Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

But... one's a white dude, and the other's the son of (legally not) Fu Manchu?

The more I think about it I really hope he was trolling me and I feel like a tool for letting him engage me in the argument for so long.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Rhyno posted:

The more I think about it I really hope he was trolling me and I feel like a tool for letting him engage me in the argument for so long.

Did he even present a reason why he thought that?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

I find it perfectly believable that he was sincere, it's like when people angrily fight you over schoolyard myths they haven't examined since they heard them.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Senor Candle posted:

Did he even present a reason why he thought that?

No, he wasn't even buying any comics. It reminded me of this dude who was adamant that Stan Lee owned all of Marvel and he had personally fire Tobey Maguire after Spider-man 3. There's some nutty guys out there. My coworker tells me he Shang-Fist guy comes in a bunch and is usually looking to argue about incidental bullshit so maybe he's just that kind of guy.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
Why would you continue to engage a guy like that when he's clearly illogical? As soon as I figure out I can't change someone's mind I hit the ejector seat on the conversation, "Ok, they're the same guy, sorry for trying to trick you! Let me know if you want your zenoscope comics bagged and boarded."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Shawn posted:

Why would you continue to engage a guy like that when he's clearly illogical? As soon as I figure out I can't change someone's mind I hit the ejector seat on the conversation, "Ok, they're the same guy, sorry for trying to trick you! Let me know if you want your zenoscope comics bagged and boarded."

I was working and he kept waiting to continue talking to me. I couldn't get away from him and dismissing him wasn't working and he just kept driving me nuts.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

My uncle pulls that poo poo, I've learned to just ignore him. This Christmas alone I've learned that:

Drax in the Guardians movie is blue and not dark green
The characters in Guardians were created for the movie, except Ronan, who used to be white
The Kree were originally dudes who looked like Green Goblin if he only wore speedos, not the Badoon
Soldier with Kurt Russell isn't a movie, I was thinking of Universal Soldier with Van Damme. My bad
Edge of Tomorrow was not based on a manga

Merry Christmas :sassargh:

SirDan3k
Jan 6, 2001

Trust me, you are taking this a lot more seriously then I am.

Sanschel posted:

Edge of Tomorrow was not based on a manga

Merry Christmas :sassargh:

He was right, it was based on a Light Novel. Enjoy your stockings full of coal.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

SirDan3k posted:

He was right, it was based on a Light Novel. Enjoy your stockings full of coal.

I was unaware of that, though I should clarify that his point was Edge of Tomorrow was a wholly original story not based on any existing property.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Merry Ω-Mass!!

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Alternative ending:

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Vincent those are amazing.

Rhyno posted:

I just had an incredibly intense conversation with a customer that nearly became a full blown argument about whether Iron Fist and Shang Chi are the same character. Dude was adamant they were the same dude and would not budge despite me showing him current books featuring both characters. I got mildly agitated over it because as far as I could tel he was dead serious.

I feel kind of dirty now.

Star Trek had an episode with 2 Kirks in it, too, but they're the same guy. He just changed his name from Captain to Admiral for trademark reasons.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Shield is still good. Captivating and fun. Just finished episode 11. Its a good mix of story episodes and monster of the week. I really like this. Haters gonna hate.

Sanschel
Aug 9, 2002

It took a while to find it's feet in the first season but it's a solid show. Quality scene-chewing by the likes of Bill Paxton and Kyle McLaughlin have made it quite endearing.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'm rewatching it on netflix. The start really is slow, especially as I know what comes.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

omnibobb posted:

Shield is still good. Captivating and fun. Just finished episode 11. Its a good mix of story episodes and monster of the week. I really like this. Haters gonna hate.

Taters gonna truth: it's just awful.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Why does nobody remember to put these things in the Ruin the Moment thread? :(

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Gavok posted:

Why does nobody remember to put these things in the Ruin the Moment thread? :(

I honestly thought that thread was dead.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

So a few weeks ago I asked about Uber since it was on sale on Comixology and I bought the package. During my holiday travel, I burned through all but the most recent issue in that pack, and I'm really enjoying it, though I can certainly see where the criticisms come from. So, YOU'RE OFF THE HOOK, RHYNO.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

Was Taters posted:

Taters gonna truth: it's just awful.

Nope! 17 episodes in and still amazing. I am loving this show. I usually side with goon-pinion but this is so dope. It's not GREAT tv, but it's damned good tv.

It's cheesy and can be contrived and sometimes makes me roll my eyes but it's FUN.

I've always taken my super hero movies with a huge grain of salt though and I guess it continues onto tv!

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular
I just can't endure the dialog, the interpersonal relationships, the logic...

Flash, on the other hand. Goddamn that is good tv.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer

omnibobb posted:

Nope! 17 episodes in and still amazing. I am loving this show. I usually side with goon-pinion but this is so dope. It's not GREAT tv, but it's damned good tv.

It's cheesy and can be contrived and sometimes makes me roll my eyes but it's FUN.

I've always taken my super hero movies with a huge grain of salt though and I guess it continues onto tv!

Season 2 is even better

theflyingorc
Jun 28, 2008

ANY GOOD OPINIONS THIS POSTER CLAIMS TO HAVE ARE JUST PROOF THAT BULLYING WORKS
Young Orc

omnibobb posted:

You were saying this about the early episodes which were incredibly boring garbage, though. Anyone who thinks Agents of Shield's first five episodes are quality is a person who cannot be trusted.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd

theflyingorc posted:

You were saying this about the early episodes which were incredibly boring garbage, though. Anyone who thinks Agents of Shield's first five episodes are quality is a person who cannot be trusted.

Dont care. Its fun.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Was Taters posted:

I just can't endure the dialog, the interpersonal relationships, the logic...

Flash, on the other hand. Goddamn that is good tv.
Yeah, if there's one thing the Flash tv show manages to avoid it's excessive dwelling on interpersonal relationships.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
As an Air Force vet, I appreciate Talbots uniform is legit. Good show.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Ghostlight posted:

Yeah, if there's one thing the Flash tv show manages to avoid it's excessive dwelling on interpersonal relationships.

No, it's got it; it's just better at it.

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Flash is so bad at it it has loving crossovers of interpersonal bullshit from an entire other show and those are a pleasant interlude to Barry "can't run fast enough to escape the friendzone" Allen's creeping on his best friend from the shadows.

Was Taters
Jul 30, 2004

Here comes a regular

Ghostlight posted:

Flash is so bad at it it has loving crossovers of interpersonal bullshit from an entire other show and those are a pleasant interlude to Barry "can't run fast enough to escape the friendzone" Allen's creeping on his best friend from the shadows.

Maybe he could just imagine her all the loving time instead.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Endless Mike posted:

So a few weeks ago I asked about Uber since it was on sale on Comixology and I bought the package. During my holiday travel, I burned through all but the most recent issue in that pack, and I'm really enjoying it, though I can certainly see where the criticisms come from. So, YOU'RE OFF THE HOOK, RHYNO.

I did clarify that most of my issues come from the artist being a douchebag!

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

People bitch about that stuff but relationship melodrama is comic books as hell.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

zoux posted:

People bitch about that stuff but relationship melodrama is comic books as hell.

Jack Kirby and Joe Simon invented romance comics.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Ugh why doesn't he just TELL HER WHO HE IS - Joe Comic Book Fan, circa 1942

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Flash is great because it shows is ok to be a happy superhero and have fun with what you do. Shield sometimes tries to show that, but the people act tired and they tend to shoot things dark. Arrow only really smiles when he's hanging out with Barry. :gbsmith:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Flash is ok but I hate the way they've Smallville'd all the villains to have been created by the particle accelerator accident.

If you enjoy the first 17 episodes of SHIELD, then you're going to be blown away by what comes afterwards because the writing improves a LOT.

omnibobb
Dec 3, 2005
Title text'd
Awesome! As soon as I finish this season on Netflix I guess I need to resubscribe to Hulu for a month.

bairfanx
Jan 20, 2006

I look like this IRL,
but, you know,
more Greg Land-y.

irlZaphod posted:

Flash is ok but I hate the way they've Smallville'd all the villains to have been created by the particle accelerator accident.

I honestly can't see another way they could do that and have them explain away why there weren't metahumans before the accident? And Captain Cold and Reverse Flash are off the hook on that. As is... did we get a preview of Firebug or someone like that at the end of the Cold episode? And they borrowed the Clock King from Arrow while loaning out a traditional non-powered Flash villain for Ollie to fight. We also know we'll be getting the Trickster in the spring.

I think we're going to see a shift away from the "omg, the kryptonite made them super" trend that basically defined Smallville for seasons... until the magic came in.

Big Bad Voodoo Lou
Jan 1, 2006

bairfanx posted:

I honestly can't see another way they could do that and have them explain away why there weren't metahumans before the accident? And Captain Cold and Reverse Flash are off the hook on that. As is... did we get a preview of Firebug or someone like that at the end of the Cold episode? And they borrowed the Clock King from Arrow while loaning out a traditional non-powered Flash villain for Ollie to fight. We also know we'll be getting the Trickster in the spring.

I think we're going to see a shift away from the "omg, the kryptonite made them super" trend that basically defined Smallville for seasons... until the magic came in.

Heat Wave, one of Flash's longest-standing Rogues, appeared with Captain Cold at the end there. We've also met Weather Wizard's brother in the pilot, Multiplex was a Firestorm villain, and The Mist was a Starman villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AzraelNewtype
Nov 9, 2004

「ブレストバーン!!」

bairfanx posted:

And they borrowed the Clock King from Arrow while loaning out a traditional non-powered Flash villain for Ollie to fight.

They had to loan that one to Ollie, as he was portrayed by Yet Another Spartacus Alumnus. It just wouldn't be proper otherwise.

• Locked thread