Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Eegah posted:

How do you budget in expected income so it becomes Available to Budget at top? I just filed my tax returns and I know I'll be getting them in February, and want to pencil in plans for it.

That's not how YNAB is designed to work -- forecasting income breaks the pattern. You're only supposed to budget cash you have in-hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Eegah posted:

We'll that's irksome, kinda makes planning for larger items more difficult. Thanks.

If you want to get more specific, we can probably help a little better. Are you saving up to buy something in February, or have a bill coming due, or...?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

You've got it set to subtract from the overarching pool of available money for February, "Available to Budget". That's the number that appears in the top in big green numbers, as money yet to be budgeted.

For what you're describing, you want to select the second option which will subtract it from the Fuel category next month. The transaction was conducted in January so it lives in January, but the available amount to be spent out of your $50 fuel budget will be reduced because of the rollover transaction.

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 16:13 on Jan 31, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

What you're describing, while it makes sense to you, from YNAB (and or an excel spreadsheet or checkbook register)'s perspective is overspending your budget.

A) Allocate current dollars to a "Plane Ticket" category by reducing the budgeted amount in other categories.

B) Temporarily go over-budget in whatever category you enter the Plane Ticket transaction, when you actually spend that money. Then allocate the Tax Refund money to that category once the money arrives.

Either of those will follow the YNAB method, but the point in either is that you can't budget money that you don't have. (Within the YNAB system. Not physically. You get me.)

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I don't totally understand (because I only skimmed) the post, but if you feel the need to write "Paid $300 to Chase" in the memo field of a $300 transaction to your Chase account, you're doing something wrong.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

..you guys are overcomplicating.

1) RULE 4 is "Live on last month's income". Meaning if you get paid March 1 and March 15, you mark both of those as "Income for April" because you've got enough of a buffer in your checking account to pay for everything in March without spending March's paychecks.

2) You *can* budget however far in advance you want, and mark Income for whatever date in the future you want. That's just not part of the YNAB 'system'. You shouldn't budget for money you don't have on-hand.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Calculate the discrepancy and then search the bank's webpage (Ctrl+F) for it, or your YNAB log for it. Sometimes you just miss a thing over and over.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Suspicious Lump posted:

In YNAB if I budget $200 for education in July and end up spending $300, in August if I again budget $200 will education have $200 or $100?

Does a negative balance on a category rollover like a positive balance?

There are two ways to handle this in the software.

Option 1 is to deduct the overage from your category balance in the next month.

Option 2 is to deduct the overage from your total available to budget amount in the next month. That wouldn't impact your categories, just your overall Available money.

The preferred approach is Option 2.

http://www.youneedabudget.com/support/article/rule-three-roll-with-the-punches
http://www.youneedabudget.com/support/article/overspending-vs.-over-budgeting

lament.cfg fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Jul 23, 2014

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Stop faking the transaction dates. Categorize your late-month income as "Available for Next Month". A lot of you are working around the YNAB system intentionally -- either embrace it or find software that suits your desire better.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

gently caress iPads, where's my web version?

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

Fano posted:

It's really not all that complicated.

it works perfectly if you dehumanize yourself and face to ynab

if you try to fight the method it becomes awful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

TheCenturion posted:

Do you also try to peddle bicycles with your hands, then complain how horribly they work unless you use as intended, so dehumanizing, like it's the master telling you, a human being with agency and free will, what to do?

It's almost like we're agreeing but you were unable to take hyperbole as a joke