Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.
It's really fun when one of my friends/coworker is a huge Kevin Smith apologist.

I've grown out of liking him, and his podcasts. I had originally cut it down to only Hollywood Babble-On, but even now, it's two hosts acting like man children all the time. I should have known I was starting to dislike Kevin Smith when I loved the podcasts where he was out of town and replaced by a guest host. There is only so many times I can stand him making Star Wars and Batman references.

Nobody brought this up, but I find this hilarious. Apparently, Hollywood accounting struck Clerks 2. This is not surprising, but Kevin Smith did not notice it until 2012. Just did not notice something like his major players, including himself, not getting paid for a half dozen years.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

KidVanguard posted:

I was listening to Smith's podcast with Jon Lovitz and Lovitz has a huge appreciation for old films and most of his humor is derived from it and any time he brings up any famous director, actor, or movie from that time period Smith has no idea who he's talking about and Jon is always aghast because any lover of film would have watched these or at least know of their existence. Smith just has no real love or knowledge of film. I feel it comes from fear but it's also the kind of fear a high schooler feels when he realizes how big the world is and not an adult with a child who has a decade long career in an industry he is actively apathetic about.

But he loves Batman and Star Wars. Isn't that enough?

Of course it's not. It's really no wonder he dropped out of film school, he's not a student of film. I would feel bad for any film student who gets have him as a guest lecturer. He does not need to be a Tarantino level of film lover, but something more than he is. I would love to see him attempt to answer simple film questions, like "What is the best directed movie in your opinion?" "What movie has in your mind the best production design?"

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

mr. stefan posted:

Clerks earned its reputation because it perfectly captures the experience of being a twenty-something burnout working a job you don't like and doing all sorts of inane stuff in an ultimately fruitless attempt to make the experience bearable. It's not very technically adept, but that's not really important to what the movie is doing.

Clerks 2 fails because it's trying to capture the same sort of feel but the age and time actively work against it, and the kind of experience that was relatable to most college aged people because it was being related by college aged people instead starts feeling depressing and creepy because it's coming from people in their late thirties who never got out of the college mindset or made anything of themselves and are desperately trying to not realize that fact.

Not only that, but the characters never evolved from the first movie. Why is this movie set 10 years after Clerks, why not 2, or 5? The characters just teleported from Clerks to Clerks 2. This makes sense since SMith seems to have not really mattured himself since his 20's.

I also question why there needs to be a romantic plot in Clerks 2, other than there is one in Clerks.

The news of the Weinsteins passing on Clerks 3 is not surprising. Smith's reputation is catching up with him. If he really wanted to do it, we could see a couple of Cop Out Films, have him then make Clerks 3 with his own money, and go from there. I doubt that will happen, and I hope it does not. I still like Clerks as a 90's movie, I do not think I could bear watching SMith write a movie about 90's slackers in their 40's dicking around in a convenient store.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Yaws posted:

Smith visited the Star Wars set a couple weeks ago and left crying hahaha

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Kevin-Smith-Left-Star-Wars-Episode-7-Set-Crying-Today-43677.html

He cries about everything, this is not surprising.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

I still do not know why the style for Clerks TAS was not used.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Bown posted:

Isn't that just confusing, then? Why have both them offering them the money (and them not refusing it) and also them getting a loan?

The only thing I can think of is that they used Jay and Bob's money as either collateral or (and I do not know much about business, FWIW)as a sort of down payment for a business mortgage.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

I saw a cardboard promo thing for Tusk when I went and saw the Rifftrax of Godzilla at my local theater. It looked like it had an opening for INSERT YOUR FACE HERE on one of the walruses. Is this movie going to be Wilfred with Walruses? Because I like Wilfred, and I don't think Kevin Smith can write anything on that level.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

That premise for Yoga Hosers does not make me want to see it, neither does the trailer for Tusk. That Kevin Smith is helming the movies makes me feel the execution of the movies will not be good. It's possible that I may be wrong, and these movies will be masterpieces, but I really doubt it.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Hbomberguy posted:

e: What is the purpose of a shot referencing Seven in a film about a literal comic book lesbian dating a guy? Is it trying to point out how banal Amy's characters are by comparison? Is it aping the comic-book aesthetic of Fincher's late nineties works to make the film 'look like a comic book'? Or is it just 'a good shot' to tide viewers over while more Witty Dialogue plays out and the narrative progresses?

Smith liked the shot and wanted to use the shot, don't overthink it.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Drunkboxer posted:

My only beef is that Michael K. Williams didn't star in it.

I don't know if I could see him with just a pistol. Maybe if he had like a sawed off shotgun or something, but you would lose the gunslinger attribute of Spaghetti Westerns Tarantino was going for.

TrixRabbi posted:

I can't imagine Smith even attempting something like that. His idea of a reference is to have the characters shoot the poo poo about Star Wars and Jaws. Frankly, I don't have any idea how Tarantino and Smith are comparable at all aside from both being indie filmmakers in the early 90s who got big. Reservoir Dogs, while imperfect, is a much more sophisticated film than Clerks. They're both talking heads flicks, but Reservoir Dogs is a smart crime drama full of betrayals and cruelty. Clerks, while I enjoy it, is slackers making a bunch of jokes about semen.

Smith's biggest issue in that regards is his very limited reference and knowledge pool.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Star Man posted:

That's what happens when you skip class all the time or drop out halfway through school; you miss out on that kind of poo poo.

But the schools wanted to teach him things like narrative themes, he just wants to use the camera to make Star Wars and Batman references.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

DrVenkman posted:

By all accounts it burned him more with smaller distributors. And that was the problem with the stunt. People like Alamo Drafthouse were there (They released Four Lions and Miami Connection) and they don't have a big staff they can send all over Sundance, so when Smith sends his open invitation they go along because why not, then Smith proceeds to tell them how bad distributors are and buys his own rights for a dollar or whatever he did. He was railing against studios when, by and large, the studios weren't even in the room.

I was thinking, Alamo Drafthouse would have probably been up for Kevin Smith's ideas for Red State (taking the film on the road before a wide release). Did he think the major studios would be in a bidding war for the guy who made Cop Out?

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

MattD1zzl3 posted:

(i dont want to know what lens they used here)

Neither does Kevin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

I don't want to see him remaking that movie.

• Locked thread