Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

I've been playing around with YNAB for the last week or so and I really like it. I'm guessing the next sale on it won't be until around Christmas?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

SaltLick posted:

I thought I read somewhere that they don't do the steam sale anymore. Might be better off using the guy in SA mart

Does someone in SAMart currently have a key for sale that I missed? Do you have a link?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SaltLick posted:

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3599565

I used that guy a while ago but I'm not sure on his current inventory.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3528291

There's that guy who does a flat 15% off though

Thank you for the links! Just posted in the first guy's thread to see what is available.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Just a heads up to anyone about to buy it. On the YNAB forums they have announced a "soft launch" of their newest version which is online only I believe. I think they are also stopping development on the desktop program. Might be worth waiting a week or two to see how things shake out. I'm not sure if it's going to be a monthly subscription you have to pay for or what the deal is.

Yeah, I saw that too- but I'm honestly fine with YNAB 4 and I don't want to pay a monthly fee for it. :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Stupid YNAB questions incoming:

I had a $1000 emergency fund separate from any bank account that I had not accounted for anywhere in YNAB because I didn't want to think about or see that money- I wanted to pretend as if it didn't exist. However, last week, my car broke down and I had to use $500 of that money to repair the car. How do I now account for this transaction in YNAB? And how do I then go about replenishing that emergency fund in YNAB? Do I create a new category and then hide it when I've replenished it or something? Please talk me through this like I am a small child. :)

Second question- is there somewhere I can go to run detailed reports for all transactions categorized under a certain category? I have one category where I'm paying a bill and receiving portions of this bill back from friends on a monthly basis and I'm pretty sure I screwed something up because the category is showing I have far more money available to spend than I believe I actually have and now I'm trying to reconcile that.

Thanks for putting up with me! I really like this software but it's a little confusing on occasion ;)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Easychair Bootson posted:

Why not keep it in YNAB but in an off-budget account? It keeps it out of your budget until you need it, and then you can transfer it in. To replenish it, create a budget line item and put $100/mo or whatever into it. I guess for some reason you want to actually transfer the money out of your bank account? That seems unnecessary and counter to what YNAB helps you do, so maybe reconsider your method. Remember that your account balances aren't what matter, it's your budget category balances that you look at.

Reports > By Payee > select your payees and run report > click on the graph (pie chart thing) for a list of transactions

I wanted it completely off-budget because that way I don't think about it when I have it and it's not in a bank account for me to spend. I know it's not exactly what YNAB teaches but while I'm getting used to YNAB I thought it was a good thing to have.

That being said, I went ahead and added it to the budget for now which will solve both of the current problems with that (tracking the expenditure and replenishing the fund)

And thanks for the tip on the reports. I'll go dig through that and see where I went wrong!

Okay, something else I don't think I fully understand:

With YNAB, the idea is that you basically have a series of "digital envelopes" that you're budgeting your money with, right? So let's say last month, when I started YNAB, I had $100 in a savings account and when I set up YNAB I "budgeted" that money for my Buffer. I didn't withdraw anything from it, it just carried over. Now it's a new month, that $100 is still sitting there, but it's not in my checking account, it's in my savings. When I'm budgeting my money for the new month, the only way I could overdraft is by spending the money that's in that Buffer, correct? Even though it's not in the actual checking account?

Even typing that out I'm not sure if my have my question right but hopefully it's enough for you guys to understand. I'm not to Step 4 yet but I'm terrified I'm going to have something bounce because I don't have the money in the right spot and I'm not certain what I'm doing.

Edit 2: Okay, now I think I really hosed myself. When I made the "emergency fund" an on-budget account, that then added that $500 to the pool to budget, didn't it? So when I budgeted to zero and cued up bills to pay- I was doing it with $500 that isn't actually in that account, wasn't I?

God drat it, I'm getting really frustrated trying to make sense of this poo poo. I don't know if I'm making it harder than I need to or what but I'm pretty sure I just paid a bunch of bills with money that isn't actually in the account because YNAB said "yeah, go ahead, there's lots of money still left!" HELP

Referee fucked around with this message at 07:13 on Nov 12, 2015

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Dale Sveum posted:

The way YNAB works with money is it takes all of your on-budget accounts and puts all of that money into one big pool of cash. It doesn't care what account the money is, only that it is on budget.

From there, it takes money from that large pool and puts it into envelopes.

In your example, if you had $1k in your checking, you would have $1k in that big pool. If you add your savings account of $500 to on-budget accounts, you will now have $1.5k.

If you try to pay bills totaling $1.5k from your checking account, you will of course overdraft on your checking account because you only have $1k in there.

To prevent this, you need to just be aware of how much money you have in what accounts, and try not to budget actual outflows beyond what's in your primary spending account.

This is what I realized after the fact. Thank you for the clarification though :) Having to keep track of making sure outflows I'm adding is less than what's in the primary account seems cumbersome, though, and easy for an idiot like me to screw up. I suppose I could just throw all my money into the one checking account? (the "big pool" you referenced?)

Defenestration posted:

It's ok friend, you are ok.

What you should have done was budget that $500 in your initial month to a category called "emergency savings". Then it can sit there until an emergency arises. If you paid bills out of that, it's ok too, because it is money you have!

So if you need to not overdraft, go to your bank and quick transfer some of that $500 to your bill paying account (remember to log it as a transfer in ynab. It doesn't affect your budgeting but it does affect for reconciliation balance). Then, next month, you can start saving again to build up your emergency fund. Just budget what you can to that category, until you're happy with the cushion. it doesn't matter what account it's sitting in, because you should be looking at your budget not your bank balance.

Thanks for the reassurance. :)

Moved the $500 to my checking account today to cover my over-eager bill payments. I'll just have to make sure I budget the rest. I created a category called "Emergency Fund Replenishment" which I have budgeted the remainder of the available money towards.

More stupid questions:

When I budget money towards paying a credit card that I have not made transactions with that month, I should NOT see anything in the Outflows column for that budget line, correct? When I make the payment I'm recording a transfer from my checking account to the CC which decreases the balance on the sidebar, as it should. But I should never see anything on the Outflow line unless that's where I'm recording interest charged...right? (other than the first month I set up the account which added the pre-YNAB debt)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

gariig posted:

IllegallySober if you haven't taken the YNAB courses I highly suggest it. Even if you can't make it to a "live" course signup and I think they send you a link to a pre-recorded one. It goes over how to use the software (which is a bit obtuse) and the whole "4 rules" aspect of YNAB.

Thanks- I watched all the videos already and did take the live Intro course. I'm just trying to confirm my understanding of it :) I thought YNAB was really obtuse when I saw other BFC'ers using it before but after digging into it more it seems like a really useful tool- I think the hardest part is just getting everything set up.

As of right now I think I have everything added into it except for my IRA accounts. Is there a reason or benefit to adding these? I'm not going to be budgeting outflows from them or anything but I guess they are part of my net worth so according to YNAB they would be useful to have in there? How does one reconcile these with the value changing?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Dale Sveum posted:

That is one option. If you prefer keeping emergency funds in a savings account, you can always throw that into an off-budget account (in YNAB) and when you add to the fund you can count it as an outflow from your budget. Then you don't have to worry about buying something or paying bills with money that isn't in your checking.

My problem was I didn't know how to account for the "income" that came from transferring the initial $500 from the off-budget account into the on-budget checking account to pay for the car repair.

So ultimately this is what I want to get back to (having $1000 I don't think about and isn't in an account) and then also build a secondary emergency fund that will still stay in the account. Tell me if this makes sense:

So, as of right now, I have an emergency fund account (on-budget) that is at a zero balance and I have a line item in YNAB for Emergency Fund Replenishment that has $180.71 budgeted to it. If I now make the current Emergency Fund off-budget, YNAB freaks out and tells me I'm $1000 overbudgeted. It's sounding like what I want to do is the following:

- Budget each month until the balance of the Emergency Fund Replenishment line item reaches $1000
- When it does, create a new, off-budget Emergency Fund account
- Transfer the $1000 balance in the Emergency Fund Replenishment line item to the new, off-budget Emergency Fund
- Hide the off-budget Emergency Fund account
- Continue budgeting each month into the Emergency Fund Replenishment line item
- Transfer these funds each month into the old, on-budget Emergency Fund

Is this too convoluted or does this make sense for what I want to do?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

gariig posted:

It depends. Why are you doing this? What benefit do you get for putting the $1000 into an off budget account? If you think you'll check your account balance, realize you have an extra $1000, and buy a PS4... then hide it! However, I think keeping way more cash than you can spend on hand and in your checking account is the easiest. You don't have to worry about over drafting because your net worth is accessible right now but you're spending to your budget not your account balance.

The benefit would be that despite best intentions I can't accidentally spend the money like I just did a few days ago while I'm learning the software. :) Although I suppose once I hit Step 4 that would be pretty difficult to do.

dreesemonkey posted:

Yea by hiding money from yourself, you're kind of missing the point of YNAB in the first place. gariig is right, spend to your budget and not your account balance. Checking account balances are irrelevant outside of emergencies, you look to YNAB to tell you what you have available in your subcategories.

You still need willpower to keep yourself from "well I have 1000 in emergency fund savings but I'd really like to buy Fallout 4, despite not budgeting it, I'll pay myself back next month". It's a learning process.

This is not meant to be rude, but constructive: Given that you've had two threads in this forum and you're still wanting to hide money from yourself, you've got to work on planning and impulse control.

While I know you prefaced your last comment with saying it wasn't meant to be rude, I kind of can't help but take it that way. You're suggesting that because I wanted to set up an additional safeguard to help myself save money for emergencies, I need to work on impulse control?

For what it's worth, the idea behind this was taken straight from Ramsey who last I heard was thought of reasonably well here. Awful App is being a pain so I can't upload the image of the page in this post but I'll try again later if anyone cares.

This is what I'd done with my emergency fund for the last year or so, and it worked- I never even thought about having the money. Would doing this in conjunction with YNAB be redundant? Maybe. Is it a little silly? Yeah, I suppose so. But if it helps me, what's the harm in doing it?

To me it's no different than adding an off-budget account that isn't tracked. The only difference is the location of the money, right?

(And yes, I've started two threads in this forum- both of which were ultimately very helpful to me. I don't currently have an active thread but I suppose I could start a third if BFC really desires more entertainment. I'm not sure why that matters to the current discussion though.)

For now, I guess I'll try it yours and gariig's way and see how it works out.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

YNAB 4 is fine for what I need now. I'll wait and see what they add to nYNAB and decide later. Right now it's more important for me to continue learning more about YNAB 4 and getting used to that version. Particularly since that's already a sunk cost.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Bizarro Kanyon posted:

I am in between on whether to go with the new YNAB or stay with 4. The extra cost is something that may not be needed (but would show thanks for the last two years of using the program). One thing that really sets apart is that both my wife and I have only work laptops and my wife does not feel comfortable downloading YNAB on those since she worries about privacy. We have been looking at getting a Chromebook but there was not a YNAB app for the Chromebook (and I had read that trying to run the program on Chrome OS was an issue). Like their announcement mentions, this would now be compatible with Chromebooks since it would be a web based program.

I guess that is why they are doing 34 day trial to see what you think of it.

Also, they do allow you to import your old budget into the new system (what happens if you do not set up the subscription is beyond me).

http://www.youneedabudget.com/learn/guide/transition-guide#migrate

Edit: ^^^^^^^^^^^^ BEATEN! drat YOU!

Interesting. I don't have a "check for updates" button in my YNAB 4 on PC under the File menu. I'm apparently on 4.3.761. Anyone know where I can find the update button?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Rurutia posted:

It's under the 'Help' button.

:confused:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Rurutia posted:

Weird, I have "Check for Updates" and "Release Notes" in the section above "Walkthroughs" where you see that empty section.

You can just download the latest version, it'll update your YNAB. http://classic.youneedabudget.com/

Thanks, that fixed it :)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Tayter Swift posted:

Until it breaks due to some OS upgrade screwing it up. Could be months, could be years.

They've committed to supporting it through the end of 2016 so "months" is not an accurate statement.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Okay, this is hopefully the last dumb question I'll have. Everything below is in YNAB 4.

My understanding is that your credit card balance on the left under Accounts should always equal the "red arrow" balance for the current month. Mine does not and I'm pretty sure it's because I'm mis-categorizing somehow.

I don't use this credit card with the exception of one auto-payment that expires at the start of February. This payment is for season tickets that are in my name but are split three ways and I re-sell my portion. I collect payment from each of the other two people every month and then pay the credit card with their money, plus my own budgeted amount, to off-set the charge. Make sense so far?

How I was accounting for this in YNAB was when I received the money from the others, I would enter it as an inflow to that category. Then, when I paid the credit card, I would do a transfer from checking to CC to pay the CC. This was so I didn't have to budget the whole amount of the tickets myself (since I am reimbursed before the charge for that) and I could accurately account for what I was responsible for.

Yet, somehow, my actual CC balance differs from the "red arrow" balance by $329.99 and I don't know why. What's the easiest way for me to figure out what's happening here and fix it? ($329.99 is not the amount of a single payment- the total charge each month is about $234 and all accounts have been reconciled and match on the left.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

IllegallySober posted:

Okay, this is hopefully the last dumb question I'll have. Everything below is in YNAB 4.

My understanding is that your credit card balance on the left under Accounts should always equal the "red arrow" balance for the current month. Mine does not and I'm pretty sure it's because I'm mis-categorizing somehow.

I don't use this credit card with the exception of one auto-payment that expires at the start of February. This payment is for season tickets that are in my name but are split three ways and I re-sell my portion. I collect payment from each of the other two people every month and then pay the credit card with their money, plus my own budgeted amount, to off-set the charge. Make sense so far?

How I was accounting for this in YNAB was when I received the money from the others, I would enter it as an inflow to that category. Then, when I paid the credit card, I would do a transfer from checking to CC to pay the CC. This was so I didn't have to budget the whole amount of the tickets myself (since I am reimbursed before the charge for that) and I could accurately account for what I was responsible for.

Yet, somehow, my actual CC balance differs from the "red arrow" balance by $329.99 and I don't know why. What's the easiest way for me to figure out what's happening here and fix it? ($329.99 is not the amount of a single payment- the total charge each month is about $234 and all accounts have been reconciled and match on the left.)

As it turns out, this problem was because I had money sitting in my checking account that was supposed to have been sent to the CC company and never was :eng99:

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

SaltLick posted:

Positive net worth as of this friday.

:toot:

That is some seriously awesome progress. Congrats! Did you get a new job or something around September? Seems like the net worth started taking off around then.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

myron cope posted:

Do you guys have a "cash" account for ynab? If you almost always use a credit card, at least. I'm pretty sure the teachings somewhere say to have one, but it's way easier for me to just have the money leave the budget when I withdraw it from an ATM.

Yes, I have my wallet as a cash account in YNAB and round cash purchases when I make them up to the next dollar.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Combat Pretzel posted:

After all that time with YNAB, I still can't get used to pulling out the smartphone and logging the expenses every time they happen.

I never thought I would do this but I actually really like it.

Two things the YNAB app really needs, though:

1) Touch ID as a password option

2) The ability to log a transfer of money between on-budget accounts

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

benem posted:

Maybe a dumb question, but is there any way on the mobile app to change which month's budget you can view?

Got paid today, but it doesn't seem like I can budget it for next month's expenses....

Not that I'm aware of, no.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

:aaaaa:

I was looking for a button on the first entering transaction screen- never looked in the payee for a transfer option. Thanks!

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

uPen posted:

Your Grocery budget is $100. You spend $25 on groceries with a credit card. YNAB moves $25 from your grocery budget to your CC budget so your grocery budget is now $75 and your CC payment is $25. You shouldn't move that money out of that category since you need to pay that CC off at the end of the month with that money.

This is not how YNAB4 handles it, however- which is why I haven't made the jump to nYNAB. I'm too used to the YNAB4 way.

Edit: At least I don't think it is, anyway. I'm not spending on that CC so I'm not certain but I don't believe it automatically moves anything around.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

I am also still on YNAB4. No reason to fix what isn't broken.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

dreesemonkey posted:

FYI you can edit the budget with classic YNAB if you have the iPad version.

Really wish they'd bring that ability to the 6+.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Rocks posted:

Is there a way to roll over negative balances from one month to the next? Sometimes there's a reason for carrying them (ie work expenses).

I don't believe so on nYNAB (which is why I'm still using YNAB4).

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

No Butt Stuff posted:

I returned something on one credit card, and added it back to the budget. Then I paid that card off for the month and paid the other one down to a small balance until payday just to have cash in checking. For some reason it shows the card I paid off is negative, which I assume is overpaid. This is also rolling into next month and holy poo poo it is making me irrationally angry. I have no idea where this came from or how to fix it and it's really pissing me off. I loving hate nYNAB and I think it's almost time to switch to financier.

Originally posted in the wrong thread.

I have no idea what the gently caress to do and it is pissing me off royally. All transactions are in the right spot, no account is overspent, there's just a random weird accounting error on the main screen that forwards into the next month as "Overspent in Oct" which makes no sense to me.

Can you edit the original transaction to reflect the purchase without that item and just delete the return?

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

HardDiskD posted:

You people should really get the classic ynab mobile app and enter the transactions right when you buy things.

It took me a while to get in the habit of this but now it's second nature. It's great.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

Every time I read a post about nYNAB, I'm so glad I stuck with 4.

Yup, me too.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

YNAB4 for life. I have none of these problems.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

BAE OF PIGS posted:

I have a question about how to enter something into YNAB4. I'm assuming the answer is going to just be "whatever works best for you" but I thought I would ask to see if there is something I'm missing. My girlfriend recently moved in with me, so a lot of my monthly expenses like rent and utilities have been cut in half. Because a lot of the utilities are in my name and linked to my accounts, I just pay for them and she cuts me a check for her half. Same thing with the rent, I'll pay it all, and she'll give me a check* for her portion.

For my budget, should I continue budgeting the full cost of the utilities and rent and when she gives me money enter it as income? Or should I halve the budget/paid amounts? What I did do last month was I budgeted and entered in payments for the full amounts and entered her checks in as income for that month.

*I could just have her write a check to the landlord and we could both turn in our rent checks at the same time, but she's still getting settled in to a new city with her new first job, and she's adjusting to not being a poor college student, so for right now I'm letting her pay me so I can make sure she actually has the funds in her account and her rent check doesn't bounce or something. She assures me she has enough but I guess I'm just being overly cautious because I remember being poor and right out of college and trying to establish myself financially, and I don't mind not taking her money right away while she gets her first few paychecks from her job.

I'm a YNAB4 user in a similar situation with a roommate. I budget only my portion, and enter my roommate's portion directly into the affected categories when received, rather than income. (So for example, I pay the full amount for rent, which will take that category negative- and when I get a check from the roommate, I enter it as a positive flow for rent, rather than as income, to bring the category to a zero balance).

For me, this does two things- allows me to keep my income true to what I'm actually making, and also makes sure I don't forget to collect owed money from my roommate. I know nYNAB would freak out about this method, though.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

thegreatcodfish posted:

nYNAB doesn't freak out doing it this way, it's how I handle reimbursements from work. You can put income straight into a category just as you could in YNAB 4.

Right, but I thought the big thing with nYNAB was not allowing negative category roll-over? I suppose if it was all in the same calendar month it wouldn't make a difference either way. (I've never used nYNAB, though.)

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Combat Pretzel posted:

YNAB is making a fuzz about a big announcement tomorrow. Based on the wording of that related blog entry, people are expecting a buyout.

https://www.youneedabudget.com/the-ynab-origin-story/

(Maybe also just that stupid new mobile app.)

I sure hope it's not something that's going to gently caress over those of us still on YNAB 4.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Teeter posted:

I decided to give this a shot and the answer is that it's very much a manual effort.

The upgrade from 4 to nYNAB really bungled things up and my resulting budget was -$5000 with all sorts of things thrown out of wack from how recurring transactions and future allotments now work. I had to do a fresh start but I have 25 active accounts so that's kind of an ordeal. Connecting accounts and importing is simple enough but it doesn't do previous transactions so I have no payment history and can't do a direct comparison of YNAB4 vs nYNAB. In the end, all I'm able to do is poke around on the surface and see how the interface works but I really need more data to determine how it compares to YNAB4.

+ Web interface is great for me personally as I spend a lot of time on a work laptop that can't install YNAB4 desktop version.
+ Mobile app 2.0 is wonderful as well.
+ I love the addition of Goals and more interactive elements.
+ I think I like auto-import. I've been a proponent of manually entering transactions but I'm almost 100% rule 4 now so it's easier to get away with overseeing everything rather than being directly hands-on.
- Red arrow right. I've read all about how people miss it and I'm no different. I have many reimbursements that I don't like affecting my budget in the way that nYNAB does.

I suppose I can run both versions in parallel for a bit to give it a chance but at the moment I'm leaning toward the status quo. It's still great software that I would recommend people start using, but considering I paid in full a few years ago and can continue using YNAB4 for $0/mo I just don't think it can be justified. If it ain't broke...

Your feedback is similar to others I've read and is why I'm staying on YNAB4 until they take Support away for it.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

TheCenturion posted:

It gives flexibility on how you want to handle things. The usual example is reimbursed business expenses.

Yup. For example, I'm waiting on a $900 reimbursement check right now. If I don't get it until September starts, that negative balance just stays in that category and doesn't affect the overall budget.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Chaotic Flame posted:

I'll just use YNAB4 until it breaks for good and hope someone can keep it going after that.

Yup, me too.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Wait, they raised their prices? :lol:

I am going to be so loving sad when a Dropbox API change fucks YNAB4 for good.

Me too. Apart from iPhone X support and being able to adjust budget from mobile (which they've already said they won't add to YNAB 4) it does everything I need.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

spincube posted:

IIRC, you can copy the serial number of your copy from the About screen (found from the help menu). You can then download the 'classic' YNAB4 installer - buried in a Google search, I think, but still online - and use your Steam copy's key to activate it.

I think this is right- this sounds like what I did years ago and was happy to find I could because I don't use Steam for anything else.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

Defenestration posted:

Yeah but his wife isn't doing it in a timely fashion so that cramps the style

I use 4 and manually reconcile once a week. I remember to put maybe 25% of transactions but I always do the cash ones

This is pretty much me, I always do cash so I don't forget but if I don't immediately do a receipt or two it snowballs until the weekend when I fix it then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

(Wilma Rudolph)

One of my wife's accounts (BBVA Compass), her checking account is doing some funky poo poo on auto-import.

1. She'll make a purchase (say $10), it'll show up (-$10) when it clears.
2. But then there's a second purchase for the same thing, another -$10.
3. Then there's a third transaction that is for +$10, with the memo "[cancel transaction]."

So at the end of the day, the net result is the same, but for every legitimate transaction, there's 3x the amount of poo poo that shows up and it's super loving annoying. If I delete transactions 2 & 3, they just show up again the next morning when it auto-imports again.

I ended up turning off auto-import and am making her do it manually.

See, this kind of crap is why I haven't switched off of YNAB4 (and don't intend to). This would drive me insane.