Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Madness
Jan 23, 2007

SifuToast posted:

We've gotten about 30 pizza steel orders from Goons using the coupon thanks to all of you that were early adopters. But tomorrow our original deal expires and moving forward we will be offering a discount of $12.50 instead of the $25 coupon. The coupon code is going to say the same though: SAGOONS.

I am going to order today, I am trying to figure it out.. without going through the whole thread what's the consensus on gauge grade surface people like best and is it any extra to get the little emote guy added or do I just upload this https://www.robinsonlaser.com/goons/chefsmiley3.dxf into the order form? And it looks like the total price shipped is 50? or am I incorrect about that. I am at work and don't have much time I will read through the thread tonight if no one has an answer for me :)

Madness fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Madness posted:

I am going to order today, I am trying to figure it out.. without going through the whole thread what's the consensus on gauge grade surface people like best and is it any extra to get the little emote guy added or do I just upload this https://www.robinsonlaser.com/goons/chefsmiley3.dxf into the order form? And it looks like the total price shipped is 50? or am I incorrect about that. I am at work and don't have much time I will read through the thread tonight if no one has an answer for me :)

3/8" (because why not), structural grade, black surface. I didn't bother with the logo and that sounds about right on price.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

qutius posted:

3/8" (because why not), structural grade, black surface. I didn't bother with the logo and that sounds about right on price.

My concern is my wife is 5 foot nothing and tiny and 1 month pregos :P so I think the extra weight might be a bit much, with the 1/4 coming in at only 15 pounds I think I will go this route. But thank you!

Madness fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Feb 17, 2014

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

Madness posted:

Someone else answered the gauge and grade stuff so I'll answer about the emote. We do charge extra for etching time, but it shouldn't be significantly more. Simply upload the different version of the drawing with the smiley on it and you will see the difference in price.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

jeomk posted:

Someone else answered the gauge and grade stuff so I'll answer about the emote. We do charge extra for etching time, but it shouldn't be significantly more. Simply upload the different version of the drawing with the smiley on it and you will see the difference in price.

Thanks plan on ordering in a bit when I get home from work after I put the kids down. So really if I only plan on making a pizza for the family I should be good with the 1/4 right? And If I wanted to make more one after another than the extra 10 pounds of steel would let me do that.. Also do you pull this out of the oven when done or do you just remove the pizza off it then let it cool?

Madness fucked around with this message at 23:59 on Feb 17, 2014

Deathwing
Aug 16, 2008

Madness posted:

Thanks plan on ordering in a bit when I get home from work after I put the kids down. So really if I only plan on making a pizza for the family I should be good with the 1/4 right? And If I wanted to make more one after another than the extra 10 pounds of steel would let me do that.. Also do you pull this out of the oven when done or do you just remove the pizza off it then let it cool?

Baking stones and steels are generally left in the oven 24/7, unless you somehow got it dirty with something that couldn't just be turned into charcoal with a cleaning cycle. My Fibrament stone has been truckin' along for close to 6 years in the oven now with nary a problem, i'm sure a steel would be the same :)

Rurutia
Jun 11, 2009
Has anyone used this as a pseudo grill?

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.
Hell, I'm curious about chilling it to use as a heat sink to temper chocolate.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

It shows that you charged me 38.32 shipped (a killer deal BTW) but it took me back to order screen I tried to pay again and it did not work so I assume we are good I just want to make sure it went through on your end because I did not get an email but I show a pending charge :)

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

Wait i ordered Commercial Black on accident instead of structural, will this significantly affect my pizza making experience?

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Deathwing posted:

Baking stones and steels are generally left in the oven 24/7, unless you somehow got it dirty with something that couldn't just be turned into charcoal with a cleaning cycle. My Fibrament stone has been truckin' along for close to 6 years in the oven now with nary a problem, i'm sure a steel would be the same :)

Doesn't leaving it in the oven when you're going to bake something (and thus not need the baking steel) significantly increase the preheating time?

Tweek
Feb 1, 2005

I have more disposable income than you.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Doesn't leaving it in the oven when you're going to bake something (and thus not need the baking steel) significantly increase the preheating time?

Not sure. If it was not in the oven, an equal volume of air would have to be brought up to temp and air is not as thermally conductive as steel..

HolyDukeNukem
Sep 10, 2008

Just got my steel this evening. Probably won't be making pizza with it until this weekend, but here are some pictures of it!

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

If you fake the funk, your nose will grow
Just pulled the trigger on three.

You goons are metal as gently caress, thanks.

RogueWarrior27
Jul 3, 2006

Madness posted:

It shows that you charged me 38.32 shipped (a killer deal BTW) but it took me back to order screen I tried to pay again and it did not work so I assume we are good I just want to make sure it went through on your end because I did not get an email but I show a pending charge :)

Your order did go through and you should have received an email confirmation recently. We had a hiccup earlier affecting a couple orders, but that has been resolved and all orders are processed.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

RogueWarrior27 posted:

Your order did go through and you should have received an email confirmation recently. We had a hiccup earlier affecting a couple orders, but that has been resolved and all orders are processed.

Perfect I got it and thanks for the update! My wife and I have decided with this purchase to change family Saturday morning breakfast (we keep missing cause the baby keeps us up so we sleep in late) to Saturday family pizza night!

Madness fucked around with this message at 05:13 on Feb 18, 2014

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
I tried to order one of these tonight before the discount expires - but have been shamefully banging my head against a wall. I'd like a blank one with rounded edges, like the Gravity-2 template that was posted earlier in the thread - but a bit bigger - 15.75 x 17.75. (or 16x18, whatever - my oven maxes out around those dimensions).

I downloaded a couple free CAD editing programs, and also tried to load the .dxf into illustrator, but about an hour and a half of trying and I can't figure out how to properly resize a rectangle. :( never have I felt so dumb.

anyone with better CAD skills than me feel like helping a goon out?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

mindphlux posted:

I tried to order one of these tonight before the discount expires - but have been shamefully banging my head against a wall. I'd like a blank one with rounded edges, like the Gravity-2 template that was posted earlier in the thread - but a bit bigger - 15.75 x 17.75. (or 16x18, whatever - my oven maxes out around those dimensions).

I downloaded a couple free CAD editing programs, and also tried to load the .dxf into illustrator, but about an hour and a half of trying and I can't figure out how to properly resize a rectangle. :( never have I felt so dumb.

anyone with better CAD skills than me feel like helping a goon out?

I can do it when I get into work in a couple hours if no one else does.

Edit: Here you go https://www.dropbox.com/s/2tsf5brkre3t3as/rec.dxf

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Feb 18, 2014

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Hey guys can one of you post a quick how-to on your pizza making process, I am new to this whole pizza thing and want to try to get some of these fancy results you guys are getting with the leopard printing and what not.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Madness posted:

Hey guys can one of you post a quick how-to on your pizza making process, I am new to this whole pizza thing and want to try to get some of these fancy results you guys are getting with the leopard printing and what not.

There's a pizza thread in GWS, can't link it now, I'm on mobile. The OP had a recipe I used for my first time and it came out really drat good.

As for using the steel specifically, throw it in the oven on the top rack and crank it up as high as it will go for at least an hour. I then turned the broiler on like ten minutes before the pizza went in. After that, pizza cooked for like 5 minutes and that was that.

This is on my lovely electric stove. Gas ones might be different.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

A Proper Uppercut posted:

There's a pizza thread in GWS, can't link it now, I'm on mobile. The OP had a recipe I used for my first time and it came out really drat good.

As for using the steel specifically, throw it in the oven on the top rack and crank it up as high as it will go for at least an hour. I then turned the broiler on like ten minutes before the pizza went in. After that, pizza cooked for like 5 minutes and that was that.

This is on my lovely electric stove. Gas ones might be different.

Cool, perfect.. Also I will find the thread this is all I needed just the basics I will figure out the rest. thanks man!

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!
How are other people's steels coming out? Mine has some small scratches that may just be the nature of the beast. It doesn't look quite as deep as the other one posted in this thread. Do these look like they are going affect the use/care of the steel?

Can't wait to try it out!

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
Do you guys season both sides or just one?

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

SmuglyDismissed posted:

How are other people's steels coming out? Mine has some small scratches that may just be the nature of the beast. It doesn't look quite as deep as the other one posted in this thread. Do these look like they are going affect the use/care of the steel?

Can't wait to try it out!

Mine has a pretty good one on the back I think it should be ok

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It's a hunk of steel, not tea china. Don't worry about scratches.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Do you guys season both sides or just one?

Do both so you can flip it over any time one side starts getting dirty

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

It's a hunk of steel, not tea china. Don't worry about scratches.

Do both so you can flip it over any time one side starts getting dirty

Yep my thoughts also, I am pretty happy with mine! Can't wait to use it, but about to start a seasoning soon.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Holy poo poo this thing is god drat heavy. Also that's a hell of a lot of cardboard you guys use in the boxes.

Souffle
Aug 9, 2005
Thanks again for sending the replacement. I just got it a few days ago and didn't get around to seasoning it until tonight. Can't wait to use it!

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Finished seasoning! Ready to make a pizza this weekend!

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

This pizza is named Javid, in honor of the dwg file he made for me.

strangehamster fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Feb 22, 2014

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

So goons looking for some tips, I rocked the pizza steel today and made an excellent pizza with good charing! But has some problem getting off pizza peel onto the steel, anyone have any tips to make the dough not stuck to the peel when putting it in?

Mario
Oct 29, 2006
It's-a-me!
Dust the peel with a bit of semolina flour -- some folks use cornmeal but I prefer semolina. If the dough is too moist it will stick easier, and also don't let it sit on the peel for longer than it takes to get everything assembled.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

And flour your dough before you stretch it out

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Thanks guys will try that!

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Wanted to update and say they offered to replace or refund me for my pizza steel, I declined and thanked them for such a great deal! The scratch does not effect performance at all =)

SmuglyDismissed
Nov 27, 2007
IGNORE ME!!!

Madness posted:

Wanted to update and say they offered to replace or refund me for my pizza steel, I declined and thanked them for such a great deal! The scratch does not effect performance at all =)

Same here, my steel is working great!

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?
Just wanted to say that we've gotten a lot better with our pizza and the steel is working out great. Cranked up the oven to its max temp of 550F, then broil for about 10-15 minutes after it preheats with the steel on the second-highest rack setting. This dough sat in the fridge for a few days extra so it was pretty glutinous and didn't want to stretch too much, but it tastes great.

Crumb. The bottom of the crust is much fluffier than it looks there, I think the knife crushes it down some

Definitely getting some better blackening

buy this steel it's awesome and making pizza is awesome

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Here's my steel after seasoning it six times over the weekend (500 ºF for 1 hour each time) with flaxseed oil.

To be completely honest I can't tell the difference between this one and and the pictures from after the second seasoning. Won't get around to actually using it for a couple weeks so now it sits in my cabinet neglected but it's ready to use!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Boris Galerkin posted:

Here's my steel after seasoning it six times over the weekend (500 ºF for 1 hour each time)

jesus christ :negative:

I mean awesome and all, but probably just a touccchhh overkill.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

mindphlux posted:

jesus christ :negative:

I mean awesome and all, but probably just a touccchhh overkill.

It probably was but I was home all weekend watching House of Cards anyway so it's whatever.

• Locked thread