Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Was doing pretty good on a casual run, but had a pretty nasty bug kill my game. I had about four prisoners that I was waiting to sell off, cause I was pretty happy with my colony situation. I was on casual, so the enemy groups weren't huge or anything, and I had some mortars to deal with sieges. Anyways, didn't have any friggin' slaver ships go by at all that game, so eventually one of the prisoners went crazy, murdered a few of his cell-mates, and then gets killed by the rest. Awesome... Oh wait... his corpse continues attacking... killing the rest of the prisoners, and then moving towards the door. Turns out there's a bug with psycho prisoners being immortal. They show up as dead, but the body slides around killing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
So, it looks like researching the ship AI causes the crashed mechanoid ship event, and the ship doesn't spawn any enemies til you actually attack it. I had a tremendous idea of surrounding the drat thing in a wall of turrets, which worked pretty well, but just before I finally finished building the murder dome, a bunch of tribals attacked at an inopportune moment and killed all but two of my colonists in a horrible gauntlet. Lost a few dudes cause they got burned to death before rescuers could get to them. All that being said, the eight or so turrets managed to take down the two centipedes that spawned, and a convenient slave ship passing by let me restock on people and build a space ship and book it.

Edit: I've had random buddies show up to help out during sieges without me calling for help, which is pretty nice when it happens.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Drone_Fragger posted:

Haha, dear god, a siege spawned, shortly followed by visitors. Resulting in about 50 guys walking into 40 guys and a massive firefight ensuing. I love randy Random, he's the best storyteller just for poo poo like this. Now to wait for it to end and turn my fort into auchwitz becuase of the 80 corpses lying around.

So much free armour and guns though!!

Just don't try to rescue any of the incapped villagers from the visiting group, or you'll earn that villages ire. It's better to let them starve and die, apparently.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I'd think with that many colonists you might be able to do a pretty awesome mortar bombardment to take care of huge groups like that. Sure, one mortar is fairly lovely, but I think 12 (only 10% of your dudes) is probably pretty good for constant, reliable, safe damage.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Garfu posted:

Anyone know why this setup:

is giving me the "table needs chairs" message? I've tried rotating the stools and using other types of chairs and tables...

Are you using any of the 1x1 serving tables? Cause those are tables and will make that message pop up. I had the exact same issue as you're describing, and that ended up being the problem, cause I used one of the serving tables in my kitchen to place finished meals on.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 2, 2014

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
For the base game I usually want someone who can grow and cook, someone who can mine and build, and then one random other guy, usually a doctor or a talkey man. I also try to have my starting three guys not have any restrictions on activities, because they'll all be pulling different duties until you can get more guys and start specializing.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Honestly, mods add a lot of complications to the game, so playing your first few rounds in vanilla probably isn't a bad idea. It gives you an idea of what limits you, and then you can better decide what mods to use to give you the edge you want or need. Also, I'd expect mod updates to take a while, as the "stuff" upgrade is a fairly large change from Alpha 6. Only disappointed I can't make golden turrets or geothermal generators so far. Otherwise the update is pretty awesome, especially the medical and trading changes.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Looking for some new mods, I tried out the Zombie Apocalypse mod that just got updated for the new version. It's pretty frickin' sweet, and adds another layer of tension to the game. You basically start off with a zombie faction that will attack you just like tribals or whatever, but there's an infection system, and the only way to stop an infection from turning someone is to amputate the limb, which of course doesn't help if they get bit in the torso. Also, euthanasing them just makes a zombie in your hospital, so you're kind of stuck having to make some kind of quarantine room with a bunch of turrets to draft your poor doomed colonist into.

Also, there's an event that eventually happens that makes the virus airborne. People don't get sick and die, but basically any human corpse will rise up within a day or so unless destroyed.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Tony Montana posted:

I have hundreds of potatoes in that stockpile. I've bought medikits, upgrades and even slaves with potatoes. Actually another thing is selling people to the slavery traders generates negative thoughts, even if they are filthy pirates sitting in your prison and aren't part of the colony yet. Not that I give a poo poo about the welfare of Mr. Pirate but I do give a poo poo if it gives everyone else a sad.

Good news! You can harvest and sell his organs without anybody caring at all!

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Popular Thug Drink posted:

You can mine raw plasteel chunks, but the only use I've found for it is as a trade good and making very strong walls if you're short of stone for some reason.

Plasteel is still somewhat flammable though. I use it with the surgery mod to build bionic superpeople.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Rapacity posted:

I keep getting odd behaviour where colonists that clearly ate at a table, sitting on a stool, are getting "ate off the floor" negatives. I can watch 2 of them eat (seperately) at the same spot and either may or may not get that thought. It isn't a big deal but does anyone know what's happening?

I keep getting an issue where they'll take their food to the table, sit on the stool, then promptly place their meal on the floor next to them and lean over to chow down, getting the ate off the ground penalty. I think it's an issue with too many people and not enough table space.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Sadkitten posted:

Seeing as how a few people have edited their defs in this thread, how can I increase/decrease events like pirate raids and people joining my colony? I tried to edit the number values in the Mods/Core/Defs/IncidentDefs - BaseIncidents and it didn't seem to change anything.

Changing the IncidentDefs numbers does affect the game, but the storyteller's progression stuff also effects event frequency. I boosted the trade ship frequency up really high to test it, and I basically had a ship available all the time, but, as my colony grew, the storyteller still made it so slave ships stopped popping up.

You can actually edit their stuff in storyteller defs or something like that. In particular, you can change what the storyteller's optimal number of colonists is via a few numbers, which will increase slave ships and random events that get you colonists.

From looking at it, other than Randy Random, most of the event variables for the others are based on colony size, and then your wealth or whatever affects the size of the threat when attacks come. Although I'm pretty sure the first couple of threat events are scripted, since I always get a single wild animal then a small pirate attack as my first two threats.

If you want to screw with core files, I'd recommend just making a custom, personal mod that you copy-paste anything you want to screw with into, that way you'll have the core folder untouched and still be able to change things. Just make sure to keep the same folder structure copying over. Screwing with core files by changing default entries can mess up other mods that do the same, though.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 22:28 on Oct 17, 2014

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
It's the small scale of the game and the relative infrequency of new blood. I do that when people die in lovely ways. Like, lucky headshot just murders one of your best colonists.

That part reminds me a lot of XCOM.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Moridin920 posted:

one of mine got hit dead on by a mortar shell while I was watching him run around and he just got deleted, equipment and all

pretty cool but addition of bloody gibs would be pretty metal

Yeah, I've noticed this with auto turret explosions. Explosives must have a chance to instantly destroy the body when they kill people, or the damage is just so high it does hp damage to the corpse, like burning it does.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Opal posted:

I'm sure I saw my colonists defend themselves automatically on my first run-through but maybe not. I'll try the draft thing instead. What also worked was assigning them as hunters and marking just the one squirrel or whatever.

I'm not sure if it depends on the characters stats or traits or anything, but yeah, people won't reliably defend themselves unless you draft them, which basically puts them into XCOM combat mode. Sometimes a colonist will take a pot shot at some baddies while trying to do something else, but in my experience, usually not until they've been shot or shot at.

Maybe I'm weird, but I always unforbid all the materials when the game first starts, and have a dedicated hauler just bring stuff to my stockpile. After three or four days they usually get everything. I also almost always go through all the survival meals when I get my kitchen up and running, so maybe I just start off slowly.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Meals are considered food for the purposes of animal survival. If your animals starve, they'll get replaced by migrant animals, that will also starve and be replaced. It's how you get food in the desert.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Sage Grimm posted:

That calls for emergency surgery!

To harvest those precious organs before he goes off. :v:

You could also, just, give them dentures. Don't even think they use anything other than medicine.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Communist Zombie posted:

No idea if this is causing the issue or not but maybe its due to the walls inside the drop zone? The ai chooses to drop it on a wall turning it into slag because of the collision, thats the only thing i can think off.

I've had my beacon in a much smaller space than optimal, surrounded by walls, and never seen that kind of issue.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Rhinos are in the base game, either in the arid or desert biomes. Not sure which.

The rhino drop thing is definitely a mod, though, and I'd guess the psychic pulse (which is an event in the base game) was probably also triggered by the drop.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
You, can, however use a geyser room as a furnace for the rest of your terrifying indoor mountain fortress base. Put coolers in there, that push heat out into the next room, make a chain until you vent outside. It's not terribly energy efficient, but pretty neat. So far I've only screwed around in cold tundra. How do you deal with the heat in the summer months of a desert region? Just don't go outside?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
In the grim dark of the future, there will still be gunpowder weapons, especially since they'll probably be easier to fabricate in relatively low resource environments compared to sci-fi lasers n' poo poo. The game just uses conventional names so people can tell at a glance what kind of gun it is, although it is kind of strange that they don't just use generic titles, like assault rifle, hunting rifle, or sniper rifle for the M16, Lee-Enfield, and M24.

A big part of this game is that the world you're stranded on is kind of a shithole. Crazy sci-fi guns do exist and you can get them off raiders and merchants as the game goes on, but gunpowder stuff is cheap, so early game raiders tend to use those, although they don't usually start off with M16's. I think the pod soldier might have just had one cause he was a pod guy.

bobtheconqueror fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Dec 15, 2014

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
There's a mod that gives you sleep pod popping charges you can make, that will either blow them up, kill the thing inside, or render it unconscious. It's kind of neat.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Tommofork posted:

I feel like you're right but I couldn't find it and I don't want to examine the big modpack contents to see if it's a minor change for one of those.

I used it a bit. It basically made a metal bars resource you could break raw metal and other weapons in to. You then used that to make guns. Pretty straightforward. This was with A7, though.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I've always had a short hang when raids spawn once they get larger, but just like a half second. I tried that one mod that quintuples the number of factions and definitely started getting similar hangs when world map events spawned, so yeah, it could just be the game calculating.

Worst performance hit I've seen in vanilla is placing large floor areas with big colonies. Game seems to try to calculate pawn movement after every tile is placed.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
You can forbid jobs from people. I usually have somebody like the farmer as a dedicated hauler, since that's a periodic thing. If everyone is trying to do everything they can get jammed up on the same high priority task.

Also, make those tater farmers eat taters. Fuckin' gourmand colonists over here.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
So, based on this thread's discussion, I got the androids++ mod thing. Took a while to set up. Apparently the humanoid races framework thing doesn't play super nice with prepare carefully because of a recent change to make humans functionally the same as aliens, which seems to have removed the default skin tone values when setting up loadouts with prepare carefully. Also, that same framework mod makes it so buildings don't become available until you have colonists landed, so I thought things were broken cause the first thing I do is pause and start laying down building plans before people have even landed.

That said, once I had it set up, stuff is pretty cool. Spent too much time messing around with robots to get into the SOS2 stuff, although I have it downloaded and running without issue. From what people have said in the thread, it's possible to control surrogates on different world tiles, or even from space, correct?

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Danaru posted:

Yep! Surrogates will have some debuffs (-20% conciousness is the big one I remember) from low signal if they're off the map with the antenna, but you can build a relay antenna to get rid of that. You can also have someone control a surrogate, then put their body into cryptosleep without any ill effects aside from someone needing to let them out if the surrogate gets smashed up

Oh ok! I wasn't quite sure how the relay tower worked, so I built both types thinking I needed them both in the main colony. Thanks!

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

I just started a colony with these both yesterday and it seemed to work fine. What's not working correctly?

I mentioned it before, but the newest version of the alien framework prereq does something with humans, which in turn mucks up Prepare Carefully, but not in a critical way. You just can't change the heads on people and you might have to finagle the RGB to not have super pale creepy folks. There's a humansarealienstoo xml file in the framework mod that you can remove to correct it, but that might create other problems.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Mzbundifund posted:

What am I doing wrong? I can't land a shuttle here because it says I don't have an unobstructed shuttle bay.

The advice I saw was to leave a 2 tile wide floor space around the shuttle bay. It can be finicky if there's walls or buildings right next to it. Not sure if that's expressly necessary though.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
So, I got a sizable colony set up, which is cool, but I've got a few stupid rejects that are really annoying from a management perspective. One guy's depressive, another abrasive, that sort of thing. So, I get the idea that maybe I should make a reject island where these idiots can be mad at each other all day while I just clone good colonists back at the main base. It... uh... did not go well for reject island, mostly cause I forgot to have chaperones there to do work while they broke-brained themselves into catastrophe.

Between Androids++ and Questionable Ethics Enhanced, there's a few cool ways to specialize your colony. Messing around with high end stuff via debug, and so far the most OP thing is cloning folks with awesome traits and brain scanning good stats onto them, then using the clones to drive surrogates. The high end chips let one pawn drive six surrogates at a time! You can color code them with paint jobs! I might look at the "bio power" mod to see if I can shove the meat into those while they're piloting. You can put folks in cryptosleep, but you have to get them out if one of their bots gets merced and you want to replace them.

You could also upload them into the skymind then copy/paste them into blank androids. I feel like there should be more existential crisis in that, though.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
But! More bullets means more hits.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
There's a couple of storage mods too that might help manage the stuff. Deep Storage with the Simply Storage add on are a little bit OP, but great for things like having truckloads of guns or corpses to deal with. In vanilla, if you don't strip corpses you can just cremate them with their clothes on and it takes care of both, although that isn't the case for android disassembly at the machining bench if you've got that mod.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
So, had a nice setup going with a few folks linked into surrogates doing most of the labor and base defense. Was pretty sweet. APPARENTLY you can still get hacked even if you have security set up, so some of my super advanced murder droids turned on me. One of them was in the little sleepy chamber I made for a pilot, and literally destroyed her neck before I could disconnect her. This does two things. One, proves I was right to isolate my pilots into individual rooms. Two, makes me not want to rely on surrogates nearly as much. I'm thinking I might, like, keep a few well armed surrogates stashed as an oh poo poo button, but maybe won't just keep them plugged in all the time, although at that point why not just make more clones?

I had Dinosauria installed, and added a couple other animal mods, all the Vanilla Expanded ones along with Megafauna and Alpha Animals. Alpha in particular adds a ton of new events and unique critters which is pretty cool. That said, dinosaur spawn chance is intentionally low, so by adding a bunch more animals to the mix, they became super rare. Thought there might be a compatibility issue until I intentionally started hunting packs of things to make more critters show up.

I also installed the Minimap, Mint Menus, Hospitality, SRTS, and Spartan Foundry mods. It's getting to be Skyrim levels of obscene. I remember a few years back I messed around with A Dog Said and started making cyber-dinos, but I don't know if I wanna go down that path again, mostly because farm animals are a bitch to maintain, especially when they can bite your head off. The Terraforming mod is neat and super hella busted, but I really really really hate using the moisture things to clear space for my awesome houses.

Weird stuff I've noted. With droids, you normally can't install a VX chip into a surrogate droid. It doesn't make much sense to have a surrogate capable of driving other surrogates or copying it's brain into other droids, but the Mint Menus operations list will let you bypass that.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

isndl posted:

I could see it happening depending on the size/configuration/compartmentalization of the ship. A long pencil-shape bzzts in the middle, the walls start burning down because that's what steel walls do in Rimworld, atmosphere gets vented and fires go out from lack of oxygen, and then eventually the ship breaks in half from structural integrity failure.

Well considering how absurdly you can build your own ship, they just have the caskets on the outside so they jettison when the ship invariably explodes.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Hmm... Having a biome issue with all these animal mods. Started an arid colony and only have critters from the vanilla expanded bit rolling in. Anybody seen similar? Gonna try switching them in the load order, or just dig through the code, I guess.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
I've definitely had an incoming raid drop a pod on an antigrain warhead. Honestly felt bad for that federation guy. It wasn't as bad as that vid, but the explosion was terrifying in the middle of my base, and blew up my (fortunately unmanned) artillery.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
Here's a complaint. I wish modders would put isbad as false in more of the random hediffs they create. It sucks wasting a healer mech serum removing something like the well rested buff from the spacer furniture mod instead of curing asthma.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005
The frame hitching I see after my colony gets big enough is my biggest annoyance, so I'm glad the patch at least addresses that.

My poor mod list though.

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

KirbyKhan posted:

Just finished with my vanilla run. The amount of space vanilla requires is BANANAS after living the Deep Storage / OgreStack life. Holyshit pawn, 5X5 is your base line for your bedroom?! Ahhhhhh, I mined this wall of components and it just gave me TWO?!?

It was enlightening, like going camping with rental gear. I now fully appreciate the changes I made when I complied my mod megapack.

OgreStack got updated, but I haven't seen Deep Storage yet. Haven't played in a bit, so I'm waiting out the delay until at least QEE and EvolvedOrgansRedux get updated, along with stuff like allow tool. Seems like a lot of QoL stuff is getting handled pretty quickly, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bobtheconqueror
May 10, 2005

Meridian posted:

So is it suggested for micromanagement purposes that you queue up a small amount of orders? For instance, I had a building sketched out, trees zoned for chopping and another thing or two. There was a tree blocking my wind generator, but instead of going after that immediately my pawns were doing pretty much everything else.

Is that to encourage players to keep a close eye on what their pawns are doing, or am I doing something wrong?

Usually pawns will take down stuff like that without much issue, but if they have higher priority jobs, it might not happen quickly. The work tab is handy for specializing folks, especially as your colony gets bigger.

Because of how work priorities are set up, you absolutely can give your guys too much to do if you don't have specialists.