Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Senior Woodchuck posted:

It has. Al Simmons is no longer Spawn, and the new Spawn is and always has been a white guy.

...OK, on the one hand, the whole gimmick of Spawn means that it makes sense that no-one stays in the role forever, that anyone who acts for good earns their reward, but um, did someone think "Hey, we have possibly the most prominent black male superhero on the market, let's throw that away!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

The correct answer is the cartoon which I refuse to revisit because it is probably terrible :colbert:

But it had Keith loving David (not his real middle name) as Al/Spawn. Actually, David did a Random Roles interview on the AV Club a little while back and he seemed legitimately passionate and happy that he got to play Spawn, which I found pretty neat. A lot of actors would look at a role like that as a paycheck..

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Nic Cage, to his great detriment.

Did he ever get his copy of Action #1 back?

And my point with David was that that interview was years and years after the fact and there's no indication that he'll ever be involved with the franchise again. He has no obligation to say he enjoyed it (and actors interviewed for that feature often DO poo poo on past roles).

I believe Ben Affleck is a legit comic nerd also. It's one thing to play Daredevil, but dude wrote the foreword to a DD trade for Marvel. Plus he's friends with Kevin "I named my daughter after a cartoon insane clown woman" Smith.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Samuel L. Jackson is one. He's also a big anime fan, apparently. Wu-Tang Clan are comic fans too. And possibly Quentin Tarantino? I think I've heard that Tarantino was big into comics.

Oh, for any Brits, it's probably pretty well known that talk show host Jonathan Ross is a big comic geek (and occasional comic writer).

And Sam Jackson's nerd cred led to one of my favourite awkward moments I've seen/read in any publicity. During hype for the Avengers, some site was asking the cast, and Joss, I think, about bigger roles for women in comic book movies. So of course, Joss and Scarlett chime in... and then Sam pipes up and pitches a movie of The Pro.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
True Romance (script by Tarantino) also has Christian Slater as a huge comics dork, who woos his hooker girlfriend with stories about Nick Fury comics.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

One of these days I'll post a picture of the whole bookcase and fail the entire subforum.

And on that day, Stephen Amell will kill you.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Hell, my favourite phrasing of it was from Stan himself, talking about the creation of, I think, Spider-Man: "I've told this story so many times, it may even be true!"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

muscles like this? posted:

Reminds me of this quote from Dave Cockram about the development of Ms Marvel's black one piece costume

As crass as that sounds, there's a reason that outfit endured so long, and it's not sex. ...Not JUST sex, anyway. Mar-Vell's costume... kinda sucks. And while the kicky scarf (which I LOVE) helped for Ms Marvel's version, that ended up way MORE revealing that the swimsuit and thigh-highs.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Quasar and Dr Polaris. The former's kind of a clumsy parallel, considering the Nova Corps take the space-cop gimmick. Quasar's more like Alan Scott.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Not-at-all surprisingly, the top 5 are the most successful/popular movie characters for Marvel. And Cyclops.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

WickedHate posted:

The first season of Fantastic Four was so light and dumbed down it, no joke, reminds me constantly of the Disney Gummi Bear cartoon.

Well, it did give about as much time to Doom as it did to Reed's UPTIGHT AND PROPER landlady, who won't have all this 'science' and 'adventure' nonsense in her building!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Beanpants posted:

That Iron Man show is hilariously nuts. I remember an episode where the Mandarin sinks a Russian sub and over the course of a year or two the crew turns into zombies, and then Iron Man does... Something. It's bananas, and everyone should watch a few episodes.

They also turn Pepper Potts and the Julia Carpenter Spider-Woman into a composite character, which is... interesting. And manage the least interesting possible version of the Scarlet Witch.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Frankly even I've done this with one of my Showcase collections when I was bored.

Green Lantern is best, the word balloons tell you what colours to use!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Further on my previous post about Bronze Age comics, I believe that was actually one of Shooter's rules for Marvel books when he was EiC; every issue - whether part of a larger arc or not - had to have its own internal conflict and resolution. Something like that, anyway.

Which is kind of amazingly coherent for a dude who started being paid to write comics when he was, what, 14?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Heh, Bandai are releasing more of their super-poseable SH Figuarts toys, this time the main suits from Iron Man 3. Order now for bonus couch! :haw:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Captain Britain is awesome and you guys are all big meanies. :smith:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

SynthOrange posted:

Hahahahah, I just caught up with the latest two issues of Invincible.

Super-rape. Of course.

Are we sure Kirkman's writing two different comics at this point?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Amazing Spider-Man 2 technically exists, I believe, so I assume he meant quality. But Lego Marvel is good too. Heroes is FTP, though, so you don't have to spend any cash to find out if you like it.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Mill-arrr if you're really enunciating, but yeah, most of the time, indistinguishable from Miller.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Yeah, there's this stretch in the Tom DeFalco/Paul Ryan run (which I actually like :shobon:) where Ben is left with a facial scar by Wolverine's evil duplicate from Infinity War, so he looks out the full-face mask from the costume Sue designed him way back in FF #3 or whatever and starts wearing it to cover it up.

I think it was around the same time Reed started wearing a safari jacket and Sue's costume was a swimsuit with a "4"-shaped boob window.

I don't know what's more dumb, the boob window outfit, or the retconned excuse (it was Malice taking her over) because only EEEEVIL women expose their cleavage!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That issue of USM with him telling MJ is one of the best comics ever. Bagley and Bendis both on top form. Her pouncing on him with the "you just hit the jackpot" line is amazing.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Teenage Fansub posted:

Lana Lang is a major character in Greg Pak's current run on Action Comics, who's known Clark's secret since childhood. They're a neat pair in the book. She actually participates in the adventuring.

That was a cool dynamic in Superman:TAS as well. Lana would give as good as she got, and rib Clark about thinking he could keep it from her and for them not getting together in high school.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Did anyone else notice that the speech Matthew McConaughey gives at the end of true detective is almost totally lifted from the transporter accident issue of Top Ten?

Nic Pizzolatto has been pretty open about Moore being one of his influences.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Nothing's gonna top that alt cover for Sex Criminals, though, so why try?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Vincent posted:

Because you could get that cover signed by "Stan Lee" for just five bucks.

Touché, goon sir.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

I'm positive Manara trolls the gently caress out of Marvel because the guy is a great artist and he clearly puts the bare minimum effort in them. None of his erotic art is as awfully composed as those things. I imagine an Austin Powers style scene where Manara is telling a model to pose in the goofiest fashion.

Um... wasn't the Spider-Woman one barely different than a panel from Click? I saw some blog post a side-by-side and the only difference was the woman's head was tilted the other way.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
That's one way Superman usually beats him... er, I mean, Mxy too.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
...Did someone replying to that tweet seriously suggest Marvel got 'bullied'? Aw, the big bad feminists hurt the poor widdle publisher owned by loving DISNEY's feelings?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Oh, BTW, Alonso told CBR that no, no, the covers weren't cancelled due to the PR disaster, it was totally a scheduling mixup and Milo can't even do them anyway and they'll totally have him do some more in the future... some time.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Skwirl posted:

Gamersgate was a bunch of rear end in a top hat misogynists grabbing on to the smallest bit of controversy they could to further an agenda of harassing men and women for pointing out that videogames are often sexist, to the point that some people felt uncomfortable staying in their own home. What did you think it was about?

But you see, games journalists are friends with games developers sometimes, unlike film journalists, who are friends with screenwriters, actors and directors sometimes, and political journalists, who are friendly with politicians sometimes...

Basically, a whole lot of people on the internet don't know how cultivating sources as a journalist actually works.

Edit: And please no-one pretend like the whole 'exclusives for good review scores' thing was anything but MRA dicks grabbing hold of a well-known issue to mask their hate. That hasn't been news since before the Giant Bomb thing.

Gaz-L fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Sep 25, 2014

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Was Taters posted:

No, literally she's citing them as a symptom of a change at comic cons.

Except costumes and cons as a social thing is basically the stereotype of cons going back to the beginning. And hey, here's a crazy idea, why not contact a cosplayer or two and ask them if they'd like to do a costume based on whatever you're selling? If you're doing Star Wars commissions, having a dude dressed like Darth Maul or a lady done up as Ahsoka from Clone Wars is likely to get some foot traffic over your way. I realise that path lies dangerously close to booth babes, but it's more constructive than ":argh: How dare these fans have fun instead of spending even more money than it cost to get into the con?"

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

al-azad posted:

I love Ken Lowry's tweet buried in the bottom there. If people are legitimately concerned about censorship in comic books then the CBLDF should be richer than a small country, right?

Oh wait no because it's never about artistic integrity or publishers taking a stand, it's about Social Justice Wizards spoiling all the fun comic books objectify men too women wear revealing clothing in real life it's just fiction it's not real get over it if you want diversity in comics then stop complaining and make them yourselves m'lady *tips hat*

Ooh, wizards! I wanna be a Justice Wizard!

And yeah, I probably donated more to the CBLDF this month through Humble Bundles than the entirety of people using that hashtag seriously. And I just wanted some cheap Star Trek and Valiant comics!

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

zoux posted:

Hang on..."Comic Book Legal Defense Fund"?

...How do you post on the internet about comics and never hear about them? They're a First Amendment advocacy and legal aid charity for the comics industry.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
:shobon: Sorry, I seem to have a bad habit of coming off harsh when I mean to just sound genuinely puzzled/confused. I just assumed anyone who was into comics enough to post on an internet forum would probably look at other stuff on the internet to do with comics too, and it's kind of hard not to come across some stuff about the CBLDF if you do that, at least after a year or two.

No anger or offence intended, but sorry that it was conveyed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Plus that section only talks about cases they've actually helped those involved get legal representation for, which is a big part of their cause, but they also do a lot of stuff with campaigning against book-banning, alongside library associations, the ACLU and anti-censorship groups.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
But basically, if these 'comicgate' dicks actually think this is a free speech thing, then they should be both donating to and working with the CBLDF. I'm gonna go out on a limb and bet that the latter won't happen, and if the former does, it'll be because they get shamed enough to 'prove' that's what it's about.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Random Stranger posted:

Horses. But the horses have skis.

Amusingly, that description of Canada is basically how it was portrayed in the last Alpha Flight ongoing. Complete with the government brainwashing Northstar's husband to not be gay.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Sheesh, compensating much, dude on the right?

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
No western democracy that I've heard of would condone retroactive punishment. It's kind of a key tenet of legislature and judiciary. You can't punish people for doing something that literally wasn't illegal at the time. "Ignorance of the law is no excuse" is only a valid premise when the accused could reasonably know the law they've broken in the first place, which would be literally impossible if it didn't exist. Say, for argument's sake, that spitting on the pavement was made a capital offence 6 months from now. Should I be executed because I did it yesterday, despite having no way to know it would be a crime, let alone of that magnitude, and thus unable to reasonably choose to act otherwise with that knowledge in mind?

Yes, the upskirt dude is a perv and an rear end in a top hat and deserves any ire he gets, but you can't punish someone for something they had no way of knowing was illegal. (Whether he should've known it was 'wrong' is a different matter, but all kinds of things are morally or ethically 'wrong' but aren't legislated against, like infidelity or lots of instances of lying.)

bobkatt013 posted:

What she thinks is right is the law and anything else is illegal.
So the law should change to suit the individual, not the other way around?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmWQd8zhEg4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

TwoPair posted:

Actually, WickedHate, show me a vid of you beating up a ninja and I'll follow you to hell.

She'd have to beat a robot ninja, surely?

• Locked thread