Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Despite all the poo poo I got here on account of my tastes, this forum is the best I've found on the internet to talk about comics. The others are filled with idiots or are so slow than are practically inactive, so I'm hoping this forum last for years and years to come.

I wanted to take this to PMs, but can't so I'll just say it here. Thank you for taking things so gracefully and not being run off after the five billionth "Hahaha Dark_Tzitzimine" post. As bad as your tastes are, you're a good addition to BSS, and I think you're pretty cool on a personal level for putting up with all that and not running off in a huff.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bobkatt013 posted:

I mean how would you even explain their history?

Summarize the Zero Hour Legion and pretend there was never any others.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Quicksilver, the Vision, Wanda, and the other Avengers just hanging around doing stuff is adorable, like that other panel where Captain America is reading Tolkien and someone else is going out to a baseball game. :3:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

CzarChasm posted:

Ok. Sure. And next you'll get talking about what a great character Red Tornado is.

What are you talking about? Everyone loves Ma Hunkel.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alien Rope Burn posted:

I'll see your Red Tornado and raise you a Vibe, Tasmanian Devil, and Bloodwynd.

Did you mean Vibe, Tasmanian Devil, and Martian Manhunter?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alien Rope Burn posted:

On reflection, I think I meant Vibe, Tasmanian Devil, and Jan & Zayna.

Ed: I mean, how was I to realize somebody named "Bloodwynd" in the 90s actually looks kind of interesting on a closer look?

The Wonder Twins got off a lot better then a certain other pair of siblings originally introduced in Super Friends.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It would have been a lot better if it had the original Tornado Champion and Tyrant.

Who were actual tornados.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The fault in Hank Pym is on the fans and the writers, not the character. He could probably carry his own book that really explores himself, but loving everyone always brings up the wife beating.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Quicksilver is loving awesome and it's awesome we're getting two different Quicksilvers in coming movies.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Nobody tell him the comic book balloon busted last century, he might try and kill you. :(

If only there was a convenient guide to make sure we made the right investments.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
drat it. I just looked at April solicits and apparently the Son of Satan is going to be in Avengers Undercover and I really want to read it now solely for that fact.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 05:31 on May 13, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Die Laughing posted:

The way I heard it was that Stan thought green covers wouldn't sell, so everyone took it as gospel. Eventually someone really wanted to do a green cover, they showed it to Stan, and Stan liked it. He didn't even remember his edict.

Sort of like how one week he would say "More words on the covers!" and the next he'd want less words cluttering up the covers.

There was an interview with Jim Shooter and Stan Lee that covered this. (Ctrl+F "green")

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

Well, we were talking about movies, but if you want to talk about comic books congratulations on reading a bunch of poo poo comics instead of good ones, I guess.

Hey, that's basically his job around here. If he doesn't read them, no one would know just how truly bad they are and might accidentally pick them up thinking they could have improved.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

quote:

LEE: The honest-to-God truth is I thought I made it up for Uncle Ben to say. But then somebody wrote to tell me Voltaire had said it in French a couple of centuries before. I never read Voltaire. I don’t speak French. I just liked the way it sounded.

The original use of the phrase in Spider-Man was a narration box. :colbert:

He's ninety loving one though so you got to cut him some slack there.

Edit:

quote:

Then we’d sit down, and within a few seconds he’d say to the waiter, “You know who I am? I’m Bob Kane. I draw Batman. Look, I’ll show you.” And he’d draw a little Batman. He was happy being who he was. You can’t fault it. He was never on time for dinner, but he loved Batman and loved being recognized for it, and we’d have a great time talking up these characters. I’ve had a lot of good times.

Man, Bob Kane was a dick

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Mar 20, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Between that and the guy who attacked you with crutches, it'd probably save you a lot of hassle to just burn all your Spawn comics from now on.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gavok posted:

I admittedly don't follow Japanese wrestling, but this Prince Devitt guy has become one of my favorite wrestlers ever.

Badass.

The Venom is :krad: but the others just look a little dorky. The Carnage would look a lot better if it didn't have the bumps.

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 01:18 on Mar 30, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Marvel could still use Tony and Sony could still use Venom, but not vice versa. Venom is a character and an attachment. Tony may become Venom, but Venom is still separate.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timeless Appeal posted:

We already have an issue similar to that. Fox has the Super-Skrull, but Marvel has Skrulls as a species.

That's silly. Skrulls first appeared in the Fantastic Four's second ever issue.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Timeless Appeal posted:

It's about association more than anything else which is why we ended up with the weird situation involving Scarlet Witch and Quicksilver. Kingpin is also strictly under the Daredevil franchise despite originally being a Spidey villain.

Which I can understand, but I always got the impression the Skrulls were mostly still associated with the Fantastic Four. The only Avengers thing I can think they are tied into is the Kree-Skull War, and maybe Secret Invasion if you count that as primarily Avengers.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I agree with Literally The Worst completely, but if I had those particular books I'd probably pay someone to take them away from me.

That's a joke. I'd actually burn them, of course.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Choco1980 posted:

Though it did become funny when Teen Titans was on and actively refused to join the continuity, then suddenly they and JLU seemed to be in a sort of arms race to claim DC characters once JLU was a thing and TT brought the Doom Patrol into their storyline.
I remember an episode of Static Shock had Batman say Robin(Tim Drake) was "with the Titans" and it started even more arguments about who the TT Robin was, even though it was obviously meant to be Dick and Batman's comment was just a shout out. JLU also had Speedy look like his Teen Titans counterpart, but it was still only a little in joke.

Choco1980 posted:

On that topic, I barely got to watch it, did the Legion of Superheroes cartoon have any connection to other DCAU cartoons?

Nope, and it was terrible. Not for not being in the DCAU, just in general.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Choco1980 posted:

Yeah, and I remember Titans occasionally (and much more in the new series) making little sly references to Robin's identity as well, and being deliberately coy about it. One that sticks out in my brain was when there was some inter-dimensional being that was basically a Robin-mite that decided to hang out with the group, and Beast Boy had a chalkboard out trying to figure out who he was. One of the ideas was that he was an evil mirror universe Robin, whose secret identity was "Nosyarg Kcid".
Actually, the blackboard was for Red X's identity, and one of Beast Boy's theories was Jason Todd(and in the new TT gag cartoon, Beast Boy says about Red X, "I still think it's Jason Todd"). Nosyarg Kcid was the actual name of the Robin-mite character, and when Starfire went to the future, Robin was Nightwing. :eng101:

Choco1980 posted:

Are you sure? I ended up catching maybe like three episodes of it, and while the Superboy business was a total mess, it seemed like the Braniac stuff was pretty clearly connected. One of the few episodes I saw had Brainac-5 have a crisis of faith because the original Braniac's programming was a part of him, and IIRC, they used the same voice actor for Braniac-1 in that one. They even share the same tri-circle forehead pattern.

The circles have always been a part of Braniac, and aside from that he looked a lot different.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

Nice write up.

So, how does that work with the Earth Green Lanterns if they aren't affected by the reboot? Do they show back up to Earth and maybe mention that everything is completely different from how they remember it last time they were here?

That's the thing. It's not like they survived the reboot or something, like they literally just woke up in a new universe, but the parts of their backstory that are kept in make no sense in the new universe(like the Son of the Demon issue with Batman, as well as going through five Robins in as many years). A Green Lantern example would be Blackest Night and Brighest Day happening, despite it not fitting in at all with the altered canon, like Firestorm just coming into existence and with a completely different origin.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
It always felt weird to me the Damage Control thing was dealt with in the Wolverine tie ins. I never even knew about it until last year when I was reading through some Wolverine stuff I'd found.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I'm getting tired of it too. I still think Hickman is a good writer, but it feels fatiguing at this pace. Constant build up with lots of "WOAH THIS IS HUGE!" writing.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The biggest problem I have with the main series for me is Bill Foster's death not being a bigger deal, and his wife basically saying "Don't feel bad, it was basically his fault for rebelling in the first place". Other then that, I like it and can just ignore the amendment violations, as far as "he shouldn't be able to do this" goes. Except for The Watcher showing up for a panel just for a cheap, emotionless "poo poo's going down, see, this is so important" moment.

I kinda wish in retrospect that Spider-Man stayed on Iron Man's side, but there's no way he'd put up with the Negative Zone bullshit(which is my second biggest problem with the main series). But Spider-Man on the goverment's side, with his flashy gold and red Spider-Armor, is a kind of parallel to Captain America being against the government, because here's someone who's used to being a hated underdog suddenly being shoved into the limelight and luxury. However, I can't argue against it because his switching sides gave us this moment:

Frontline, on the other hand, is utterly garbage.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Lurdiak posted:

E: I just came back from a 3-day game jam in Toronto and got maybe 10 hours of sleep total and instead of going right to bed I checked this forum. I think I have a problem.

You're right, you do. Three whole days of not consuming media or using the forums? I'm disappointed. Read Ultimatum as punishment and turn in a three page essay by noon tomorrow.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Rob Liefeld looks like such a great person, and I am happy that he is indeed a pretty great person.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Endless Mike posted:

I can't wait to see what New 52 The Face is like.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
I just asked a black friend(who likes talking about racial subjects) if Spawn counted as a black super hero in terms of representation "because his skin is hosed up and burned". What I meant by "because" was "this is why I think it might be in question", but them not knowing anything about Spawn, it came off as "since his skin is burned does he count as black". It turned out okay because they got a kick out of my trying to explain.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Rhyno posted:

Well Al Simmons is a black man, was the argument that the burned skin is what made him black?

No, see, that's how my initial phrasing made it sound, and what caused frantic back pedaling as I tried to explain what I meant, which was "Is that considered representation even though he isn't visually black?".

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Gaz-L posted:

...OK, on the one hand, the whole gimmick of Spawn means that it makes sense that no-one stays in the role forever, that anyone who acts for good earns their reward, but um, did someone think "Hey, we have possibly the most prominent black male superhero on the market, let's throw that away!"

Well, the black friend I was talking to didn't even know Spawn was black, and he's a fairly big geek, so it's not like losing Black Panther or Storm, if we're talking in terms of prominence. It's still lame, though.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
The first season of Fantastic Four was so light and dumbed down it, no joke, reminds me constantly of the Disney Gummi Bear cartoon.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

bairfanx posted:

if you're nothing more than their YGO dealer, I'm baffled.

There's a sacred bond between dealer and dueler. Heart of the cards and all.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

zoux posted:

So it kind of occurred to me the other day that most Marvel heroes don't really give a poo poo/have secret identities. While all the major DC dudes are hiding who they are, I think Spiderman and Daredevil are the only major Marvel dudes that try to protect their identities. (And Matt Murdock barely counts since everyone knows he's DD irl).

I don't mean to get all anti-DC at a moment's notice, but the secret identity is just one of the many old cliches they've had since forever and won't give up. Most Marvel heroes(Cap, Iron Man, even the Fantastic Four and the X-Men) had secret identities for awhile, but dropped them as it became more obsolete. I'd say Spider-Man keeps his just because it's seen as an "important part of his character". Which it is, as long as he's eternally a teenager living with his aunt and working for someone who hates Spider-Man, and woo boy will Marvel be progressive as hell with their heroes but that's the one hill they wanna die on.

bobkatt013 posted:

Daredevil has recently announced that he is Daredevil and it got him disbarred. It is the reason he is in San Francisco.

He only recently admitted it, but it came out on the run before last and the previous one had pretty much everyone acknowledge it while he awkwardly denied it.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Skwirl posted:

I haven't read every issue of the Fantastic Four, but I have read the very first issue, and they didn't really have secret identities in that one.

You're right; I reread where I heard that and I'd misread. I also forgot about Hulk and Thor timid handicapped doctor Donald Blake.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Aphrodite posted:

Poor Mystique. Nobody wants her for her.

That was Magneto's whole sales pitch to her in First Class! drat it, Kyle! :argh:

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Senor Candle posted:

Yeah I didn't even bother trying. I did read all of my Uncanny X-Force omni though.

I read a few things too, including Preacher books I borrowed a few days ago. It was...very Garth Ennis, and the Voice was sadly underused. :sigh:

WickedHate fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Jun 26, 2014

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Mr. Maltose posted:

The Voice not being used was a sort of thematic point, though.

Maybe, but I went in excited to read about a unique and cool power being written well, and was disappointed it was used so rarely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Suben posted:

I tried Rat Queens and I feel like my life is worse for it.

That's how I felt about Preacher. Let's hate popular comics together, Suben.

• Locked thread