Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Broken Cog posted:

Is there any way to force my caravans to move during night instead of during the day? That's the one annoying thing about the darkness meme, having your pawns stop and rest right before the target, so they end up entering the tile during the morning.

somewhat, but you need a mod for that: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2372543327

also here's a good write up about the current limitations and issues around caravans (which Tynan read and responded to)
https://devtrackers.gg/rimworld/p/1844c6b5-analysis-rant-rimworld-1-3-ideology-and-tynan-please-fix-the-caravans

Duct Tape Engineer fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Sep 8, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Look at you, hacker: a pathetic creature of meat and bone, panting and sweating as you run through my corridors. How can you challenge a perfect, immortal machine?

Wrr posted:

I'm ready for a new colony and just got done playing a lot of They Are Billions, want to turn Rimworld into a zombie type game. Any suggestions?

Zombieland by Brrainz: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=928376710

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

PokeJoe posted:

is there a good medieval mod

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2023513450

if you use the storyteller included, it'll set a cap on research to medieval tech

I recommend using additional items from the vanilla expanded collection along with it: https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=1884025115

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

8 Ball posted:

I'm pretty sure this wasn't a mod but I distinctly remember being able to mine out an entire vein before without having to wait for each new tile to be revealed - anyone know about this?

Mine It All can do this: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1204987547

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

PiCroft posted:

Growing hysteresis is super useful at controlling your yields, allowing you to automatically stop sowing when you exceed a certain amount and restart when you drop below a lower threshold.

I also like the mod, whatever it is, that lets you make 20 meals at once. It takes a while per job but it means my cooks aren’t constantly dashing back to the kitchen whenever someone takes that meal that drops me below my threshold. I wish there was a hysteresis for production jobs too so I could produce a certain amount then stop until it drops below a threshold so I don’t have people constantly topping up the moment an item is consumed.

Farming Hysteresis: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2431191516

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

iirc bionic spines provide 100% efficiency instead of the normal 125% that bionic arms and legs provide, so it doesn't increase manipulation unless the pawn's biological spawn was damaged or they have Bad Back

yep, Bionic Spine only restores damage to a biological spine, and cures & prevents Bad Back from age, and does not provide any other benefit besides that.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Ristolaz posted:

Anyone else find that choosing a venerated animal is a trap? The only benefit seems to be a maximum +5 mood boost but the downsides are:

-Not actually having a mood boost because your pawns get upset when they die
-Cant slaughter them so you have to hope you get a trader to sell them to, regularly, or theyll keep overbreeding and starving
-If they die, your colonists will still butcher and cook them by default, wasting ingredients and blocking your bills because your pawns won't eat meals made with them

Are there any mods yet that make them worthwhile?

I have found that Venerated Boomalopes work fine, because that's how you have to treat them anyway, and you also get excessive amounts of chemfuel while you're at it.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

It's a mod issue. It happened to me with a previous patch, but unfortunately I can't recall exactly which mod was causing the problem.

I also have invisible pawns, but my modlist is too large for me to want to try going through to figure out which one

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

8 Ball posted:

4M Mehni's Misc Modifications was the culprit for me, fixed settlements not spawning and the invisible pawn thing

I have that, so disabling it and testing.

.. and we have a winner

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Redundant posted:

Is there any way to turn my pawns into mushrooms or something? I kind of like the idea of making a terrifying horde of not human raiders. Does pawn Morpher do something like that?

PawnMorpher can do some pretty hosed up mutations, but I don't know about mushrooms; there is also an Insectoids addon

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1786466855
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2215953133

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

I justify building kill boxes because I don't see why people trying to survive on a hostile planet wouldn't build walls around their community and point a load of automated defense weapons at the entrance

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Azhais posted:

You want sterile tiles and cleanliness. I don't think the other furniture matters

Furniture doesn't matter for infection chance, but hospital beds give a boost to infection immunity gain, as do vitals monitors. For the best chance at not getting an infection in the first place, you want sterile tiles and a clean room free of dirt, blood, vomit, or other substances.

I use the mod Common Sense, which among other things, has doctors do a quick sweep of the room after tending to bleeding wounds and before doing surgeries.

edit: forgot the mod link
https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1561769193

Duct Tape Engineer fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Dec 19, 2021

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

cugel posted:

The disco! mod is great.

Hunting boomalopes and using laser weaponry with the ongoing drought was a mistake.

looks like you paved your entire compound first, though, so that seems fine

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Leal posted:

The response:

:stare:

are you playing with that mod?

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

bird food bathtub posted:

Ooh, acid rain? What does that do and how do I get it?

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1841354677

I'm not sure exactly which biome has the acid rain.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

isndl posted:

It's a fake copy of the "Wanderer Joins" event. They only show up on that event, and they're guaranteed to turn traitor on a timer regardless of what is happening around them when the timer goes off, whether they're surrounded by people with guns or asleep in bed. The event also doesn't respect storyteller population thresholds, so if someone shows up randomly on an already big colony just shoot them on sight.

I just reject any wanderer joins message unless it came from an ideology ritual on principle.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Eiba posted:

Just cover the floor in straw. Straw flooring has a small cleanliness penalty, but not enough to cause food poisoning, and pawns and animals don't deposit dirt on it, so you'll never have to clean it ordinarily.

At least, I'm pretty sure the cleanliness penalty is small enough to be kitchen safe. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Straw flooring is great. Sure it's a bit ugly, but with all the time you won't spend cleaning you could probably crank out a piece of art to counter all that, if it even really makes a difference.

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Food_Poison_Chance

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Room_stats#Cleanliness

I'm not sure how the skill based food poisoning chance and cleanliness offsets interact -- if they add or multiply somehow.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Mad Wack posted:

better to just get that mod that overhauls mental breaks so people actually break over legitimately bad things instead of ate without table

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=2674133613

This one is fun.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Arrath posted:

VE: Settlers really missed a chance to have lil Pony Express waystation outposts, didn't it.

The devs are European, so there's a good chance they have never heard of the Pony Express. You could contact them and suggest it.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

What is the deal with the nutrient paste dispenser? I started a game with no cooks and after a day of eating paste they absolutely refuse to use it. They take raw food out of the hoppers before they pull the paste lever, they eat kibble made from bug guts, it's nuts. It's fuckin infuriating. The wiki says the paste dispenser is supposed to draw from the bin closest to spoilage and it absolutely does not ever. I was hoping I could use this thing to both skip having to power a stove and skip having to power a fridge, but it's a piece of poo poo that doesn't do anything at all.

E: this run is completely botched unless I can get this thing working

Also if they eat berries they get pissed from eating raw food and the wiki says berries avoid that problem

I have no mods at all

Nutrient paste dispenser is not a power saving device. It requires 200W, and you'll want to build a freezer for the hoppers to keep your raw food from spoiling. If you have Ideology, the Archeotech meme allows the nutrient paste preferred precept.

https://rimworldwiki.com/wiki/Nutrient_paste_dispenser

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Inexplicable Humblebrag posted:

just realised that if you did track sewage provenance you could export gamer girl bathwater from your colony

You could do that with a bathtub on its own plumbing network, assign it to your gamer girl colonist's bed, then collect the sewage after it gets dumped out an outlet.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

wit posted:

The real question is, do you get uncircumcized by them?

Rimworld purposely does not even include genitals without a mod, and RJW doesn't include circumcision, so I guess technically it would, but there's no way to test.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

SniperWoreConverse posted:

What's so great about quarries doesn't a deep drill pull stone if you don't put it on a deposit? (I habitually end up restarting before getting any half decent tech)

Quarries allow multiple colonists to dig in them, and you can get just about any kind of resource from them.

https://www.reddit.com/r/RimWorld/comments/b9x3mj/quarry_from_quarry_mod_vs_deep_drill_how_does_it/
https://steamcommunity.com/workshop/filedetails/?id=2007576583

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

I recommend starting with just pure vanilla, then you can make notes for things you wish you could do or things you think are missing from the UI, and look for mods that solve those things.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Eiba posted:

I know I could probably find it with a bit of searching, but do you happen to know what mod that is off the top of your head? It sounds really useful.

Ding on Game Loaded

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

King Doom posted:

Is it a warcrime to keep a prison full of elves you use psicasts to steal their youth and vitality and give it to your aging colonists? Elves live for a thousand years, a few hundreds not a big deal, right?

No that's fine; elves don't count as people.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

isndl posted:

Pick Up and Haul (I think, could be a related mod) has a setting for topping off stockpiles 'on the way' to collecting work bill items. I had to disable it because it didn't understand Deep Storage containers and ended up costing more time than it saved, but I could see it causing weirdness if your cooks are grabbing ingredients in the field.

Other potential culprits might be a mod to prioritize bringing in perishables (shouldn't be happening if you disabled hauling labor for your cook though), or a mod that encourages using ingredients closer to expiry (stuff in the field are technically closer to expiring than frozen stuff).

Have you tried setting a maximum search radius on your cooking bills? I normally do that when I don't want my cook to waste time grabbing some berries from the other side of the map.

I had to stop using Pick Up and Haul because pawns would just stuff their inventories full and then never unload.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

The only time I use forced work on the schedule is for slaves, and I don't use slavery very often.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

HelloSailorSign posted:

Far too much recreation, you'll have maxed out recreation for the day with about 3 hours as I've experienced it.

I like that short nap schedule, I'm going to try that out.

That doesn't really matter because they will stop doing activities when recreation is full, and treat the remaining scheduled period as "anything".

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

There is a mod that I consider to be indispensable now: Everybody Gets One

https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1687566130

This allows you to set up work bills based on the number of colonists you have, such as one per colonist plus a static amount, and X number per colonist. These auto adjust whenever the number of colonists changes.

I set up my tailoring bills as 1 per colonist plus 1 (check the "count equipped" box), and meal cooking bills as 10 per colonist, pause value 5.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Reik posted:

Someone that I really want to recruit from a hostile faction just crashed in a transport pod, but they die from hypothermia before I can get them back to my base and treated, can I forcefully put a parka on them or something while they're outside and downed?

There is a mod for that: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1667901146

It does require the pawn being in medical treatment, and I'm not sure if just being downed is good enough or not.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Xenix posted:

I'm having a weird problem that I can't seem to find an answer to. I have colonists who had missing noses (and thus we're disliked due to being disfigured). I finally managed to put aesthetic noses on them, but they still have the social penalty with other colonists and it is continuously causing fights. Any idea why they're still considered disfigured?

post screenshots of their health tabs?

Duct Tape Engineer fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Oct 5, 2022

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

OwlFancier posted:

Is there a separate thing for it or has the fully bisexual future finally happened?

It's still a trait, but no longer takes up a standard trait slot.

e:fb.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Danaru posted:

But there's no table in the prison :twisted:

you monster

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Jorge Bell posted:

Accidentally turned my researcher into a vampire because "extract xenogene" was further up the list than "carry to gene extractor" and I wasn't paying attention, so now my computer boy is going to get very very interesting!

It's fine if you keep a couple prisoners around for him to suck off from time to time.

Vampires get 20 blood per suck, and one pawn can recover from the blood loss by the time the vampire needs another suck. Having two just ensures that you won't have to kill a pawn if you forget to manually tell the vampire to go have a suck.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

isndl posted:

You should drain the water along the left side of that lake and install a line of uranium slug turrets. :getin:

digging out a space for them would be simpler and probably more effective

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Torrannor posted:

If nobody has eyes, then nobody will have a negative opinion of ugly pawns.

Rimworld: Where we're going, we don't want eyes.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Sachant posted:

FWIW Oskar also seems like a complete rear end from his comments and posts elsewhere. He recently got caught tracing artwork for some of the storyteller mods and his response was "oops I got caught, I'll... uh... buy you a copy of the DLC!" and got a complete pass because of his fandom. It's part of the reason I avoid those mods wherever possible. The other part is that they're horrendously bloated and unbalanced (and don't actually look all that vanilla visually tbh).

Oskar contacted the artist directly to apologize; the artist forgave him and was also appreciative of the copy of Rimworld. But I guess spreading incomplete information without looking into what actually happened is more interesting.

That said, I tend to not play with VE mods anymore because they seem too bloated. They are pretty well balanced within themselves, but there's just too much stuff in there.

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

isndl posted:

You don't even need a shed, a shelf prevents the outdoors deterioration penalty so you can just leave shelves of hay sitting outside. With the new 1.4 shelves I'm also leaving my wood piles outside, and I'm debating if I should move other parts of my stockpile outdoors as well. Could have a trade beacon just sitting in the open with shelves of crap surrounding it.

hay still goes bad if it isn't frozen; it takes a long time, but does happen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Duct Tape Engineer
Feb 16, 2005

Galaga Galaxian posted:

One of my slaves rebelled and decided to punch one of the sacred Grand Carbuncles. Before I could get a pawn over to deal with him, the carbuncle had mauled him to death. RIP. Don't gently caress with the cute, giant, magic squirreldogcatthing.

Dumb question, if I assign my colonists to wear Tuques and Flak Helmets, will the prefer Flak helmets for the protection but switch to tuques if it gets too cold?

I think they prefer helmets even if they're experiencing hypothermia; at least my stupid kids keep their little bike helmets on instead of putting on warm wool caps.