Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Shiny new thread! I didn't post much in the last one, maybe this'll be a better year for me.

In the interest of clarity, EasyEW credited an edit to me on page 1 that's not one of mine. I don't remember who did do that one, but I'm more about this sort of thing:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

And, yes! The gears are turning in the UK again! Here's today's Metro's Nemi!

I'll confess, I've not seen a single episode of GoT (which I assume is what this is a reference to because of the author of the book), so I have no idea why Cyan's so pissed.

A number of somewhat upsetting events occur throughout the story.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I think you might mean this one, one of mine from two or three threads ago:

I think the original had him holding some sort of creepy crawly and saying "don't worry, he's dead", something like that.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

tiistai posted:

The deal with the seal pup? It's a kuutti.

I'll say. :3:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Danish... cedar? More usually they would've used... well, oak, really. Not a lot of cedars in medieval Denmark.
:goonsay:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Trilobite posted:

I can't really answer that first question -- figuring out what the gently caress happened in Zippy is rarely easy (or worth it, honestly) -- but yeah, it seems to be a guest artist. Conrad Neruig? Something like that? I can't really read the signature in the gutter.

Conrad Nervig, which is the name of a Hollywood editor (first winner of the editing Oscar back in the 30s) who died in 1980 and was not in the habit of drawing cartoons as far as I know. This whole thing is just what Griffith has decided he wants to be doing this week. I like it. A lot of the time (though not always) it's best to just take Zippy as a parade of inscrutable Americana, I think.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Fred Basset

There is, in the car, a dog.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

scarycave posted:

Someone Red and Rover this one for me.

There is, in the car, a dog.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Tiggum posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

I thought it'd be the lady, since she's the only one who actually has feet.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Fred Basset

Posting this one unedited because I found myself getting weirdly irritated at their messing up the joke*. Jock should be taking the low road if he's going to be ahead of them!! This is really, really important because

* If they hadn't, I probably would've edited it to be wrong. I think that might be why I'm mad.

Hamiltonian Bicycle fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Feb 26, 2014

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

My Lovely Horse posted:

That's almost self-parody now.

A flashforward to a flashback, I think possibly still within one or two layers of original flashback? In any case, a stunning achievement in permutation of chronology.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Whatever you say, Nancy.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

tiistai posted:

e: ^^^ Is this what you wanted?

Not quite, yours looks too much like a character who is actually able to go fast. A more anemic version seemed funnier to me. (It's a complete coincidence that it was also less work, obviously. :v:)

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
September 10th, 1988.

Not a big fan of the whole "[other comic] did it first/better!" thing but it actually did stand out to me, too. (It has to be said that this version really does work a lot better, unless Tucker is terribly misusing that armchair.)

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

The fact that this is what a bully looks like has long been one of my favourite things about Compu-Toon's alternate universe of origin.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

What on earth is going on in that post?

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
My local university library still has a few computers with CRT monitors running Windows 2000. Getting to use IE 5 to browse the catalogue is a weird sort of anti-nostalgic treat.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Fred Basset

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Shugojin posted:

I'm not sure what's going on here. Did Clay Camel just come over to show off his disguise skills to Mandrake and Lothar? What's the point of any of this?

He was supposed to be disguised as the police chief in order to murder them, but he deliberately hosed it up (because he's not in the murdering business) and now he's just showing off to prove that he did it on purpose, basically.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

GorfZaplen posted:

Mandrake the Magician

I like how these clowns don't even rate Mandrake showing up himself.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Weighing in on the That A Baby scandal, I've got no problem with it being posted. It's amazingly stupid (save for the edits), but, so are half the other strips that are in existence today. I would put it on par with Computoon, but most of the time I actually laugh at Computoon -- strictly because of Boyce's bizarre, illucid, and incomprehensible captions.

Thatababy is actually the title of yet another comic about a baby. We don't talk about Thatababy.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Fred Basset

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

I guess mine was too subtle, haha. Good job anyway.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Grilox posted:

It took me way too long to notice your edit here. :allears:

That's neither an edit nor exactly a repeat. :ssh:

The next strip will probably be wordless.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

TofuDiva posted:

From the archives of Cheap Thrills Cuisine

February 12, 2014: Horrifying Orzo Pasta Salad

I wish it wouldn't look at us that way..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S6mDyVasz94&t=66s

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

dismas posted:

Isn't that how the Segway inventor died, though? He had some sort of off-road type Segway and fell off a cliff, I think.

Not the inventor, no. It was this guy, who apparently drove a Segway off a cliff (backwards, to get out of somebody else's way) less than a year after buying Segway, Inc.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Fred Basset

Herman

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Don't misgender your horse, that's so rude.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

LtStorm posted:

Am I the only one completely lost on whatever drama is going on in Rex Morgan MD? Teenager #1 was dating Teenager #2 but when Teenager #1 came over to the home of Teenager #2 he instead engaged in intimate behavior with Teenager #3? Teenager #2 discovered this and is now using it as leverage to manipulate Teenager #1 in a wacky sitcom episode that makes light of slavery?

Were Teenager #1 and Teenager #2 actually dating or is this even stupider and Teenager #2 caught Teenager #1 and #3 doing nothing wrong but is still somehow using this to manipulate Teenager #1? And where is Teenager #3 in all of this, the little hussy?

There are only two teenagers involved. The deal is that Kelly was so worried about the potential consequences of the Morgans finding out she got her boyfriend (Niki) in for makeouts once when she was (supposed to be) babysitting Sarah that she let herself get blackmailed over it. Eventually she told Niki about this and he immediately went behind her back and passed it on to Rex, who told June, prompting the currently ongoing conversation.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Ziggy

The Fusco Brothers

Herman

These seem kind of tasteless to me. Syndicated cartoons really are going downhill.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Oh, gosh. I'm suddenly really interested in what Ock has planned. :allears:

He'll keep the other prisoners from escaping and will therefore be released as a hero.

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Thatababy

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Close to Home

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Non Sequitur

Bleh. Most of these just don't work for me, Wiley.

I remember my grandmother used to bring up a great-aunt of hers who would always say "I guess this is going to be the last time we see each other" right up until it came true, I suppose as a way to get around saying it herself. She's still alive, but I'm not sure she remembers that story now. :smith:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

Julet Esqu posted:

The Amazing Spider-Man

Hey, there, whoever called that one. :golfclap:

It was pretty obvious but I'm going to pat myself on the back anyway. :cool:

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
I like that they're apparently sort of functional-ish, somehow.

Fred Basset

Thatababy

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!
Sometimes the top row of a Sunday comic is kind of worth keeping:

(Mary Worth's mainly just has some platitude about self-confidence attributed to the Dalai Lama.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hamiltonian Bicycle
Apr 26, 2008

!

FunkyAl posted:

Does it bug anyone else that all the women in Inspector danger are all sexy and identical while the men are, while not exactly varied in design, at least allowed to wear glasses and have different noses sometimes?

Oh, yeah, that's definitely on the list.

• Locked thread