Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Dr. Hurt posted:

2014 is the year of the BPRD. Mignola and the rest of Hellboy crew are just going to keep the apocalypse rolling this year. By the way, did the old BPRD thread slip into archives?

I'm not at a jumping off point on BPRD yet, but they should really think about some kind of conclusion at some point. The apocalypse has been rolling for an anticlimactic length of time

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
When did Spider-Man have organic web shooters? Was that during JMS?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I don't think licensing has come up, but I imagine that the creators get the vast majority of the licensing control.

Vertigo does offer editing, promotional work, and they'll cancel you if the second tpb doesn't do well. I bet this means they get a bigger share of the book, too. It's probably a better place to start our for someone new to comics, but these services aren't great for established writers.

Not sure what Icon offers, but I never got the sense it was a serious thing, and they screwed up at least one Powers HC.

For most folks, Image offers literally just a printing service, and wants you to sell over 5k books. Creators have to get their own editor and promotion.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Sometimes people have two talents.
Sometimes, they have one.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
The internet it's just a passing fad, imo.

I seriously only read bss. I don't think the forums will shut down, and I don't think a separate comic forum will have a bigger draw than the SA comic forum.

And DT, I honestly appreciate hearing your opinions even tho I never agree with you ever :clint::hf::)

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

bobkatt013 posted:

This series of tubes will soon be obsolete and it will be back to print

Letter columns for life, true believer

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Qwo posted:

I was googling Stan Sakai to see how his wife was doing, there was that auction late last year to help him out, and I saw this.

Man, poor guy. :smith:

This looks nice. :unsmith:

This Sakai poo poo breaks my heart. I meant to take part in the auction but there wasn't enough info when I heard about it and then it just slipped off my radar.

I went straight from Flex Mentallo to reading about Sakai, and I got a lot of thoughts. A lot of thoughts.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Y is odd because it is fundamentally a story about a dumb (23 year old) kid growing up and learning how to deal with girls, but it is set at postapocalyptic start of a new world of all woman clones. The end really pulls the book together magnificently well, and I really like the book, but I know a lot of people, all women, who just hate the book because it focuses on the least interesting thing in the world at that point.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Oracle posted:

It treated women as two-dimensional caricatures who were often cardboard stand-ins for various takes on feminist philosophy.

355 is up there with Kate Bishop for awesome female characters.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

The Dagda posted:

Edit: ^^^^ 355 is a bog standard Strong Warrior Woman. Again, for a premise with so much potential ("Every male dies but one!") Vaughan gives us very little.

Please tell me a comparable character because it is probably an awesome book.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Alien Rope Burn posted:

But is it worth reading?

I haven't gotten past the first story arc, and that was... like... when it came out.

If you like the first volume or two you'll like the book. It has flaws, but a lot of it is really well done, and the art is fantastic.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Waterhaul posted:

No lie if Vison went around dressed like that I would actually read a book with them in it.

Robot trying to understand fashion beats the hell out of a robot trying to understand love.

I remember a Fraction/Zdarsky interview where they said the Vision was the worst Avenger because he was a robot that cries. Best creators, best logic.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

CapnAndy posted:

I gotta hear this one.

Tell me more about this Fox who is also a star

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
I think if you adjust for inflation DC is doing better. Superman 78 made $1.4 Billion world wide, adjusting for inflation.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Silent s's and x's are just especially dumb

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Does Dynamite have a particularly good editorial staff?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Waterhaul posted:

Depending on what Green Hornet stuff Dynamite has I could see DC wanting it given the fact that they are finally acknowledging Batman 66'

Yeah, I could imagine making Dynamite into the happy, continuity/Didio free DC imprint. That would be something.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

theflyingorc posted:

It's filled to the brim with great concepts and characters, but hell if I can tell what's going on half the time.

The editors of today are feeding off characters of yesterday by corrupting them, darkening them, and eventually destroying them. The heroes defeat this evil by scattering a subversive message across 7 disjointed stories.

7 Soldiers rules.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

theflyingorc posted:

I don't know why I don't instantly go to "industry metacommentary" when I am confused by Morrison.

Like half of all comics symbolism is referring to other comics.

theflyingorc posted:

What's the worst possible mistake we can make to cause maximum anger?

I suspect the target must be Alan Moore.

I think BKV got called Brian Bendis a lot, there's a crack about it in Ex Machina.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Mark Waid in particular would like a book he could easily turn into a message about DC. I'm a bit surprised he hasn't snuck a Darkseididio into anything.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

theflyingorc posted:

And it's definitely a Scooby-Doo style "What???? The only other person in the story was Batman the whole time????"

Also, Batman straight throws a dude off a roof like it ain't no thing. I did a double take when I first read it.

That's from back when the streets of Gotham were paved with pillows.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Sturm posted:

So say Tony Stark was Venom for the next 10 years. What would that do to the licensing rights? Would Tony Stark now be considered to be part of the Spider-man line?

I guess there will be no definite answer to this, as no one has their hands on the actual licensing agreement.

I don't think you can move existing rights like that, as Venom and Stark are already clearly defined. Quicksilver and Wanda were muddled before the rights were sold, and the contact on clear on them, I guess

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

zoux posted:

How much more profitable is Marvel now than it was at its lowest point? And also, if you know, at its previous highest point?

Their highest point is probably right about now. They went from losing money to making millions. Disney bought them for 4 Billion.
E: and it looks like Disney got a great price.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Sundowner posted:

I've been thinking about dropping a lot of my big-two books or moving them to digital but it just occurred to me that for example it's $4 for Batman #30 at the comic shop, or $4 for it on ComiXology. Is this pricing just down to the whole "digital is a threat to retail, so lets succumb to retail's demands" thing or is there another reason? I mean obviously people need to get paid but surely it cost more to make a physical book than it does to distribute it digitally?

I'd move so much more to digital if it were a little cheaper.

Edit: I guess operating costs for Comixology come into play here.

I think the printing costs are a pretty small share of the costs of a comic. Most of it is just paying the writer, artist, etc

E: actually, the store and diamond take like half the price. I'm sure comixology could come down a bit, I don't think being 50 cents cheaper is enough to sway many people

StumblyWumbly fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Apr 19, 2014

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
If you're trying to sell poo poo, you need to have knowledge or a personality/relationship, and it sounds like that dude got a pretty good deal for having neither.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Literally The Worst posted:

Pretty good deal, a quarter of what his poo poo's worth, same diff.

you're right folks should offer the highest possible price for what they're buying

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Gender should be made into a huge issue

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

zoux posted:

Also whenever I'm like, oh hey I'm about to read this book now, I get a lot of GRAAAHHH don't read THAT book except for this handful of issues the rest is GARBAGE.

Speaking of my next "projects" are going to be reading Spiderman straight from Brand New Day and Fantastic Four from Waid's original run :getin:

I read a ton of Spider-Man starting at BND, having read no prior regular Spider-Man, and I really liked it. Some of it is definitely top shelf comics, a lot of it is pretty good filler. Some folks really hate Slott's work on it, but I think he does ok, he just doesn't have a ton of variety so if you read a lot of him you know what you're going to get and it is kinda dull.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Sundowner posted:

This actually got me thinking, I think I agree with what you're saying but what about things like letting Grant Morrison work for however many years on a series of books that are specifically going to embiggen their whole multiverse and continuity (so far as I can tell)? Is this just G-Mo being grandfathered in to writing for them or is it really going to be groundwork for their multiple universes and continuity?

If you're asking what happened to the continuity GM made during his run, I don't think it is clear. GM and Johns, it is pretty widely inferred, are big enough that they could just keep on writing their pre Flashpoint stories, and nobody would tell them to change. GM even released an issue a month or two after the New 52 started that starred Stephanie Brown (who had been erased), and it just had a little disclaimer in it that "This book happens before Flashpoint!"

Was Dick ever Batman? Did Final Crisis happen? Did Batman get sent back in time? Probably, but it is unclear how this all fits into history.

All comic characters have a horrible and unrealistic history, DC just draws more attention to it by trying to improve their characters by changing their history instead of planning a better future.

E: ^^ The good news is when you read CW in a trade, it feels like it happens in much more of a vacuum, so maybe that's part of why folks seem to like it more now?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

zoux posted:

When Cap got, ah..., capped at the end of CW, was that a big deal for contemporary readers or was it mostly shrugged off?

Steve Rogers was dead for about 2 years. Bucky took over as Cap, and he was a very different character. There was pretty good reason to expect Bucky would be around for longer, but everyone figured Steve would be back sometime.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

zoux posted:

Spiderman was on like a weekly schedule at the time right? Can't imagine that would help a writer.
What they did was pretty clever, they had a group of around 4 writers that would work together and alternate arcs and artists. One writer gets top credit for their arc, but the group ended up being credited as the Spidey Brain Trust or something.

Slott's work was never great, it's probably the low point of the BND Spider-Man, but it's no worse than average filler comics.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Johns has less influence than Quesada because Johns woe some mediocre books and had a huge hand in Green Lantern while Quesada as EIC helped pull Marvel out of bankruptcy, become the biggest comic maker out there, and consulted on some huge movies. As CCO, I think he manages and coordinates both the comics and movies

The positions are also different because Marvel has the comics and movies both report to the publisher, while DC entertainment is a subsidiary of WB movies.

E: And Axel Alonso is the EIC, Brevoort is an editor

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

notthegoatseguy posted:

Quesada's position means he works more in Marvel media rather than comics? Or maybe he is like the go-between between the comics and the television/animated/movie/video game stuff?

He has some influence over creative folks and creative direction for all of Marvel.

Also, Quesada is the 2nd hit when I googled Chief Creative Officer.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
Revival is neat and creepy, home run may be a stretch. Chew is probably my favorite of the bunch there. Saga is around 3rd place in that company, and I really like Saga.
I'm probably going to pick it up just to check out Lazarus.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Waterhaul posted:

There was a dumb LF thread about her a few years ago and she stopped posting because of it. That's it. There's no real drama since she said she finds people going on about it (and randomly coming up to apologise to her) years later more creepy than the actual thread was.

LF was undignified towards Beaton even by LF standards

zoux posted:

What did you guys do to Gail Simone?

I think she was banned because she kept signing her posts, but it was before I BSS'd.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
My enjoyment of East of West is like 50% world, 25% visuals, 15% dialog, 10% plot. If you have no interest in an awesome techno magic wild west, I understand.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!
No Asterios Polyp, no deal. Also, Multiple Warheads is good, but King City is great. I would probably replace Saga with Y, as Y is great but also finished, and BKV can change his books a lot with their endings. A bit surprised Sandman isn't up there, but it does have a bit of superhero to it. From Hell does not deserve to be #6.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

zoux posted:

Stop trying to trick me into reading a animes.

I'm not a fan of japanimation stuff, but I do like Pluto. Accidental Monster never grabbed me, and I never tried 20th Century Boys because it's like 30 books and I didn't want to have to find all of them if I did like it.

E:^^ Nick Fury Jr originates from Brand Synergy

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

TheManWithNoName posted:

Dang I own most of this list but I've never heard of some of these.

Going to check out:
Berlin

Berlin is fabulous, and everyone should read it. Mister X is neat, but it never seemed to reach its potential for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

zoux posted:

Does that ever happen though? Are Sony/Fox going to hold on to those rights forever? Disney shelled out $4 billion for Marvel entire, surely they could shell out some more cash to get X-men/FF/Spiderman back. Or do they even care?
They couldn't get it back at a good price. Disney paid Marvel $4 Bil because they know they'll make that money back in a few years, and at Marvel, Arad wanted a huge payday and they know Marvel will do much better working with Disney.

Sony and Fox know they can make (relatively) pretty good money with what they have, they know Disney could do it a bit better, but nobody wants to be the guy who sold X-Men for $3 billion and then saw Disney make $6 billion off of it.

Plus, Marvel is not looking for more movies to put out.

• Locked thread