Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I'd go see it just for the novelty of saying I did so, but the one theater within walking distance of my apartment won't be screening it anytime soon it seems. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So today I learned there's a Kevin Smith biopic coming out in just a few months (In the UK at least): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shooting_Clerks.

Are you guys ready for the story of the making of Clerks?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

My issue with Tusk is that it is a body horror film but with your typical Kevin Smith characters. Like you could imagine the Wallace character popping up in Clerks or something before he was walrusificated. Smith tries to move away from this somewhat by expanding his reference pool slightly, but it doesn't come off as very genuine. Did anyone really believe for a second Wallace actually read anything by Hemingway? Or that Smith hadn't simply Googled The Rime of the Ancient Mariner while writing the script?

As a result of all of this the movie seems really weird and tonally inconsistent, though I give Smith credit for trying something new and weird (For him at least) even if the final product wasn't completely successful.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

How do you interpret the decision to include the podcast clips in the film's credits then, where Kevin Smith laughs his rear end off while coming up with the plot points beat for beat of the movie that we had just finished watching?

The movie seems to be a black comedy to me, with occasional horror elements.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

And now apparently a sequel to Mallrats is in the works...

http://www.imdb.com/news/ni58397643/?ref_=nv_nw_tn_2

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Four Score posted:

I don't know a lot about this Kevin Smith guy aside from Clerks but it seems like every young adult self-described cinephile I've met has been erect and/or moist at the mention of Kevin Smith.

Really? Most cinephiles I've known either don't like the guy or find him just disappointing and never really living up to the "promise" he showed back in the early '90's.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

zandert33 posted:

This would be good and all, aside from the fact that the name "Guy Lapointe" started as a joke in a Smodcast episode where they were joking about people stealing maple syrup. The name means nothing, it's an inside joke.

Even if it started as an inside joke, that doesn't mean it still doesn't function/can't be read as the way that K. Waste argues.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 18:08 on Mar 26, 2015

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

DrVenkman posted:

It's no wonder that Bruce Willis chewed him out.

So what exactly did Bruce Willis say? I've heard Kevin Smith say quite a few negative words about Willis, but not the other way around.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't know why you're comparing Kevin Smith to Dawn of the Dead of all things, but that is a patently ridiculous argument.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Even if you find it trite, or whatever, the filmmaking in Dawn and what Romero does with its small budget is astonishing.

I watched it for the first time a few months ago, and figured it had at least a budget of a few million dollars.

That it only had a budget of $650, 000 is absolutely insane. Like holy crap, I almost don't believe it.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

He should do a superhero movie about a guy that gains all of the powers of a walrus.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I don't think it would be that surprising if Kevin's child was better, if she chose to become a director. I don't think that kind of thing is completely without precedent either. If you ignore his '70's output (And that's a massive thing to ignore), I think one could make the argument that Sofia Coppola has a better track record as a director than Francis Ford.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

K. Waste posted:

Yeah, knowing her father, she's probably got thin skin.

Just kidding, she's fat and should go kill herself.

Even jokingly, let's not be telling people to commit suicide.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

SirPhoebos posted:

Sounds like a Weeaboo for Canada (a Canuckaboo? Moosaboo?)

A Maple Boo.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

So is he just rebooting Clerks now, but in Canada?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Well I'm certainly not a sassy sexy sophomore rocking the smocks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

I present this without comment.

Well spoilers for upcoming Kevin Smith films I guess.

• Locked thread