Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Alright, you guys win. I've been using the YNAB trial for 3 weeks or so and I love it. It's basically a glorified spreadsheet, but it's really easy to use and makes it really easy to see where your money is going. I just purchased the full version.

I do have a question though. I have a line in my budget to put $200 from my checking into my savings account each month. My checking and savings accounts are both "on-budget" accounts. When I do this $200 transfer, it complains when I assign it to a category. It apparently doesn't want me to use a category when I transfer between 2 "on-budget" accounts. I want it to show on my budget though.

Here's what I mean. This is what pops up when I assign it a category:

And on my Budget page, this is exactly how I want it to show up as:

If I remove the category as it suggests, I don't get the -$200 in my Outflow for my MM Savings category and it doesn't look like I transferred the money. How should I deal with this?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Cuddlebottom posted:

There are two ways to deal with this:
  1. If your savings account is money you're not going to touch any time soon, like retirement savings, move that account off-budget. That way, a transfer to that account is "spent" money and the transfer can be categorized.
  2. If that account is money you might spend, like an emergency account, just budget money towards it and let the budgeted balance accrue. Don't worry about it not showing up as an expense, because you've already accounted for it by budgeting it. As long as you don't go over the rest of your budget, of course :)

LogisticEarth posted:

This. Just let the money build up in the category, and don't log it as an outflow. If you ever need to withdraw money from it, you can enter a negative amount for the month, and it will add that money from the balance to your available cash. If you already have a chunk of change in the money market account, the first month's "input" into the account should be the balance of it. So Month 1 might have $10,000 or whatever as inflow, but Month 2 (and each going forward) will have $200, or whatever you put into it. Just remember to also log the transfer so your account balances stay accurate.

I will use Cuddlebottom's suggestion #2. Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

This. Just let the money build up in the category, and don't log it as an outflow. If you ever need to withdraw money from it, you can enter a negative amount for the month, and it will add that money from the balance to your available cash. If you already have a chunk of change in the money market account, the first month's "input" into the account should be the balance of it. So Month 1 might have $10,000 or whatever as inflow, but Month 2 (and each going forward) will have $200, or whatever you put into it. Just remember to also log the transfer so your account balances stay accurate.

Ok, I think I got this now.

So basically, everything left over after budgeting gets dumped in to my MM Savings/Emergency account. On month 1, I put the original balance of my emergency fund, then for subsequent months, I'm basically putting "emergency fund monthly budget" = "my income" - "rest of my budget items"? This should make it so the top says "$0 available to budget", correct? Which should mean that every dollar of my income is accounted for in one way or another.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Veskit posted:

Is that your emergency savings on top of having all your bills covered for the foreseeable future? This is just nitpicky because that's a good amount of savings, but I would try and go 6 months out with that emergency savings and assign that money to future dollars. It can give you a more accurate view of what your money is going to be doing. This is "step 4" of the YNAB method.

That's basically my "oh poo poo I got laid off but still have a mortgage to pay" fund. Should I be splitting it into two categories: 6-month emergency fund and savings?

quote:

IF you actually have gone 6 months out with the money, AND have that much in emergency money I'm guessing goons will have other ways for you to use that money besides have it sit there.

I actually am planning on opening up a Roth IRA to dump $5500 in for 2013, then start investing anything over a 6-month emergency fund with Vanguard funds. Or something. I actually just added another category for Roth contributions.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

LogisticEarth posted:

What I do is charge whatever goes on the card to the Restaurants category. Then, I make a separate transaction for the cash, however instead of logging it as income, I log it as an inflow in Restaurants rather than an outflow. This has the benefit of not only keeping your actual spending in the category accurate, but also keeping your cash balance and card balances accurate too.

Yup, this is what I do too. I just paid $2400 for hoodies/tshirts and stuff for 2 of my hockey teams and stuck that in my Clothing category, which is obviously way over my monthly Clothing budget. As everyone paid me for their junk, I didn't log it as income for this/next month, rather just putting an inflow for my Clothing category. After everyone paid me, I was only negative on the stuff I bought for myself.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I budget $50/month toward medical expenses, but just had an unexpected medical expense. It wasn't too terrible, but it was $600 (being switched to a high deductible plan sucks balls) so I had to dip into my emergency fund. Do I categorize this as a medical expense, or count it against my emergency fund category?

Right now I categorized it as Medical, then the carry-over negative balance subtracted from my "available to budget next month." I plan to put a negative number for my emergency fund contribution next month to make up for it. Does that sound right?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Makes sense.

I made a negative contribution to my emergency fund (for this month) and shifted that money to my Medical category to 0 the balance. Easy enough!

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Mar 14, 2014

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Nope, I actually thought that HSA was a use-it-or-lose-it at the end of the year, so I never bothered. Now that I know this is not the case, I will definitely set one up.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

When do you guys use each of these options? Right now, I have the bottom one selected for anything that runs over-budget.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just merged my Beer and Entertainment categories.

I did a search for all Beer transactions, changed the category of them all to Entertainment, added the $50 Beer budget to my Entertainment category for this month, then deleted Beer.

Now that you mention it, I may do the same for Gas/Electric...

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah sorry, I forgot I had to merge the budget values for all previous months as well or else I was over budget.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I just had something like that happen. It ended up being me typing in $64.08 instead of $64.80. I checked everything a million times. It always being something dumb.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My investment accounts are off-budget. I make a budget line item for my Roth IRA, say $350/month. When I make my monthly transfer, it uses that budgeted $350 and transfers it to my off-budget account. Then on the first of the month, I'll do a manual balance adjustment to account for the market gains/losses.

My employee stock purchase account is off-budget as well. It is funded directly from paycheck deductions, so I don't bother tracking that money in YNAB other than manually adjusting the balances on the first of the month. Same with 401k.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

The GPS payee tagger makes the mobile app fantastic.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah I have no clue why it isn't on by default. Seems silly.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

How do you guys categorize stuff like vacations?

I previously rolled everything into one general discrecionary category called Entertainment, which included my blow fund and savings for vacation. I realized that I don't like having a savings fund rolled into the same category as my beer fund, so I split them up.

When I'm actually on vacation spending my money, should I be categorizing all my expenses as Vacation, or putting them into their appropriate categories (Gas/Restaurants/Entertainment/etc)? After thinking about it, it makes sense just to categorize all of my "while on vacation" transactions as Vacations. That way I don't have to change my monthly budget amounts for my regular categories, such as double my Gas budget if I'm doing a lot of driving on vacation. Does that make sense?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ok cool, I like that better so I don't need to bump up my Restaurants/Gas/whatever categories while I'm on vacation. It messes up my averages when I try to budget those categories for next month.

Thanks!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

HonorableTB posted:

Is it normal to be overbudgeted when you don't have your second check yet? I feel like I'm falling into a trap of only budgeting what I have, right that second, to the point where I don't want to allocate budgets to things I know I'll be able to fulfill in two weeks.

Edit: The savings categories are exactly what I'm hesitant about

If you already have your one-month buffer, sure.

I get paid twice a month, but do my budget one month in advance. I'm negative 2 paychecks "overbudgeted" for next month until my paychecks start coming in this month. I just "overbudget" myself next month for the sum of 2 of my payechecks.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I always carried the negative balance forward to the same category. Go $40 over in Restaurants? I get $40 less next month. Never really thought about doing it the other way.

I guess it would be useful for bills, such as gas/electric, where it varies each month.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Thank baby Jesus. It is insanely annoying to have to edit your budget and approve recurring payments on a PC.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Just got an email from YNAB saying the iPad app is now in the AppStore.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah make sure your Dropbox is syncing. I had an issue with that last week.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Shadowhand00 posted:

Are anyone else's files for YNAB getting huge on dropbox?

23MB for 10 months of use between 2 budgets and probably 5-7 devices.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Handsome Ralph posted:

I've got a budget newb question. Say I budget 40 dollars a month to some form of discretionary spending, if I don't end up using all 40 dollars for that "job", what do I do with the surplus? Send it over to another "job" (savings or something)?

You can either assign it elsewhere for that month, or let it just carry over to the same discretionary category next month. Up to you!

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

drat IT posted:

I agree that it's worth having a separate cash account to track what is in your wallet. I enter all cash transactions rounded up to a whole dollar amount and don't bother tracking loose change. Simple and easy to reconcile.

Exactly what I do. It's super easy since I spend cash like once a month.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Dango Bango posted:

I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle my tax return and work bonus, which I got within the last two weeks. I used my return to do the old rule 4, but there's still "leftover" money. Do you guys tend to budget ahead so you're two months instead of one? Or just dump it all into emergency/rainy day funds?

After typing this out, I'm realizing it shouldn't matter. I basically just want to make sure it's not there to burn a hole in my pocket.

I made a "House/Whatever Savings" category and stick excess cash into there.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

SaltLick posted:

I'm still using YNAB 4 but is there a way to send the rest of available monies to the next month? I know that it does it automatically but I'd like that "Available to Budget" to read zero.

I created a "Savings for Whatever" category that I just stuff the leftover money into.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

IllegallySober posted:

I am also still on YNAB4. No reason to fix what isn't broken.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Defenestration posted:

Buh? My Amazon card just kicks out $$ credits toward my balance on Amazon.

Then I just buy stuff with the credit and it never hits my statement or ynab. Love that easy to use free money.

Don't do this. You're passing up 3% cash back on your new purchases. Put your credit toward statement credit.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Every time I read a post about nYNAB, I'm so glad I stuck with 4.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

FateFree posted:

Is anyone able to move money around via the YNAB mobile app? It looks like I can enter the transaction from one category to another, but nothing ever happens afterwards.

You can on the iPad app, but not the phone app.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

I have some transactions in my YNAB4 that are auto entered by my desktop version. Every once in a while, they absolutely refuse to sync to my phone. I have to delete it from my desktop and manually re-enter it before it syncs down to my phone.

This doesn’t happen every time for auto-entered transactions, just every once in a while. Dropbox on my pc and phones are both linked and working correctly. I had no clue what’s happening. Anyone else see this ever?

Second issue that I’ve seen forever: every so often, I enter poo poo in on my phone, and next time I open the app, it’ll say the desktop triggered a re-sync. After syncing, anything I’ve recently entered is gone. It doesn’t actually sync it, it just straight up deletes my recent stuff I’ve entered.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

They're totally going to stop all development on 4 and some Dropbox API will get changed and make us all cry.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Wait, they raised their prices? :lol:

I am going to be so loving sad when a Dropbox API change fucks YNAB4 for good.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Alright, I'm using YNAB4. My wife and I have separate budget files. I put everything in on the spot. She usually waits 2 weeks and bulk puts all her transactions in. Almost every time she gets done entering a shitload of transactions on her phone, she gets the "the desktop signaled a change" bullshit error and it wipes out everything she just did. This never happens to me. What the gently caress is happening?

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

My wife and I are on YNAB4. I'm the one who enters amounts and poo poo right after I'm done at the store register, because the GPS tagging makes things super easy. My wife, on the other hand, will go back and enter her transactions like every 2-3 weeks, so her budget is never up to date.

Coupling that with the fact that she is always getting Dropbox errors which make her re-sync her (and lose all her progress) stuff for who the gently caress knows what reason (most likely entering 200 transactions at once since I never see these issues), I'm slowly starting to think how much easier it would be (for her) to have automatic importing. Please talk me out of spending real money on nYNAB every month.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Ughhh, probably 8 out of every 10 times I open YNAB4 on my iPhone 8+, it makes the phone completely unresponsive and I have to end up rebooting to get it to actually open without issue. I have like 5 years of budget history in it, so no clue if that has anything to do with it, but it just started happening within this past month. I swear this poo poo, along with my previously-mentioned desktop triggering a sync change or whatever, is slowly grinding me to the inevitable decision to convert to nYNAB.

e: Why the hell can't I find an official list of banks that nYNAB supports for auto-importing?

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 00:19 on May 4, 2018

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Yeah that's probably what I'll end up doing, but it's kinda of loving dumb they don't have a list.

My wife and I have a billion accounts for different purposes across different banks. This is going to be a mess.

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Is there any way to merge 2 YNAB4 budgets into a single nYNAB one? I am guessing no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Oh my god, migrating my budget is a loving nightmare. Stuff like my emergency fund category that I had money in for like 4 years, now magically shows $0.

Maybe I'm just not getting now nYNAB works, but It's like it doesn't carry a balance over to the next month or anything?
And what the gently caress on credit cards? I pay my balance off every month but it created a new category under "Credit Card Payments," with some random amount of money in it, that doesn't seem correlated with the actual balance on my CC.

Trying to figure this out, it seems that it automatically moves budget money from my Groceries category over to the CC under "CC Payments" section if I buy groceries with a CC. Man I'm so confused.

I'm half-tempted to just blow it up and start fresh, but I like having the history, especially net worth.