Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Five Spice
Nov 20, 2007

By your powers combined...
Received our steel in record time (shipped last Friday, got here the following Tuesday). It came incredibly well-packaged. It actually took me a few minutes to break into the box itself. The steel itself is beautiful and heavy, drat.

Cleaned it off, hit it with some fine sandpaper, and seasoned it up.

My husband and I decided to try it out last night with a ball of Trader Joe's pizza dough. We made a "control" pizza dough the other night using our Lodge cast iron pizza pan, which does a serviceable job. Tried the same dough, same technique last night with the Robinson steel and the difference was immediately noticeable: deep, dark, brown spotted crust all over. Not burned, though. I'm not a pizza aficionado by any means, but it seemed like the pizza cooked on the steel was bubblier in the crust, despite my stretching it out thinner than normal. Totally awesome. :) I'd like to take some real photos and do a proper review sometime soon. It was dark and our oven light's out right now, so when the lighting situation is better, totally going to do it.

Thanks for letting us get in on this! Awesome stuff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SifuToast
Oct 10, 2003

Bring on the Whores!!

Five Spice posted:

Received our steel in record time (shipped last Friday, got here the following Tuesday). It came incredibly well-packaged. It actually took me a few minutes to break into the box itself. The steel itself is beautiful and heavy, drat.

Cleaned it off, hit it with some fine sandpaper, and seasoned it up.

My husband and I decided to try it out last night with a ball of Trader Joe's pizza dough. We made a "control" pizza dough the other night using our Lodge cast iron pizza pan, which does a serviceable job. Tried the same dough, same technique last night with the Robinson steel and the difference was immediately noticeable: deep, dark, brown spotted crust all over. Not burned, though. I'm not a pizza aficionado by any means, but it seemed like the pizza cooked on the steel was bubblier in the crust, despite my stretching it out thinner than normal. Totally awesome. :) I'd like to take some real photos and do a proper review sometime soon. It was dark and our oven light's out right now, so when the lighting situation is better, totally going to do it.

Thanks for letting us get in on this! Awesome stuff.

Hey, thanks for the kind words.

Madness
Jan 23, 2007

Rocked some pizza, thanks for all the tips goons!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
So quick question what is will the difference in my cooking experience be with commercial over structural? I saw this asked a couple of pages back but no one answered it.

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

demonR6 posted:

So quick question what is will the difference in my cooking experience be with commercial over structural? I saw this asked a couple of pages back but no one answered it.

I can't speak to the cooking qualities. But, Structural steel is a harder steel than commercial grade. Which means it is more difficult to bend and often used bridges, buildings, and for general projects where some strength is required. If you aren't planning on baking the world's largest pie you could probably get by with commercial grade.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

jeomk posted:

I can't speak to the cooking qualities. But, Structural steel is a harder steel than commercial grade. Which means it is more difficult to bend and often used bridges, buildings, and for general projects where some strength is required. If you aren't planning on baking the world's largest pie you could probably get by with commercial grade.

I wouldn't risk it. I'd go with the structural steel. Good god, man, people's bellies are at stake here!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

There are too many stupid people in the world. I'm not saying we should kill them all or anything. Just take the warning labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself.

Lipstick Apathy
I mean, we are baking the pizza to end all pizzas so naturally you would want the best surface.

EDIT: Placed my order just now.. going to have a ceremony to break the infernal pizza stone which I never really liked. Here's to many years of tasty pizza with my new plate steel oven monster!

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 02:21 on Mar 5, 2014

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Does anyone know where I could get one of these in the UK? I've looked around amazon and they don't sell anything of the sort, while the item price is great from Robinsonlaser, shipping+handling is about $280 which a bit a rich for me.
I've seen sites that I can upload those files to, but what kind of steel do I want? Mild or stainless? There seems to be like 10 different grades/finishes of each I can get too and I'm really confused.

I found some stainless that is definitely food safe (BS316) but is stainless ok for this thing or does it need to be mild?

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 13:54 on Mar 5, 2014

Urk!
Sep 5, 2008

goobers
bakingsteel.com will ship a basic model economy shipping to London (W11 2BQ) for about $147. That's a little cheaper.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Yeah thats still mental on a part that costs $21. I know steel is heavy and plane/boat fuel is not cheap so I think I'll be better off sourcing it locally, I just need the info on the metal so I don't get something that will go rusty/kill me

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Ahdinko posted:

Yeah thats still mental on a part that costs $21. I know steel is heavy and plane/boat fuel is not cheap so I think I'll be better off sourcing it locally, I just need the info on the metal so I don't get something that will go rusty/kill me

It looks like the equivalent UK standard of A36 structural is S275, which is the kind of steel most people in this thread are using. Don't know if that's an option on some of the sites you're looking at. If you find a site you want to use, I would just shoot them an email asking if they have S275 mild steel available.

304 Stainless will work, it won't rust, but neither will a piece of mild steel that's been seasoned. Only problem with 304 is the thermal conductivity is not nearly as good as carbon steel.

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Thanks for the info, I've found a site with S275 P&O, I can just stick this in some vinegar to take off whatever industrial oil they use right?

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Ahdinko posted:

Thanks for the info, I've found a site with S275 P&O, I can just stick this in some vinegar to take off whatever industrial oil they use right?

From my understanding, yes. Though it might be worth asking if they have any non PO steel

Ahdinko
Oct 27, 2007

WHAT A LOVELY DAY
Called them and they can do it for £43 each in 1/4" S275, which is much more reasonable than paying $21 + $280 postage. They're only 5 miles down the road so I can go pick it up at lunch. Thanks for your help A Proper Uppercut :)

Ahdinko fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Mar 5, 2014

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

My wife seasoned my baking steel and I have a feeling she MAY have used too much oil. The surface seems spotty almost and I'll post a picture later. Either way, the pizzas we cooked on it were delicious and I haven't died yet so hopefully it's not harmful.

novamute
Jul 5, 2006

o o o

GreyPowerVan posted:

My wife seasoned my baking steel and I have a feeling she MAY have used too much oil. The surface seems spotty almost and I'll post a picture later. Either way, the pizzas we cooked on it were delicious and I haven't died yet so hopefully it's not harmful.

Too much oil isn't going to hurt anything but if it bothers you you can always scour it with some steel wool and reseason.

CrispKing
Jul 12, 2008
Well I started at 1/4" commercial, but it was only $18 to upgrade to 3/8" structural (which I obviously had to do).

Here's to more pizza in my life!

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I went with the standard 5/8 and pray to God my oven won't scream in terror when I introduce that 23lb monster to it.. then again if it means a brand new oven then gently caress it as well.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

demonR6 posted:

I went with the standard 5/8 and pray to God my oven won't scream in terror when I introduce that 23lb monster to it.. then again if it means a brand new oven then gently caress it as well.

Did you mean 3/8"? Because 5/8" is going to be more like 40 lbs. That's pretty fuckin heavy to put in an oven.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Did you mean 3/8"? Because 5/8" is going to be more like 40 lbs. That's pretty fuckin heavy to put in an oven.

You're right.. 3/8". It would take two of us to put that into the oven, then it would break.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!

demonR6 posted:

You're right.. 3/8". It would take two of us to put that into the oven, then it would break.

And then you'd get a Garland, I don't see a downside.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

deimos posted:

And then you'd get a Garland, I don't see a downside.

Hey honey, remember how I broke the oven? Well, I got a replacement.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Any ausgoons have experience with PizzaSteel.com.au? I want a steel bad but this is the only place that I've found in Australia that'll do them. All my local steel places are bulk-mining supply kinda deals so they aren't really interested in doing this thing cheaply. I just haven't found any reviews or people who have actually bought from them.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Aaronicon posted:

Any ausgoons have experience with PizzaSteel.com.au? I want a steel bad but this is the only place that I've found in Australia that'll do them. All my local steel places are bulk-mining supply kinda deals so they aren't really interested in doing this thing cheaply. I just haven't found any reviews or people who have actually bought from them.

I'm not sure where in AU you're located, but I found a couple different places that offer laser cutting that look like they'll take one off orders, looks like you'll have to email them the CAD file though

http://www.computercut.com.au/
http://www.lasercutsolutions.com.au/

Might be worth a shot?

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
Ah, those look good, thanks!

e: both are more expensive than getting them from pizza steel direct :v:

Aaronicon fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Mar 8, 2014

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Aaronicon posted:

Ah, those look good, thanks!

e: both are more expensive than getting them from pizza steel direct :v:

Man, Australia has the most whacked put pricing on stuff. If your question on that pizzasteel site is quality, it looks pretty legit to me.

SSJ_naruto_2003
Oct 12, 2012

I planned on reseasoning/posting a picture of my steel but every time I figure I'll season it I just cook a pizza instead :v:

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

jeomk posted:

You're welcome. Thanks for your order and I can't wait to see pics of your pizza.

Late to return with my photos, but I have to say I love this drat thing. And not just for pizza. Broiling steaks, grilled cheese sandwiches, fish... It's done it all.

geetee
Feb 2, 2004

>;[

koreban posted:

Broiling steaks

Curious to see how this comes out the next time you do it.

demonR6
Sep 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Got my chunk of bridge in today, it is seasoning now with about ten minutes to go and we have all the pizza ingredients in the wings to make a pizza as soon as the clock hits zero.

EDIT: pizza cooked successfully, I did not burn down the kitchen either which is a plus. I need to learn the technique to get a halfway round looking pizza but it's all good. Also I need a metal peel because the wood peel I have sucks balls. I used semolina and it would not slide off without a fight which sucked. I ended up having to get the wife to help remove it as it stuck. Otherwise it cooked perfect in three minutes, the crust was charred in all the right places and the cheese bubbled nicely. I made a pepperoni and chorizo pizza..

demonR6 fucked around with this message at 01:38 on Mar 15, 2014

jeomk
Dec 2, 2005

koreban posted:

Late to return with my photos, but I have to say I love this drat thing. And not just for pizza. Broiling steaks, grilled cheese sandwiches, fish... It's done it all.

Good looking pizza!

swampface
Apr 30, 2005

Soiled Meat
I got to try out my steel this weekend and it worked great the second time. I used the America's Test Kitchen dough recipe from the thread. I've never used a food processor to make dough, but this was stupid easy. First try was an unmitigated disaster as I discovered my sauce was bad at the same time as I managed to get the front lip of the pizza upside down on the steel, then on to the floor of my stove. For the record, this steel will survive being tossed at full temperature in to a snow bank without issue.

The second try the next day it worked perfect. That test kitchen dough will stretch out to translucent without breaking!

mizbachevenim
Jul 13, 2002

If you fake the funk, your nose will grow
Now all the hens I work with are jealous and I have to order two more. Is the website having issues?

Specifically, I can log in but I am unable to start a new order or upload a new drawing.

mizbachevenim fucked around with this message at 05:47 on Mar 24, 2014

SifuToast
Oct 10, 2003

Bring on the Whores!!
So the owner of the company over here decided that his 30 years in the industry are enough, and he's getting out. So as of this Friday we're closed. We can't take any new orders and are spending this week closing things down. It's pretty sad. I've been here specifically for 15 years.

It's still a possibility for me to start my own shop, but it certainly won't be within the week. I want to thank you guys for the awesome feedback that you've given us. You've proven to me that the idea that people our age would be willing to buy industrial product online is valid.

If/when I get a shop of my own setup, I'll be sure to start up another SA-mart thread.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

SifuToast posted:

So the owner of the company over here decided that his 30 years in the industry are enough, and he's getting out. So as of this Friday we're closed. We can't take any new orders and are spending this week closing things down. It's pretty sad. I've been here specifically for 15 years.

It's still a possibility for me to start my own shop, but it certainly won't be within the week. I want to thank you guys for the awesome feedback that you've given us. You've proven to me that the idea that people our age would be willing to buy industrial product online is valid.

If/when I get a shop of my own setup, I'll be sure to start up another SA-mart thread.

Holy poo poo dude, I'm really sorry to hear that. I didn't buy one myself but thank you for making this available to everyone. I wish you the best of luck!!

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

SifuToast posted:

So the owner of the company over here decided that his 30 years in the industry are enough, and he's getting out. So as of this Friday we're closed. We can't take any new orders and are spending this week closing things down. It's pretty sad.

I just picture the owner dude sitting alone at 3am in a bathtub goin :smithicide: "oh god my life is a sham I'm making steel pizza baking sheets for nerds on the internet"

what have we done goons :( :( :( what have we done

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Wow, bummer. I do have to congratulate everyone involved - this has been maybe the only successful goon product design project ever.

oh rly
Feb 22, 2006
oh rly ya rly no wai

No Wave posted:

Wow, bummer. I do have to congratulate everyone involved - this has been maybe the only successful goon product design project ever.

The flash drives in SH/SC were a huge success. Over 200+ ordered.

My goondolences SifuToast. I love my baking steel and have pointed people to the site before to get their own.

SifuToast
Oct 10, 2003

Bring on the Whores!!

mindphlux posted:

I just picture the owner dude sitting alone at 3am in a bathtub goin :smithicide: "oh god my life is a sham I'm making steel pizza baking sheets for nerds on the internet"

what have we done goons :( :( :( what have we done

Haha. He just wanted to not run a business anymore. We cut a lot of stuff for all sorts of people. Making things for people on the internet was the whole point. I'm glad you guys liked your steel, I'm also really glad I had a chance to finally offer something back to the goons.

If anything you goons were proof that the idea and the model worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Laminator
Jan 18, 2004

You up for some serious plastic surgery?

No Wave posted:

BearPope cycling jerseys are pretty consistently successful, probably thanks to the catfish in a cowboy hat.

Sucks this goon deal is shutting down, thanks for running it while it lasted! Your steel will live on forever as a testament to the power of some internet forum.

• Locked thread