Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fayk posted:

Still having fun with the game. Learned a few things.

Seems to me like Animals is one of the slowest things to raise and worst 'failure' case (ie, try again another day, potentially angering animal) so might have to be something I actually watch for on reroll. Add to this my top animals-stat person from my starting crew was also my miner. And my cook.

Oh, also, 'night owl' isn't bad at all, except gently caress having that on my animals person. They lose 8 hours of potential taming time or so due to wild animal sleep schedules. Easily learned lesson, but unexpected.

I'll probably eventually need a better fridge/etc layout. I really wish when my cook is going to cook 10 things in a row that they'd grab as much food as they could carry from the freezer at once, rather than making 100 trips (thus raising the temperature).

So I started recently and used to think animals sucked, then I managed to train a few wild boars and gave them haul so they started carrying stuff around for me, after a while of breeding I had like 30 wild boars all constantly hauling chunks/crops/everything for me and it was amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Fayk posted:

So, uh...

I haven't seen a single bit of plasteel yet. I've basically researched everything on the left side of the research menu that isn't gated on the analyzer or whatever it was. I haven't seen any traders come by with it.

I've done nothing with caravans, but I'm not very close to any settlements (newbie mistake?).

What's the right way to proceed. There are probably tons of things I'm not considering just because I don't know what's possible in the game, nothing in it is really leading me past the stage I'm in.

I haven't seen any mechanoids or whatever they're called yet either.

I haven't called many caravans TO me because I'm not sure how to be sure I've got enough stuff to sell that I recoup the costs of requesting their visit. (And I find the trade beacon placement/stuff kinda annoying, personally).

Caravan for a little plasteel enough to start deep drilling then you will find plenty.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Decided to install a "curated modpack" was kinda fun until half my pawns decided to leave and form their own faction leaving me without a cook or grower and completely crippled, was a bit extreme.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I've been enjoying this but I always end up in a death spiral 1-2 deaths is usually enough to ruin my colony especially if they served some important role others can't fit.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Is there anything to make the combat more in depth, it feels like after you get some gun turrets going you pretty much coast to victory beyond the occasional mortar/bug infestation.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Whats your idea of more depth? Cause there are mods that up gun lethality and include a dozen variants of AK rifles, but I doubt you mean that.

I guess a way of making things engaging beyond turrets + more turrets but I guess that is pushing the limit of what a sim like this is meant to do.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Thefluffy posted:

you morons know you can always adjust the difficulty and even story tellers mid game if you get your poo poo slapped too hard. right?

That is literally what several people have suggested, perhaps you need to lose your abrasive trait?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

That Works posted:

I have got probably the nicest start to a colony yet. Finally learning enough to get one set up well without wasting a ton of time and poo poo and have been lucky with not getting a huge disaster early in.

Only problem I've had is every captive I've managed to recruit, or rescued person is incapable of dumb labor so I've got a whole colony of dilettantes and dirty floors... I hate these little shits.

If they suck just let them go instead of recruiting them, you need dumb labor dudes and once you recruit someone it is way harder to get rid of them.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I love most things about this game but diseases piss me off, I typically do tribal start and 80% of the time a plague or something will wipe out half my colonies, if you loose your doctor/grower/someone vital early on it's just too hard to recover and too hard early on to do anything about it.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They need some sort of fridge truck in vanilla.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Popete posted:

I'm just jumping back into this after not playing for probably at least a year.

Can you travel around the planet? Like can I leave the starting map at all?

Do quests, they are good for you even if the reward they offer is not great the reputation is good and the locations you go to usually have decent loot.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

They should change the waybraids scale of they going to try to need every way of dealing with large numbers except mortars so far.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I'd like a sequel to this to treat combat differently. Losses for you are so much worse then losses for the enemy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Stairmaster posted:

This game needs trains

Only if a stress reaction causes pawns to tie other pawns to the tracks.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Was having a hard time keeping my noble happy, luckily I got a Love Enhancer Implant and put it in his wife he's now at max mood at all times, historically accurate!

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

If they are going to nerf traps they need to make recruitment/fighting easier. Right now losing a pawn is a huge deal and replacing them can be difficult/up to rng. Also while I'm at it I hate explosives, if you don't notice one guy with a nade or rocket launcher you are bound to lose several people especially if you can't turret them as well.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Wilekat posted:

I'm presuming the answer is yes to this, but this IS Rimworld - if you have multiple nobles that require a throne room, will one throne room count for all of them, or do they all need separate thrones?

I'm just imagining three Counts all vying for the biggest throne room.

Nope actually I accidently built 2 thrones and it gave me a popup that you can't have two thrones in the same room unless your Noble is married.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I once turned my prison into a cat Cafe and it worked pretty well. Also worked well when one went berzerk or there was a prison break.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Anyone having a weird issue with doctors like refusing to treat patients, I have it as their only priority one skill and my people keep dying while the doctor is off doing poo poo like making stone blocks and hunting. Unless I right click for treatment they will ignore them for days at a time.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Keeshhound posted:

Out of curiosity, do you need to play ball with the empire, or can you just raid them? I've seen on streams and the like that they have towns like any other faction.

Yes there's a alternative questline that pops up for exactly this.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

A Moose posted:

no matter how hard I savescum, 2/3 of my colony get the plague followed by a colony-ending event like huge sapper raid or infestation. if I fight the threat, all my guys die of plague. if I don't they just roll over me. Guess Randy has just decided this is the end.

Never be afraid to disable certain incidents during game creation.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Got the new ending, it was very rough at the end there had nonstop pod drops on my base the last few days. Near the end there I only had a handful of pawns left, my lord and the one I was protecting were stuck in a bunker together I had a psychic harmonizer on my lord to help keep the other happy while everyone died outside. I was worried for a bit when my lord's wife died but I had a stash of emergency drugs on hand to help him through that.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Psychic female/male has been a thing for a long time.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Telsa Cola posted:

Yes its been updated.

Also today I learned the bloodlust trait also lets you wear human skin clothing for bonus mood.

Twice the Lord I got for the final quest in the royal questline had bloodlust, made him very fancy royal human skin clothes was easy to keep him happy.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Flesh Forge posted:

It's probably a simple raid, it might be a site you'd have to go clear but I would bet it's a raid. You can always just savescum it if you want.

That reminds me something I don't see others do often but they should, pack up and go murder raider bases off the map tons of free poo poo easier then you'd think and you get huge rep bonuses with basically everyone.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

I like to stack the quests together so the mechanoid cluster gets to eat the tribal raids that are hitting the same time.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Duck and Cover posted:

- Their eating raw meat over safe nutrient paste that's dumb. If I had wanted to set up cooking I would have done so and probably wouldn't even have the nutrient dispenser. I think the default should be them eating the paste instead of raw uncooked meat, but maybe I'm crazy like that.

- That doesn't solve me just telling units to kill animals and them not hauling them off. It doesn't matter that it's not the proper way. Why wouldn't I want that? Because I'm role playing a vegetarian town and needed to kill a manhunter? Okay but in general I'm going to want them to haul the thing I killed instead of wandering off.

Better than Dwarf Fortress does not equal good. Besides you not having issues (which you very well might have but ignore/tolerate) doesn't really matter to me having issues. The UI is bad because I haven't adapted to it in 40 hours. It should have taken less than half an hour. I mean sure I'm dumb but really at a certain point you have to wonder hey this is poo poo right? Why does it work it work this way? Oh that character is drafted, that means you can't tell him to do x please undraft him then tell him to do x. Information buried deeper then it should. Too many unimportant alerts, stacking up and not disappearing when information is irrelevant.

It just feels like not only am I fighting the pawns inability to do basic tasks (oh yeah I should get that mod that has sleeping be a lower priority then treating the bleeding person) but the interface itself.

The UI is not perfect but this feels more like a you issue then an issue with the game after that long playing.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Tenzarin posted:

Isn't a shame they have the party in someones 5x5 room when there's a huge dining room though?

Do you really want the orgy where everyone eats? Oh god there probably is a mod for this.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

PastaBakeWizard posted:

Holy poo poo, what? Condemning someone to almost certain death braving a harsh, lawless world has the same penalty as eating without a table, a thing fucktons of modern humans do by choice? God bless Tynan.
Semi-related question, purely for curiosity's sake: do you recruit every pawn that comes your way and play the hand you're dealt, or reject people to build an exclusive club of high-value workers? I usually do the former but increasingly I'm sending prisoners with significant health problems or incapabilities on their merry way.

I'm not super selective on skills but if you have pyromaniac or depressive or some poo poo I am harvesting your lung/kidney/heart.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Is there a "bury your wealth" mod like some way of putting statues/silver underground taking way more labor to retrieve them so my fancy artist doesn't get everyone murdered?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

Got a mech cluster that spawns Centipedes with a frequency of 1.2 days right outside my base. While I can usually take them down without casualties, they do some damage before they die. What's the best way to deal with Centipedes?

I usually bumrush them with my animals, keeps them from shooting my pawns.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Nalesh posted:

There's a mod to let pawns melee hunt, makes this way more streamlined. You could also just punch walls or rocks.

I need this for my noble so they can hunt with their fancy plasma sword.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

HelloSailorSign posted:

If you enlist the noble then the speech gets canceled and no one gives a gently caress.

Also lmao at having your social shut in be your noble.

I gave my noble the psychic harmonizer so when he gives his speeches everyone gets a double huge bonus from getting the contact high from all the drugs I have him on.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Broken Cog posted:

This pokemon mod is actually pretty fun. The pokemon themselves are hilariously overpowered, but that just means that the challenge comes mostly from pokemon vs pokemon fights instead of mechs, bugs or raiders. I had a psychic ship drop during fall the first year, and I just zerged it with Electrodes, Vulpixes and a Wartortle. Had way more trouble with a manhunting pack of Gravelers.

Which Pokemon mod are you using theres like a dozen on the workshop.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So I tried Combat Extended and kind of hate it, 50% of every raid is carrying explosives that can kill my entire colony in a single hit.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Xenix posted:

I had a raid earlier where about 70 pawns decided to melee attack my walls. What the hell is that and how can I possibly defend against that many pawns breaking in at 30 spots at once?

Mortars.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

OwlFancier posted:

I can but it's so much effort. I would rather risk their lives than the certainty of having to re-lay the furniture.

Like it's not even particularly expensive I just can't be arsed clicking to put it all back how it's supposed to be.

That's why I turned them off, really. It's not that I found them unmanageable, I figured out how to fight them, I just couldn't be arsed cleaning up the mess afterwards every time.

You know there's a checkbox in the lower right that will make them rebuild things that are destroyed?

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So now that they allow multiple spouses how do the beds work? Is there some larger multi person orgy bed? If not where is my giant spinning heart bed mod.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

So do not use revered animals as combat pets, my entire colony went into a rage/despair spiral after several of my Labradors got killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003

Misc. Robots has little roombas you can have that will go around and clean for you, kind of expensive and costs power but it makes sense.