bears grow their own devil strains, and then get all hopped up on good balls and knock down your sand castle. You have to raid their farms.
I'm sure there's a bear people mod out there somewhere

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Gyshall posted:

what branch should I be playing on for the best experience?
do you want to run a stupid number of fairly stable mods ranging from QOL to all but total conversion? B18

do you want to play like you're colonizing mars with the one actual total conversion mod I found? A16

do you just want to play vanilla? 1.0/B19/whatever the latest version out is called

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

moot the hopple posted:

I have a sloppy breastwork of wooden walls and sandbags placed in front of the paths where past attacks have approached, but other than that I'm clueless. I'm also not very happy with my freezer's layout and having issues with keeping it consistently at freezing temperatures.

EDIT: Also have a geothermal on the right blocked out for future energy usage.
For insulation, freezers and otherwise, double walls are supreme. If it's reasonably high traffic as that one looks like it is, you'll want to have the entrances be airlocks. The airlocks should be three long with doors at either end. Something like the below:

xxx
d d
xxx

After you have a few months of rice stored and it's coming into spring, consider swapping to corn. It's about the same grow-time-to-nutrition efficiency, but involves less pawn labor. After you have more components and steel available, consider greenhousing your crops to ensure higher reliability vis a vis winter, toxic fallout, etc.

Your defenses are reasonably solid for where you are, alternating sandbags and walls is pretty good cover if you can force the enemy to take it head on. Consider building out some walls just inside your weapons' range to ensure that the enemy doesn't end up flanking your cover. Consider following the Civ2 advisor's word and BUILD CITY WALLS anyway - E.G. just a giant wall around your entire planned colony area minus your special visitor entrances/killboxes. If/when you get domestic animals it'll keep them from being predated assuming you use animal zones like you should. Speaking of walls, it looks like you're on your way to replacing wood walls with stone ones - good. Fire is a swift teacher on the benefits of fireproof walls. One slightly unintuitive tip; when you have to fight a fire indoors, make sure to deconstruct external walls before sending your pawns in else they'll fry. Here are a bunch of raiders demonstrating the principle for your amusement.

Other than that, when in doubt don't hesitate to set up chokepoints and killboxes prior to engaging fun things that don't attack immediately. If infantry is the queen of the battlefield, artillery is the king, and we all know what the king does to the queen.

Have fun.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Facebook Aunt posted:

Butchering also produces weirdly valuable human leather, and if you make the mistake of letting them make clothes out of it most colonists will also get a mood penalty for wearing human leather. But you can avoid that by not allowing it for crafting and just selling it instead. Nobody wants the clothes a corpse died in but all factions are happy to buy the skins. :shrug:
Head into the Assign menu, edit the outfit choice. Deselect one particular piece of clothing you don't use anyway, then in the crafting bill set it to use human leather exclusively. Just make sure that your materials selection for other clothes doesn't include human leather (IIRC it doesn't by default anyway).

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Danaru posted:

None of Rainbeau's mods are updated to B19 and I'm gettin' scared :saddowns:
He's probably just burnt out. There are some people in the Ludeon thread doing unofficial updating, and the license terms he set allow for folks to do whatever with the mods as long as they let him know so they're not in any danger. Just check out the last few pages of the thread, and keep an eye out in case other folks do some continuations. You'll need to know how to install mods on Rimworld without the Steam Workshop, but that's pretty easy.

Also more reliable, since you don't need an internet connection for those to work.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Sten Freak posted:

Anyone know the mod name that removes taint? I don't mind clothing but it seems a waste to dump marine armor.
Holy Washer is what you're looking for.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Synthbuttrange posted:

A rimworld lp where the succeeding player just adds all the mods that they require. By the end the game is a horrifying mess of catgirls.
Catgirls with a dozen tentacles in place of each of their limbs, you mean.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Some total lunatic fellow's been making a multiplayer mod and just overcame one of the last major technical difficulties in the way. RimAlong seems to have solved the ongoing desynchronization problem. Might be something folks here would be interested in keeping an eye on.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Vasudus posted:

I think I need to start on at least 300x300. I just did a 275x275 or whatever the higher medium one is and I had the entire place stripped to the wires by year 2.5 or so.

It doesn't help that I had a toxic fallout for two seasons in two years, causing me to go into a mad frenzy to harvest every plant and animal on the screen as I could before the fallout killed it.
One alternative you might consider is perhaps downgrading one map size notch, adjusting the number of allowed colonies to 2 in the options menu, and making yourself a series of mining outposts to ship goods back whether by drop pod or caravan. A small mining outpost stripping maps clean in addition to deep mining will keep you rolling in stuff for quite a while. Downside is that if you're not relatively diligent in shipping stuff back home, the outpost might attract too big a raid to handle.

Otherwise, the logistics shouldn't be that big an issue.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003 posted:

I also have no idea what sizes my stockpiles need to be or what the best setup for crafting is. I've made it decently far in this map but we're basically eating rice + insect meat pemmican as fast as I can make it. One of my guys is researching electricity but he's been doing that for loving ages.
You can build and use multiple research benches if you can support however many pawns doing research.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Cup Runneth Over posted:

Fluffy's Research Tree is such an obvious, flawless improvement to the vanilla game that I often forget it's a mod at all. I've all but completely forgotten what the vanilla Research tab looks like, I just remember it sucks by comparison.
I tried that out. If you have a hundred plus mods with a bunch of them adding entire mini-trees of tech, that tab becomes a giant horror that's impossible to navigate. I actually like the vanilla one better. For just a couple mods though it does look like it'd be pretty good.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Donkringel posted:

I have a weird rear end motherfucking problem.

All my pets are stoned on edibles. I got a mod that implements a marijuana industry. Entire mod is 100% "POT WILL FIX EVERYTHING". I want to make some brownies, so I set "Infused Butter" to unlimited. Lots of bud mixed with milk.

Turns out the butter is flagged for trainer food. So all my animals are being trained with raw pot butter. This is making them all sick and stoned. My message screen is yellow letter notifications that "So and So has Edible Sickness. Cause: Large Edible Tolerance (MASSIVE)". STOP FEEDING THE BOOMALOPES POT BUTTER YOU FUCKS.
You must now employ the Rimworld standard mistake disposal technique

1. Move all of your evidence of your mistake (butter) to a stockpile on a big pad of concrete or outside your stone wall

2. Forbid the mistake

3. De-home zone the area

4. Molotov

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Donkringel posted:

But I want to make pot brownies and sell them for advanced components so I can churn out overpowered android people.
Just sell crack like a normal person

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Remember that multiplayer mod getting built? A different one just had its first public release. It's not feature complete and apparently has some lag problems, but, well, first public release of a mod doing very fundamental things to a game. It's to be expected.

Have fun.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

"While the men of learning play with their quill pens, sire, our cities' defenses stay as thin as parchment. BUILD CITY WALLS!"

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

So how has Many Goons One Colony gone? Have enough penises been drawn on the map?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

SetPhazers2Funk posted:

Was there a multiplayer mod that went up recently? I thought someone had posted about it here but can't find the reference.
Here.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Rimfridge turns a 4x4 space into a 2x2 or smaller space for smaller colonies, but it's not like I wasn't making small freezers like that right by my dining room anyway. Autodoor and cooler for a small space works out to have the same effect anyway.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Warmachine posted:

I know y'all are sick of my image posting
You:

A: Crop your images to sane sizes

B: Use timg

and anybody who complains is thus a tit. Keep posting they're good.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Paramemetic posted:

So the toxic fallout has kicked off. It's my first time with it so I'm gonna see how it goes but for future reference is there a way to disable events specifically once a playthrough has begun?
Save editing. They're all text files so pull out the old Notepad++ and go to town. Start a game with some incidents disabled as a primer, then go nuts on the other one. They're near the top of the file, so you won't have to scroll much.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

jokes posted:

Yeah Randy is the best for making you feel safe and secure and also shattering that safety/security and also making you feel safe and secure again and again and again.

I found out that people mostly/only build mountain homes. I'd like to know the proper way to build in a plain outside. I want to build a wall with 1-3 chokepoints laden with traps and junk but don't know what the pathfinding rules are.
Other than putting 4 killzones in at 90 degree intervals this basically still applies

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gXFVTjaBzOk

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Asking him about his clothing choices before "offering him a chance" to think about his health? Are you running one of those colonies? Is the Hague going to have to get involved again?

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

jerman999 posted:

How do you vent the heat from burning out the bugs? I had an infestation trap room in one colony but it was a pain to hold open doors to get the heat down.
Ensure that the hallways going to the trap room are 2 wide with a door and wall at their ends, deconstruct the wall half of the doorways from the outside in. Heat will vent after you deconstruct the final wall into the room. You'll lose a bit in raw materials rebuilding, but it's easy and fast and if you've got active heating/cooling it shouldn't take long to get back to a normal temperature after.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Nalesh posted:

Kinda tempted to add the zombie mod but not sure, any of you use it?
I tried a couple zombie mods out. They change the game to make combat more of a continuous stream than the occasional spike but frankly zombies are a very solvable problem that then insulates you against anything except drop pod raids coming right into the middle of your base. Downside is that normal ground side traders also can't get through, but the existence of orbital traders simply means that you do more with them instead. Overall it's a novelty that'll wear off fairly quickly, especially once you get tired of the continuous weapon fire sounds. And I mean continuous. There'll always be something, somewhere firing at things that are moderately threatening at best.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

A Moose posted:

Couple questions that I'm pretty sure have been answered:

Is there a way to fix a Frail torso? One of my guys got that for a birthday present so I gave him a bionic spine, but that doesn't seem to counteract it anymore.

What kind of caravan do I have to call to get a chance to buy a Boomalope? I have 2 males, need a female.

How bad are the side effects of being resurrected?
DE Surgeries has what you need. It'll cost a couple glitter medicine, though if you're casually welding bionics into place I'd bet you've got a reserve. Nothing in vanilla to fix it AFAIK.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Garfu posted:

See you soon
Impressive. My total's only 141, and I'm actively running perhaps a hundred ten at the moment.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Warmachine posted:

I'm having a heck of a time figuring out how to answer my question of "how do I stop raids from ruining my haygrass fields?" It's not that the raiders are setting my poo poo on fire, but that my cannons are blowing giant craters in the fields as they geek the incoming pirates. Pushing my defense line out in front of the fields would be a bit of a challenge since the terrain is less than optimal that far forward. And I'm not giving up my cannons. They're too useful when 100+ person raids show up to delete a good chunk of them before they even get into firing range.
Build a wall two or three tiles thick outside the fields with an undoored, untrapped entrance with a relatively sizable S-bend in it. Or, two or three S-bends at different cardinal directions, whatever. Drop cannon fire outside the entrance and/or inside a large S-Bend and blow up/weaken the raids, then repair the wall. Leave your defense line where it is and when raiders get inside oh well who cares, guess you're gonna have to crater a field. If you think the raiders will single-file the entrance and make artillery firing them impractical then make the inside of the S sizable enough that you can drop cannon fire into the middle and be relatively certain you're not going to crater a field.

Leave your actual defense line where it is; the point of the entrance is to just funnel enemies into an area that'll keep your crops insulated from artillery fire. So, no roofs over the entrace.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

If your colony is at the point where you can sustain enough animals to make meat a staple but its costing you in processing, then that's the time to look for a mod to let you plant meat or something. I made myself an egg plant before things like Synthmeat and A Mod About Meat became available and that's as easy as a bit of copy and paste, but mods might float your boat more. They're OP if you don't have self restraint and use them before you're at the point of ranching, but whatever it's a single player game anyway.

If you just want to rip my laziness off place this somewhere in a plant def. It is OP as gently caress, since it's meant to substitute for an arbitrarily large chicken farm so act accordingly.
code:
<ThingDef ParentName="PlantBase">
    <defName>PlantEggPlant</defName>
    <label>egg plant</label>
    <description>A genetically modified plant that produces chicken eggs. Needs fertile soil to grow well.</description>
    <statBases>
      <MaxHitPoints>150</MaxHitPoints>
    </statBases>
    <graphicData>
      <texPath>Things/Plant/SmokeleafPlant</texPath>
      <graphicClass>Graphic_Random</graphicClass>
    </graphicData>
    <selectable>true</selectable>
    <pathCost>12</pathCost>
    <ingestible>
      <nutrition>0.30</nutrition>
    </ingestible>
    <plant>
			<fertilitySensitivity>1.0</fertilitySensitivity>
			<dieIfLeafless>true</dieIfLeafless>
			<reproduces>false</reproduces>
			<harvestTag>Standard</harvestTag>
			<harvestedThingDef>EggChickenUnfertilized</harvestedThingDef>
			<harvestYield>6</harvestYield>
			<sowTags>
				<li>Ground</li>
				<li>Hydroponic</li>
			</sowTags>
			<topWindExposure>0.35</topWindExposure>
			<growDays>11.3</growDays>
			<visualSizeRange>
        <min>0.3</min>
        <max>1.4</max>
      </visualSizeRange>
    </plant>
  </ThingDef>

Complications fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jan 24, 2019

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Sillybones posted:

Don't you guys read all the descriptions :spergin:
I... uh... no. Of course I... don't. What kind of hopeless nerd would go out of their way to read descriptions of everything and even check out different quality items to see if it changed beyond an art description? Certainly not me.

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

Incoming Chinchilla posted:

The most interesting part is definitely - can you start in a desperate situation and stabilise?
It sounds like you want to experience a Crash Landing. Have fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Complications
Jun 19, 2014

bird food bathtub posted:

Are there no mods that remove "the vision" and just let you keep playing without the obscene ramp-up if you don't leave on Tynan's schedule?
Marv's Combat Readiness Check lets you gently caress around with raid scaling which I'm pretty sure is what you're complaining about. If you don't want to get ultradunked by Lord Humunglitter after making a cool statue then install that and mess with the options. You can also turn off infestations if you like when starting a scenario. Also play with Randy.