Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Hakkesshu posted:

That's understandable in most cases, but Dark Horse's comics are unquestionably the best EU stuff out there. Legacy is like the best Star Wars-related thing in the past decade or so. It's a shame they're losing the license, but I'm also kind of excited to see what Marvel's going to do with it.

Yeah, I really wish Legacy got a proper ending instead of a "To be continued". I don't have high hopes of Disney/Marvel picking it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

The phrase as used in the Avengers film is so hilariously overwrought and stupid on it's face that I like to think all the writers who have adopted, or referenced, it are just taking the piss.

It's almost 100% guaranteed that they're being pressured by editorial to include it, just like editorial forced Back in Black and Organic Web-Shooters and all those conveniently timed stories featuring whatever bad guy is in the latest film adaptation.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

irlZaphod posted:

No, it was an Avengers: Disassembled tie-in in Spectacular Spider-Man. It was remarkably similar to The Other though, it involved an insect-y villain called The Queen who incapacitates Peter, he ends up in a cocoon and when he emerges he has some new powers. Captain America showed up for 5 minutes too.

Reminder that this, of all things, is something Slott chose to revisit as the focus of his Spider-Island event.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

You forgot the part where he talks to some spiders.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mimir posted:

Whatever happened to the old guy with spider-powers who didn't wear shoes? What was his deal?

Long story short, he found out about the predestined spider-powers in his youth and did some mystical malarky that gave him the same powers, and he created a huge empire of money and power with it. Turns out him contacting Peter was part of the price of his malarky: the only way for him to live was to sacrifice the proper chosen one to the spider-spirit that was furious about him usurping those powers. At the last minute he had a mindmeld with Peter that let him see that he was being a shitfuck and sacrificed himself to set things right.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Dan Didio posted:

Moore's always been every bit the deranged, cynical, loopy old twat he looks like and I'm not sure why people are still treating him with kid's gloves as if he's just some poor vagabond set upon by Big Man Lazy Journalism.

Moore's a lot of things, but I don't really know if I'd ever use the word "cynical" to describe him.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

moot the hopple posted:

It used to be a fun story of modern, young superheroics a la Ultimate Spider-Man. Then it became panels of Ryan Ottley drawing people who get turned into spaghetti bolognese while Robert Kirkman does his best to cover all the artwork with his torturous word balloon layouts and wordswordswords

I can think of few art styles less suited to gore than Invincible's clean bright colorful layouts, but here we are.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Personally my biggest pet peeve when it comes to Lovecraft is when someone puts a tentacle creature in their superhero/action/mystery/pulp book and then goes and says it's "in the vein of Lovecraft" in all the promotional stuff and interviews. Critics and readers are guilty of this too. I just kind of wonder if anyone who uses the term "Lovecraftian" has ever actually read anything the man wrote.

[/grumpy old man]

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Waterhaul posted:

Well it's a bit better than having the stories include constant racist tirades of people with non white savage blood.

Advertising a comic as a "Lovecraftian tale" only to have it feature heavy racism and weird ideas about eugenics and nothing else would be a pretty good troll.

And technically more accurate than calling loving Thanos Imperative a Lovecraftian story.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Deadpool's definitely in the running.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I strongly advise against looking into the storage practices of basically anything you might consider valuable television or film history. Or video games, for that matter.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Marvel has Ravenloft, and unlike Arkham, you have to be REALLY nuts or otherwise not in control of yourself to be sent there. More Carnage, Vermin and all than, like, Riddler. It's not seen too often, and Slott went and killed off Dr. Kafka, the lady who runs the place.

Bullseye is very sadistic and definitely sociopathic but I don't think he hears voices, is delusional, suffered horrible trauma or is unable to understand the consequences of his actions.

Lurdiak fucked around with this message at 09:36 on Jan 23, 2014

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

Orc Stain.

Read Orc Stain.

No, seriously. Do it. Read Orc Stain.

I'm literally never going to read Orc Stain just because of that two-page thing about cutting up dicks to make them into currency someone posted years back. I know it's not representative of the usual content of the book, and I know it was just an extra in a single book, but I just ain't want to read no comic that has dick-cutting instructions attached to it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Qwo posted:

Dicks are great though, don't be a loser.

Dicks are fine by me, I'm just not big on genital mutilation!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Hakkesshu posted:

GBS is a mess, and a lot of people are calling for a general forum revamp and a mod overhaul.

All I know about whatever's going on is that GBS went from a place where people yell at each other over news items, praise Macklemore and finance hot dog carts to a place that's funny as hell and that bad posters are afraid to touch. I had no idea there was a downside to this.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Endless Mike posted:

But you post there.

Why you!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

So does anyone in the know want to explain these panels to me?

Because, to the untrained eye, it looks like an old Superman making out with a 14-year old (at most) girl.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Rhyno posted:

John Byrne.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBJZwYpHUBo

But also: :ughh:

I was really hoping it was some kind of art problem.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Ghostlight posted:

On Saturday I sat in a pizzeria listening to the guys next to me have a real-life Goku vs Superman argument, but inclusive of other people in comics as well. I never thought anybody would ever actually have that argument, let alone decide that although Goku would beat Superman easily, he couldn't beat Flash "because Flash can run through time".

That's sound logic and I endorse it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

I don't think this is fair at all and that you were looking to be upset, but whatever.

This is a really lovely and condescending thing to say, FYI. I ain't read Y: The Last Man but it's pretty dumb to assume someone picked it up hoping to get mad and disappointed at it.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Was it Paul Dini?

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I think I meant Bruce Timm. Whichever one of them thought it would be rad to have Batgirl and Batman hook up.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

It occured to me last night that almost no one calls Dr. Doom "Dr." in comics anymore. Everyone just calls him "Doom". I don't know if that's just an impression I get, but I feel like they've been more or less trying to ditch the nonsensical "Doctor" part of his name as much as they can get away with.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

How about Eminem meeting the Punisher?

That was a legitimately great comic and it was awesome seeing be-trenchcoated anti-social losers go insane over their idol crossing over with a "loving RAPPER".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Vision rules, you guys are jerks. :mad:

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

CzarChasm posted:

Ok. Sure. And next you'll get talking about what a great character Red Tornado is.

No, Red Tornado is Vision without any of the things that make Vision interesting. He can go to robot hell.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Red Tornado is like the only character Batman: The Brave and the Bold wasn't able to make interesting, which is astounding.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

Uh, that episode is completely awesome.

"Is this...tingling...the Christmas spirit?" *explodes*

That christmas ep and the episode where he has a robot kid are the only ones in the entire series I kept wishing would end already. As my friend observed, "gently caress you, boring Vision."

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

theflyingorc posted:

He gives batman a world's greatest detective mug, what is wrong with you.

edit: I was literally regretting my purchase of the DVDs until I got to the "Red Tornado wants to learn the meaning of Christmas episode, you have no soul."

I have no soul? You just poo poo-talked the first Aquaman episode.

Skwirl posted:

The only interesting thing about Vision is that he's a robot who slept with a witch.

Oh that is it, I'm going to make a Vision megathread as soon as I find my "40 Years of Avengers" DVD.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Skwirl posted:

I'm not sure who you're making fun of, you, or me, or Vision.

I'm being serious!

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mister Roboto posted:

How do people feel about the rumor The Matrix franchise is getting a reboot?

It'll be just as popular and memorable as the Total Recall and Robocop remakes.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I thought Rage had a lot of good ideas as a character but they were all a bit too on the nose and clumsy. Plus most of them got used way better when Bendis revamped Luke Cage.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr. Maltose posted:

Rage was the kid who had the Captain Marvel thing where he was in an super strong adult body but was like, 16, right?

He was like 12, yeah, but he looked like a beefy adult. Everyone perceived him as BLACK AND ANGRY THUG but inside he was just a good kid who loves his grandma and fights injustice the best he can.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Edge & Christian posted:

Maybe MODOK could use a hug.

That sounds more like a job for Mr. Fantastic.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Mr Wind Up Bird posted:

Man I wish all my lovely comics were worth a dollar each. If I could find someone to pay that rate for all of them I'd cash the gently caress out of this dumb hobby.

I too long for this day.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

His rep is "there's like 4 places I can be employed in comics, I better not talk poo poo about anyone, ever, or I might be down to 0 real fast".

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Timeless Appeal posted:

I will say that I think the coloring is lifting things up a bit. I usually see Land's art paired with very glossy coloring that aims for photo realism, but misses and hits Photoshop and just accentuates the issues with his pencils.

Yeah, those panels look like they might have been inked and colored with... actual inks.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Marvel was pretty much entirely run by the marketing department at that point, it was pretty terrible all around.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Literally The Worst posted:

Straight up if you don't think "Garth Ennis reminisces about reading FLESH!" is the best arc in comics, smh.

The very first FLESH! series was so unfairly good that everything else I read from early 2000 AD looked like crap in comparison. It hit that perfect balance of genuine awesomeness and heartless over the top satire and gore that makes Robocop such a memorable film. They did at least one direct sequel to it but it was soooo boring.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

Madkal posted:

One thing I think DC has gotten right and Marvel hasn't in regards to the way they approach TV is Marvel is doing a whole shared universe thing which I find hinders their output. You can't have certain characters show up because of movies, and audiences already associate this character with this actor, and you can't tell a Thor story that is completely divorced from Thor (the character: the movie). With DC we have Arrow which is using a bunch of DC characters but putting it's own spin on it (pretty sure Ras is going to show up in next season but that is a hunch and I doubt it will be Liam Neeson's Ras). They have Fox developing a Commissioner Gordon show and while the early rumours don't sound good it is still independent of a movie universe.
What I am trying to say is that Mavel is creating its own continuity for its live action media output and that can be a hindrance, while DC is doing the exact opposite and it frees them up to be a little more creative.

Eh, there's nothing stopping them from picking up bits and pieces from the movies. The Mandarin guy isn't gonna be asking for RDJ level salaries, for example. Smallville had essentially free reign over the entirety of Superman's mythos and was just as boring as Agents of Shield (if not more), and certainly wasn't as good as people are saying Arrow is. It's just a matter of the people running the show being terrible.

• Locked thread