Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

beedeebee posted:

I tried YNAB a couple of times in the past, and I'll probably start again today (or maybe 1st of February? Not sure what would be best).

Anyway, me and my girlfriend have a shared account. We pay rent, gas etc. from that account. Thing is, she won't be using YNAB. So how do I best keep track of that account?
Set-up a non-budget account, then transfer money from my account to that shared account? Just budgetting from my account, and then transfer the sum to the non-budget account? Will that work?

Here's how I'd think about it. Other options work too of course, but I think this is most YNAB-y (grain of salt, I started using it pretty recently).

You don't pay $800 rent, you pay $400 rent. I would record your $400 transfer out as your rent, and do not add the shared account in any way (not on budget or off budget). If you're concerned about monitoring them cashing the checks or whatever, that's what I use mint for (or your bank's website if the shared account is at the same bank as your individual account).

I still use YNAB and Mint. YNAB's strength is planning and forcing you to think about every transaction you make (by manually entering, and by shifting money between categories if you overspend). Mint's strength is automatic monitoring for unauthorized/doubled/unpulled charges. I think there's value in using 2 tools (and the amount of time it takes to use Mint the way I do is minuscule. You don't have to even categorize transactions to get value from it). That said, I enjoy spending time thinking about this sort of thing. I totally understand if people want to consolidate to 1 tool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Lblitzer posted:

Would like an opinion on how to handle cash with a budget. Let's say I pay $100/month for cellphone service but also split it with a friend. He gives me $50 in cash for his split. Should I be budgeting for the whole bill as that's what I do pay and then add the $50 as an income in that Cellphone Bill category?

Almost, but not quite (assuming I'm reading what you do correctly).

I have a similar situation with rent. Putting it into your terms, I budget $50 for the category. When I pay the bill, I enter the transaction for the full amount, so I'm temporarily over in the rent category. Then when I get paid the $50, I categorize it as an inflow to rent and it balances. It has the added benefit of tracking that you get paid by your friend.

My understanding of what you do is you budget $100 for the category. Then when you get paid, don't you have a $50 balance in the category?

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

GreatGreen posted:

Yeah there's no way I'm moving to a subscription based model, no matter what fancy whizbang features they might put in YNAB 5.

The best feature they could (and are planning on) adding would be to make it not slow as hell. Not sure that's worth subscribing for, but it is an excellent feature.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Pinball posted:

Kind of a weird question, but I hope you guys can help me out. I'm currently living off savings (as I am a poor grad student), with two small paychecks coming in monthly from my part-time job and another monthly check from one of my parental units (who refuses to stop giving me money, and I've tried to make her stop), all of which goes into the savings account and gets withdrawn at the beginning of the next month. Obviously, YNAB doesn't like this weird situation, and when I try and set up the budget for the next month, it insists that I'm overbudgeted. How do I get it to understand that withdrawing money from my savings is technically income?

As mentioned, you could have your savings account be off budget and "pay yourself income" from it. If you want it to be on budget, (and this is the way I'd do it) would be to have a category named "Savings" with all your savings there, then every month record a negative <your living expenses> from that category. That will give you that amount to be available to budget. You'd then budget that as normal.

EDIT: Your small paychecks should just be recorded as income, and you should reduce the negative amount from your savings by the amount of the paychecks.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

You could also create an emergency fund category, and assign that available to budget money to that category. I prefer that to an off-budget account, since it will be easier to handle when you need to use it, but YMMV.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Irritated Goat posted:

Actually, like Gothmog kind of said, it's money I never want to touch. My wife's a contractor so that savings account is how we're paying her taxes next year.

Still, having a category "taxes" is superior to having the account off budget

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I don't really want to add another subscription to my life, but if YNAB5 is faster than the dog slow YNAB4 (something they say will happen), I'll have to at least consider it.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

TraderStav posted:

Does anyone have the most recent YNAB book before this update? My friend is trying to get up and running on 4 and I think it'd be a good place to start. The Learn section is all with the new software now.

http://classic.youneedabudget.com

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

How do people handle medium sized intermittent purchases? My fiancee is thinking about buying a new phone. We don't buy them that often, and not in a predictable pattern (she's at 3 years since her last new one, I'm almost at 2 1/2). Normally I'd set aside some money every month, but I think if I had the money saved to buy a new phone at 2 years, I'd buy one. Whereas if I don't set aside money, there's always the chance it breaks or something.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Working fine for me with Dropbox/Android/desktop

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Another ynab4 holdout here. I'd love to see another competitor in the space. I don't care about imports. All I want is YNAB4, except fast. Maybe a more fully functional mobile experience (change budgeted amounts, etc), but not at the expense of a more complicated UI.

However, being honest, I'm cheap and also hate subscriptions, so I'm not a guaranteed sale. If you offered something like $12/yr, $50 lifetime, I'd consider that, but I did wait until Ynab4 was on sale for $15.

I'm not trying to discourage you, but if your target market is "graduates" of YNAB, it's worth considering that some of those people are loathe to pay for things like that. On the other other hand, they aren't selling more YNAB4 subscriptions, so maybe it doesn't make sense to consider that a competitor.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

FateFree posted:

What do you guys hate so much about nYnab? I'm genuinely curious as I've only used nYnab and besides some things being counterintuitive, I generally like it alot.

Personally, it's not that I hate it, but that 4 does what I want (with the exception of being slow and clunky), and that I've already bought it.

I'm sure NYNAB is fine and I'd adapt to using it, but I try to avoid recurring subscriptions of any sort. $50 a year isn't a lot in the grand scheme of things, but I bought YNAB4 for $15 once. NYNAB also seems like it is more focused on new users. I use some of the features they took out (the red arrow to float reimbursable expenses from month to month. I have enough in reserve that I'm not worried about handling it this way), and some of the new features they added seem either actively harmful (credit card handling) or just not that useful to me (goals, auto-importing).

I also really believe in manually entering transactions. For me, having to look at the budget when I buy something is a good reminder to spend money thoughtfully. I'm not sure why they got away from doing things this way, except that it was hard for new people to stick to. I'm aware that no one is forcing me to auto import, but that's a major part of their pitch to upgrade people.

Also, the upbeat, vaguely cult-y feel of the company kind of puts me on edge.

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 02:08 on May 10, 2017

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

TraderStav posted:

As someone who hits save, and then save again just to make sure that the save took, I'd never consider a 'per save' fee. Not to mention that I dislike fees that are not tied to something that is a cost. Unless I'm ignorant, does it have any kind of material cost to save the data rather than store it?

Technically yes, since he's probably thinking about using your browser's local storage for the free option (that's what free financier does), and a cloud service he controls for the saved option. Obviously the storage doesn't cost $1 per budget (but he has to make money somehow).

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

FateFree posted:

So what happens in YNAB4 if you overdraw one of your categories? Is it overdrawn in the next months budget? It seems with nYNAB it deducts from your Inflow to be budgetted.

There are two ways it is handled, and you can toggle between them. The default is the same as nYNAB, where it gets deducted from to be budgeted. If you select the "red arrow" method, the category just rolls over in to the next month negative, and any funds allocated to that bucket first satisfy the deficiency.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

uvar posted:

I hope this isn't too stupid, I've been keeping my eye on this thread for a bit but maybe not long enough. People keep talking about YNAB4 as if it has some definite-but-unknown death date; is that just in terms of support/officialness or is it actually going to become unusable?

I use the desktop version on one computer, no syncing with dropbox or access from mobile apps (I do keep backups), mostly manual entries with OFX files for one account. Surely that's pretty much futureproof? At least for a few years, anyway.

You're probably pretty safe. Like Xik says, the main thing is the Dropbox syncing. I'm feeling pretty good about that too, since they just recently updated to the new Dropbox API. There's no guarantee they'll do that the next time Dropbox updates, but they do seem genuinely committed to maintaining YNAB4. I'm sure that'll stop eventually, but as long as the API doesn't change too dramatically, I'm cautiously optimistic.

El Mero Mero posted:

Is there anyway to select/enable the red arrow method in nYNAB?

Not by default, no. I don't use it, so I'm not sure if there is an addon or something.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

I haven't extensively used it, but if YNAB4 ever stops working, I'm planning on looking at Actual Budget, just to give you another thing to look in to.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

qsvui posted:

Any updates on this?

I followed the guide to update the APK myself and it diffs exactly the same as his post. I think it is legit, but if you don't, feel free to install apktool and adb and do it yourself, it is very easy (once you install those tools, which does take some fuckery).

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Seems like copilot is iOS/Mac only as well, correct?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

That's really cool. Anyone know if there is an android equivalent? Maybe something with tasker?