Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

John Diefenbaker is a madman who thinks he's John Diefenbaker.
Pillbug

Kestral posted:

This is wisdom. People absolutely sleep on caravanning, it’s incredibly useful: not only do you get Stuff You Need, it lets you set up a cycle of colony wealth management, reducing the effectiveness of raids by making your colony leaner and better-equipped. Once you have things to sell and a spare Social pawn to haul them, get trading with your neighbors ASAP and never stop.

In addition to this, one can get around 150 components from each deposit found by long-range mineral scanning -- an established colony probably has the resources to spare a good miner and some animals with decent carrying capacity for the caravan. Depending on biome, it's probably also useful to send someone who's good enough with plants and construction to chop down some trees and throw a shack together, since it usually takes a few days to get through a big lump of compacted machinery.

Of course, this kind of mining excursion is even easier with mods that add transport shuttles; it's great to land the shuttle right by a lump of minerals to mine, with two colonists and a bunch of prebuilt furniture dropping onto the ground. It doesn't take long at all to set up a nice homey wood cottage while the mining expert is getting to work, then it's similarly quick to uninstall all of the furniture to load it back into the shuttle on the way back to the colony.

I tend to pack a bit less for deposits of gold or jade, since those can be mined out by the time the a full room is furnished. Plasteel deposits take a bit longer, with components taking the most time in my experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Garfu posted:

Softened some edges and added some aesthetics, now it's looking a lot better. Thanks for the recommendations! I'll still likely do a mountain base soon but this is feeling a bit more cozy:

Edit: the hospital symbol is super out of place though, gonna remove that.

why is your stuff just sitting on the floor instead of packed thrice densely on some nice pretty shelves!?

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
Through all of the documentation and discussion about Biotech, I somehow had a fundamental misunderstanding about archogenes and hemogen -- based on nothing, I had been thinking that using any archogene created a regular hemogen need, rather than ... 🤷‍♂️ I guess I still don't actually know what xenogenetic combinations cause this, but at least I've figured out that the neat archogenes I've accumulated only need archite capsules to create super-colonists.

I'm glad I have an individual copy of the archite metabolism gene; I had a colonist who got a permanent gunshot injury to the brain, capping consciousness at 18% and leaving them in a permanent coma, and I threw them in a biosculptor pod to restore them to full health after 1.5 quadrums. They seemed like a great first candidate for some archogenes, and now they're scarless, unstoppable, have super-fast wound healing, and archite metabolism means they need even less food than a baseline human despite these enhancements.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
Through a combination of patience, luck, and some light cheating via mods (transport shuttle specifically, to hit a half-dozen friendly outposts for trading in the span of a few days), my most recent colony has accumulated some extremely powerful xenogenes and enough archite capsules to implant them into all of my combat-oriented colonists. The most recent raid was ~25 outlanders against four colonists who were/had:
  • deathless
  • scarless
  • unstoppable
  • superfast (400%) wound healing
  • superclotting
in addition to being full of bionic/archotech parts and having marine armor and pulse-charged weapons.

This would make for some great storytelling from the attackers who survived and fled, like

quote:

"How did we lose? You weren't there -- yeah, there were only four of them, but they all had heavy power armor and pulse weapons, and I don't care what they look like, they are not baseliners. I took one of them down with a bullet to the heart; I figured she was dead since the rest of them just left her there, didn't even try patching her up or anything. Turns out, not only was she not dead, but toward the end of the battle she got back up and kept fighting -- she killed two more of us before we could get the hell out of there.

That actually happened; superclotting and scarless make it unnecessary to rush to treat wounds, so everyone else could either continue fighting or stay safely indoors. I hadn't realized superfast wound healing could be effective enough to bring someone back from pain shock during a fight, though :unsmigghh:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
lol @ awful artwork having negative beauty

I figured it was time to start prettying up the colony in my recent tribal naked brutality run, starting in tundra close to the north pole -- now that no one's at acute risk of freezing or starving to death, getting rid of those negative moodlets is worthwhile. We only have three colonists and no one is good at or has any passion for art, and I actually laughed out loud when I saw Cheetah's first small sculpture with a beauty rating of -5. At least she tried :allears:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
From what I see, that's the behavior with vanilla shelves and hauling, with the same effect on hauling urgently with the Allow Tool mod.

Thanks for that description also; I hadn't conceptualized it as "the hauling destination is claimed by a single pawn until that haul job is complete or canceled", and it might have taken me a while to articulate that behavior in such a concise way.

On the topic of hauling and storage, I really like the look of having the same item type stored in a localized area -- does anyone know of or use any mods like that? This can sort of be accomplished by having specific shelves/storage with higher priority for a certain item type, to do something like "this set of shelves is only for steel, once they're full steel can be put elsewhere also", but this means empty shelves which aren't usable for anything else if the stockpile of a certain type of resource starts to dwindle.

What I want could probably be implemented in multiple ways:
  • When placing an item, prioritize an open spot next to another item of the same type (so a stack of plasteel would preferentially be placed next to more plasteel)
  • Multiple tiers of item priority for one storage unit/zone, like "this spot is Important for raw vegetables and Preferred for raw meat" -- this might mean some extra shuffling of items between shelves after a big corn harvest or hunting expedition, but I'm okay with that

I've never written a RImworld mod and it's been almost twenty years(!) since I've written a line of C#, but the first storage idea seems like it might not be too bad to implement if no one is aware of anything like this. The second idea (multiple tiers of priority) seems like it'll need some additional user interface work which I'd be much less inclined to do.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
Awesome, thanks so much! I searched the workshop a bit but didn't see anything that looked like what I wanted, since evidently I wasn't choosing my search terms very well.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
Does anyone know of a simple mod that allows ignoring prisoner ideology for xenogerm implantation? I searched the workshop and found a few mods that were close, but nothing that does this.

I find it a little strange that I can remove prisoner limbs and body parts, but can't implant a xenogerm if the prisoner's ideology sets preferred xenotypes. They're a prisoner; they don't have a choice!

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

The Lone Badger posted:

You can't disrespect someone's fursona.

silentsnack posted:

or you just gotta forcibly convert them to your ideologion before you can whip out the Bimbo Gene injector or whatev?

Yeah, I guess I could do that, it just seems like a weird gameplay mechanic for something that shouldn't be an issue.

And when I tried to do this, it was to implant 'violence disabled' into a yttakin attacker who wasn't worth organ-harvesting -- I wasn't going to interfere with their fursona!

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Captain Monkey posted:

until the bugs come.

I'm always happy to meet some bugs; they're by far the best source of meat for kibble.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
This is the first game in which I've made a lot of use of psychic animal pulsers, and, uh, wow :stare:

Drop pod raid scattered over the map? Get everyone inside the walls and push the button. And maybe a few attackers will survive after the wild animals fall asleep, to not only make up for the cost of the pulser, but turn a nice profit!

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
I'm relatively picky with pawn traits and skill passions when deciding who to convert and recruit among surviving attackers, but until this (naked brutality tribal) game I've never realized that I should also pay attention to the pawn's social connections.

I wondered why no pawns were hooking up, checked the social tab to verify that opinions are high enough, and then saw that a few had spouses in different factions. Oops.

My first recruit's husband happened to be one of the attackers in the past, and I was careful to incapacitate him without killing him, to reunite the couple. Everything went well, and now they're a tough/brawler melee powerhouse couple full of archogenetics and archotech parts, with two children, so I was pretty surprised to see the husband initiate an affair with the colony founder. I didn't think he had anything to complain about, until seeing:

There was one raid relatively recently which was full of my colonists' family members -- far too many tribal attackers to be able to go easy on family. Of everyone who could have killed Mandrill's dad, it had to be his wife?

At least he's still hate-loving her regularly!

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

hopeandjoy posted:

Solution: get the mod that turns off the preset names and backgrounds.

link please (or at least the name)

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
Oh yeah, I saw that a long time ago but didn't see the need for it at the time, and forgot the name/description when searching recently.

It was neat the first time I saw Yuu 'Hakuja' Ito roll as a random pawn in scenario setup, and progressively less interesting each subsequent time I see that pawn in random encounters, so I'm looking forward to installing that mod for future colonies.

Thanks!

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
Does anyone know of a mod that separates construction work into two jobs: one for constructing things that have quality levels like furniture, and one job for things that don't, like walls, production buildings, and such? (I guess smoothing walls and floors would be in the second category too.)

I have a pawn with double passion in construction but 0 skill and I'd rather they get some experience on stuff that doesn't matter, without throwing away resources building and deconstructing things.

I looked through the workshop at some of the job mods but didn't see anything like this, which makes me think it's non-trivial to do.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Lysidas posted:

Does anyone know of a mod that separates construction work into two jobs: one for constructing things that have quality levels like furniture, and one job for things that don't, like walls, production buildings, and such? (I guess smoothing walls and floors would be in the second category too.)

I have a pawn with double passion in construction but 0 skill and I'd rather they get some experience on stuff that doesn't matter, without throwing away resources building and deconstructing things.

I looked through the workshop at some of the job mods but didn't see anything like this, which makes me think it's non-trivial to do.

This is from several pages back now, but thanks for all of the replies to this. The "Improve This" mod is exactly what I didn't know I wanted.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
I'm playing with Alpha Animals for the first time, after previously having Alpha Biomes installed, and I started a Naked Brutality tribal colony in feralisk-infested jungle. It's actually a rather nice environment, with rich soil around some natural chokepoints, so my colonists don't need to venture outside the walls too much.

It is funny, though, that a lot of other factions are starting to dislike me due to visiting and getting killed by the local fauna -- I've heard of as mod called something like "Not My Fault", and I might have to install that for this colony 😅

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
oh god manhunter skiphound pack

the walls do nothing

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
hell yeah, legendary hyperweave kid tribalwear

I really enjoy modded functionality to manufacture glitter-tech items, especially with glitterworld medicine being a component of armor-enhancing mechanites (flat 50% reduction of incoming damage, from the FSF bionics expansion).

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

SniperWoreConverse posted:

Forested swamps are maybe one of the underrated vanilla biomes I think. The cost of course is that literally everything can burn

or just spend real-time months using moisture pumps to dry out the land

I'm playing with Dubs Bad Hygiene for the first time too, and I'm not finding it too onerous even in a naked brutality tribal start. I'm in tundra with a very short growing season, which means mostly non-renewable wood (not enough time in the year for trees to grow to maturity before dying), and refining fecal sludge into chemfuel is feeling a little overpowered in meeting the colony's energy needs.

edit: Though I'm having a hard time understanding how an outdoor primitive well works when it's -52C

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Feb 22, 2024

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Lysidas posted:

I'm playing with Dubs Bad Hygiene for the first time too

Oh man does this complicate caravan trips to mine some stuff picked up by a long-range mineral scanner.

I did not prepare for this first trip appropriately and the colonist who's charged with mining out some plasteel is having a bad time 🥵

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

This is really neat, but I hadn't realized upon installing that it's treated as a separate map with no automatic pathing between the two. I'd been hoping to use it as a portable prefab shelter for long range mineral scanner expeditions, and it still looks useful for that, but I'm not enthralled with having to micromanage that colonist's schedule to make sure they're inside the RV during sleep time so they don't get a negative moodlet from sleeping on the ground when there's a nice warm comfy bed inside the RV.

I'm guessing this is an engine limitation that would be very difficult to work around, but fingers crossed that this'll be feasible at some point.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Archenteron posted:

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1523058989

Here's a mod that makes a repackable prefab housing, along with a portable chemfuel-powered campfire-analogue. Mod maintainer just announced they're going to update it for 1.5 as well

This looks really neat; thanks!

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Flesh Forge posted:

There is a mod called Search and Destroy that is very good, can't vouch for whether it works in 1.5 yet
e: sadly it looks like not, although it sounds like the author is going to update it

I get a ton of use out of Search and Destroy, but in my experience, enabling it for a pawn keeps them from attacking turrets automatically, which they would do if drafted with no other orders and Search and Destroy disabled.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Inadequately posted:

I'm going to be the voice of dissent here and say that the Mystery Flesh Pit stuff looks cool and fun and is everything I wanted from a horror-themed Rimworld expansion. Also this is just the very first thing previewed so anyone going 'hard pass, maybe if it was a different aesthetic' might want to hold off since there's always a chance that could be the exact next thing they'll show off.

Same -- I'm really looking forward to dealing with the Mystery Flesh Pit and lots of the other eldritch horror wreaked by insane or malevolent machine superintelligence(s). I'm not sure whether I'll want to engage with all of the horror in every single game, but I'm definitely looking forward to exploring each Anomaly scenario at least once.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
lol @ the Allow Tool mod breaking ghouls

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I've tried the Researchers start twice, and I firmly recommend against it. It isn't just that you have only two useful colonists to do the usual-setup colony work AND research the monolith/monsters. It's that the ghoul must have meat all the time, and guess what it does if it runs out? I was running frantically to keep the colony ticking over and the ghoul fed, and monolith research barely happened.

I'm playing a colony with this start, too, and it doesn't feel particularly slow to me since I had usually been playing naked brutality tribal -- my issue with this play-through is that I wasn't as picky about starting colonists since I'm playing on lower difficulty to get a feel for the new mechanics.

One has double passion in shooting, melee, and mining, and minor passion in constructing, but (I hadn't noticed this) is incapable of intellectual and crafting.

The other was a 15-year-old who somehow has cirrhosis and started with an alcohol addiction, which was straightforward enough to manage until the colony ran out of the beer she had on hand when crash-landing. She's good at plants and artistic, though no one has had any time to make any art yet.

So the 15-year-old has been doing all of the research and stone-cutting as we're digging into a nearby mountain, and is also responsible for making parkas and tuques to keep everyone warm, in addition to growing food to keep everyone from starving, since the ghoul gets first priority for raw meat.

We just had a transport pod crash with the crafting and intellectual incapable pawn's daughter -- she was addicted to wake-up and alcohol, and also had paralytic abasia! With how tricky it's been to manage everyone's needs and moods, I'd probably not have let her join the colony if not for the family connection and for the fact that she can't throw tantrums while going through two kinds of withdrawal at once 😅

Lysidas fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Apr 13, 2024

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
I'm finding ghouls (or at least the single starter one for the researcher start) to be really useful in clearing out the debris/junk that has to be attacked to be destroyed -- previously I'd wait to clean those up until the colony was developed enough to have someone whose effort wasn't really necessary to keep everyone alive.

Now, there's zero opportunity cost for having a ghoul tear apart something like an ancient warwalker torso, because they wouldn't be doing anything else useful in that time either!

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Jack Trades posted:

Huh..thanks. That's hosed up considering that she has double flame for melee skill and her shooting skill sucks.

That moodlet has nothing to do with her passion or skill; it's from her ideoligion. So once again: convert her, the nice way or otherwise.

Is it hosed up that a particular ideoligion would suppress members' natural inclinations or abilities in favor of conformity? :thejoke:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug

Jelly posted:

Any tips for converting someone to an ideology who is particularly stubborn? Are there times you just need to cut people loose?

Arrest, imprison, set prisoner interaction to Convert, then switch to Release when they’ve seen the light.

If they’re iron-willed or similar, this might take a while, but all (non-unwavering) pawns convert eventually.

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
I'm enjoying my second play-through with Anomaly -- restarted with the scenario tweak to have three starting colonists and one ghoul.

I've avoided most spoilers about what's in store for higher levels of anomaly activity, except for revenants, and I'm being a little paranoid with how much preparation I want to do before attuning the monolith.

I was lucky enough to get a gene pack with 'psychically deaf' from a trader, and the colony's initial nuclear reactor is almost online. After that, I think it's time for :unsmigghh:

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
The colony got a request from the leader of another faction, to ... accept an item? And a reward? Sure, why not?

The thing arrived by drop pod, and it was something hadn't encountered before -- executed another entity in containment, to open up a spot for the new thing. Chained it up, and a revenant reformed its body from its spine :stare:

Surely nothing bad will come of this. (According to the numbers I can see, it's well contained!)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lysidas
Jul 26, 2002

Pillbug
Oh god it just keeps spreading

So much flesh

maybe fake edit: this reminds me of playing Creeper World 3; I approve