Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

This year I'm making my goal 100 books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

Time for my first update. Most of these are copy/pasted from my goodreads reviews. Like last year I'll be counting books that didn't pass my hundred page test as 1/2. This year I'm only counting a graphic novel as 1/2 if it's part of an ongoing series. If it stands alone it counts as an entire book.

1) The Voyages of Doctor Dolittle by Hugh Lofting
I read this as part of a friend and I's project to read all of the Newbery award winners for a podcast series. It won the second Newbery medal in 1923 and is the first one that I would consider recommending for kids. This was the first time I've read the book, being familiar with the character only from the 1950's Disney movie. Well, and the remake, but the only thing the remake shares with the book is a doctor that talks to animals.
I honestly think the best way to describe The Voyages of Dr. Dolittle is "whimsical." It's broken up into six parts. Each is for the most part a self contained story on its own, but they do flow from one to another to form a cohesive narrative. There were a few places where the pacing was a little off, but it was minor.
Now to the elephant in the room. Yes, this book was written in the 1920's, and yes, there is the expected casual racism that pervaded everything of the time. The edition that I read was the post-1988 version that removed a fair bit of the offensive material, but as a white guy I can't really be the judge that says "Nope, not offensive any more."
2) X-Men: Season One by Dennis Hopeless, Jamie McKelvie (Illustrator)
This is a modern retelling of the origin of the x-men from Jean Grey's point of view. I enjoyed it a lot. Fantastic visuals combined with Dennis' fantastic dialogue.
3) The Dark Frigate by Charles Boardman Hawes
1924 Newbery Winner.
I actually liked this one for the most part. It's a little slow to start, which I think could turn modern kids off of the book, (seriously, it took 70 bages just to get to sailing, and another 20-ish for the pirates to show up) but for a book aimed at kids/young adults it offers a somewhat unflinching look at pirates. Turns out most of them aren't good people. I will also say that this is going to test any young person's reading skills, as it uses some obscure terms for things and doesn't bother to stop and explain them.
There is a bit of the casual racism (referring to the Native Americans as savages for example), but it's a book set on a 17th century sailing vessel, and most of it comes from the designated bad guy.
4) The Answer! by Mike Norton, Dennis Hopeless, Mark Englert (Illustrator)
Fun, excitement, adventure, a genius librarian, and a superhero with death issues. I really enjoyed this one. My only real problem is that it sort of/sort of doesn't end on a cliffhanger.
5) Saucer by Stephen Coonts
So this isn't completely terrible. It has wooden characters, awful dialogue, and is pretty contrived in a lot of places, but the plot is kinda' fun.
6) Tales From Silver Lands by Charles J. Finger
Newbery winner 1925. This is the first one I'd have no real issues handing to a kid to read.
It's a collection of folk tales from Central and South America. There are a couple of "origin of" tales, like the story of how some animals came to have the tails that they have, but most are of the fable variety. I didn't notice any serious vocab, so they should all be an easy read for most kids. Only two of the stories are connected to each other so it would be a good book for a child that likes to read in short bursts.
The copy I was reading from, the 1965 reprint, came with the original illustrations and I though most of them were pretty neat. They have a unique green/orange color palette and really evoke some of the scenes in the book, though the one my friend and I got a good laugh at was what we referred to as the "smug llama."
7) Cicero: The Life and Times of Rome's Greatest Politician by Anthony Everitt
A dense but fantastic read. I regret taking as long as I did to finish it. The author manages a compelling biography of Cicero, while making sure to give the proper historical context for everything. I would recommend this for anyone interested in Cicero or the Roman Republic.
8) Shen Of The Sea: Chinese Stories for Children by Arthur Bowie Chrisman
I really should put the word Chinese in the title in quotes. 1926 Newbery winner. This is one of those books where you have to be reminded of the era in which it was written, because while it is not badly written, it's still a mostly offensive product of its time. So far as I can tell from a little bit of research on the book the author was not in any way an expert on Chinese culture and appears to have completely made up the stories. This could be fine in the hands of someone who knew what they were writing about, but the book reads like the author's entire understanding of Chinese culture came from turn of the century pulp novels and fortune cookies.
As far as the content of the stories they're a lot of "origin of x" stories written in an easy to read style. If I didn't feel bad about the cultural appropriation I could potentially suggest it as something a child might enjoy reading.

That brings my running total to 8/100.

According to goodreads I'm a little ahead of where I need to be so I'm going to start in on some of the sci-fi/fantasy garbage I love to read. If the Newbery reviews appear different it's because I'm trying to put at least a little more effort into them. The friend I'm working on the project with is a librarian.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 09:44 on Jan 22, 2014

8one6
May 20, 2012

Another quick update:
9) The Sword and the Chain (Guardians of the Flame #2) by Joel Rosenberg
I liked it. I was better paced than the first in the series and the author did a better job with the characterization of the protagonists.
The heroes take up the task they were charged with at the end of the first book: ending slavery across the fantasy world, and they hit upon a clever way to do it, making it economically unfeasible to afford slaves. Of course, that's background detail to the book's adventure, which is about getting all up in some slaver's grills, returning a slave to her homeland, and for the protagonists to come to terms with the life they'll have to lead to make everything work.
I would definitely recommend both this and the first book in the series.

10) A Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur's Court by Mark Twain
It's rare for me to reread something, but I found an unabridged copy so I decided to give it another read. I still like it.

11) Zero Point by Richard Baker
This was a fun read. It's tie-in fiction for the Star*Drive RPG setting. I'm only vaguely familiar with the setting and I still found it enjoyable. The author does a good job of giving you enough info so you don't feel lost, and most of it didn't feel like it was info-dumping. It has a very "how convenient" twist at the beginning to jump-start a major section of the plot, but I've read a lot worse in my time, and it's pretty standard in the genre anyway.
If you're looking for a light sci-fi read with action, alien mysteries, a gratuitous love scene, and cyborg laser fights you could do worse than giving this a read

12) Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle, Xan Fielding (Translator)
I have a bit of a confession to make: I feel that the 1968 movie handles this material, especially the "shocking climax" as the back cover puts it, far better. Even if you ignore 40 years of cultural osmosis the author tips his hand about the nature of the twist twice in the first 15 pages.
It was interesting to finally read the source material of a true classic of sci-fi.

13) The Sandman, Vol. 8: World's End by Neil Gaiman
14) The Sandman, Vol. 9: The Kindly Ones by Neil Gaiman
15) The Sandman, Vol. 10: The Wake by Neil Gaiman
I enjoyed the Sandman series quite a bit.

That brings my running total to 15/100

8one6
May 20, 2012

Tiggum posted:

I read this a while ago and hated it. Right off the bat, this guy who was suddenly and unexpectedly thrown back in time knew what day a solar eclipse was going to happen. He also knows how to construct power plants, telephones, explosives, guns etc. with only the resources of a medieval kingdom to help him. All that would have been irritating, but what really pushes it over the edge is the protagonist's apparent belief that 19th century America is the apex of all civilisation. Knights are made to be nicer and less destructive by learning to play baseball. People are cured of superstition by learning to talk like Americans, etc. It's incredibly obnoxious.

It is obnoxious, (I just so happen to have memorized the exact date and time of every solar and lunar eclipse in the past 1500 years.) I have a soft spot for it because it was the first things by Twain that I ever read as a kid and it's one of the earliest works of time travel fiction.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Stravinsky posted:

So what's the point of counting comics as part of your reading challenge log?...

Comics/graphic novels are just as valid a written medium as a novel. I don't personally count individual issues, but entire story arcs in trade paperback or stand alone graphic novels like Watchmen are easily as substantial as any other work.

8one6
May 20, 2012

I just want to repeat a standing offer I made a while ago on goodreads and twitter. More often than not when I'm done with a book I trade it in for credit at Half Priced Books, but if you see me review something and you want to read it just send me a PM and I'll mail you the book, as I'd rather see them go to someone who wants to read them. There are books that I do keep, but it's rare.

Now with that, a tie-in laden update dedicated to Stravinsky:

16) Return from the Dead (Starship Orpheus #1) by Symon Jade
I wasn't expecting to determine my "Worst Book Read" award for 2014 in January, but wow is this bad. Terrible dialogue, horrible world building, a Mary Sue protagonist of the worst sort, and throughout the entire thing you get the feeling that it was written for some middle school class assignment.

17) That Which Divides (Star Trek) by Dayton Ward
This was a fun read. It's a sequel of sorts to an old TOS episode, but it stands on its own. The author keeps the pace brisk and it felt like a proper episode of the series.

18) Red Sails in the Fallout (Gamma World) by Paul Kidd
I have to say I enjoyed the hell out of this, and it's not just because it's tie-in fiction of a game setting I really enjoy. Paul Kidd has a way of taking absurd character concepts and really making them shine. The main characters are a precognitive quoll, a chainsaw wielding lab-rat, and a sapient swarm of earwigs, and the author does a fantastic job of making them distinct from one another and making you care about their adventures.

I would recommend this for fans of fantastic, sci-fi, gonzo post-apoc settings, and anyone who enjoys a fun read!

19) Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
I know I'm going to catch poo poo for it, but I honestly did not like this book.
It's repetitive and disjointed, and I know that's the point, but for someone like me who reads for pleasure it made it impossible to enjoy. I'm going to assume the fault lies with me and not the book. I've never served in the armed forces, so I've never been exposed to the military bureaucracy that the book exists to make fun of.

20) Halo: The Flood (Halo #2) by William C. Dietz
As far as novelizations of video games go this isn't very good. It tries to follow a half dozen different characters, but if you're reading it you really only care about Master Chief. It's written in a generic military fiction style, and I kept getting the impression that the author was angry that he had to write in the setting, with things like complaining about ship features and a weird dressing down that Master Chief gets from the marine commander. This was a slog to get through from page one.
What is especially disappointing about this one is the previous book in the series, The Fall of Reach, was actually well written and fun to read. In the end if you're interested in the Halo universe, read Fall of Reach, then play the video games, and give this book a pass.

21) Kingdom Come by Mark Waid, Alex Ross (Illustrator)
I read this on the recommendation of a friend, and I really enjoyed it.

That brings my running total to 21/100. There's a good chance that I may be increasing my goal at some point.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Stravinsky posted:

I went on google and searched that book and well..... look at the second result: https://www.google.com/search?q=pre...:en-US:official

“Red Sails in the Fallout” is not just anthropomorphic, it is flamboyantly and bizarrely Furry.

Seeing has how half the results on the game's random char-gen chart are some form of post-apoc mutant animal (seriously, one game I played we had wheeled rat swarm, a half-rock cockroach, and a "time hawk") it didn't really bother me.

But hey, if you want to be the arbiter of what people can and cannot read you can go through my goodreads "to read" shelf and let me know what is and isn't ok for me to read.

8one6
May 20, 2012

AllanGordon posted:

I guess I wouldn't understand though I don't read for pleasure. lol

I've never made a secret of my terrible taste.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Disco Pope posted:

It's interesting to read about someone else struggling with Catch 22. I've had a crack at it a couple of times and it's never gelled with me, perhaps because I'm reading it from the perspective of someone who has experienced other works heavily influenced by it over the years.

I had more luck with Something Happened by Heller, but I wasn't at my most mentally healthy when reading it and had to quit for my own sake. That book is rough going.

I'm going to take Stravinsky's advice and try to tackle it again later in the year. A lot of people have said a lot of good things about the book and part of my reason for reading it in the first place was to try and get something out of it.

8one6
May 20, 2012

It's that time again folks, where people get to feel superior to me because I read genre trash!

22) The Buried Pyramid by Jane Lindskold
In my defense I didn't realize this was YA until I started reading it.
It's long, but at least it's also boring.
It's overly descriptive of even the most minute, trivial detail, the characters are flat, and the author somehow found a way to rob the setting of any of the excitement you'd expect. Even the "surprise, it is a fantasy book after all" twist 3/4 of the way through was dull. The trip through the Egyptian underworld was handled better in one of the officially published garbage Stargate fanfics that Fandemonium printed.

23) 1984 by George Orwell
A rather chilling work. There's not really a lot more that I can say about it that hasn't already been said far better than I could ever put it.

24) Baldur's Gate by Philip Athans (didn't finish, counts as 1/2)
Holy poo poo is this terrible, and not in the fun "let's make fun of how bad it is" way, but the "this is crap and I want an apology from the author" sort of way.

Look, I don't expect much from a novelization of a video game, but this fails to meet even my low standards of an enjoyable read. The characterization is crap and the author fails to make good use of the material he was given to work with.

25) The Count of Monte Cristo by Alexandre Dumas
I have two things to say about this book: It is, in my opinion, a fantastic work of fiction that everyone should read, and it is entirely too long.

If you had asked me my opinion of the book before page 550 or so I would have said that it was a slog with far too many page wasting asides. (Did we really need Vampa's entire life story, or for the person telling that tale to stop in the middle of Vampa's life story to tell the tail of another, separate bandit chief?) The book started to pick up at around page 550, and the next 350 or so pages rapidly changed my opinion of the book as all of the Count's plans and plots started coming together.

I read the 894 page Wordsworth Editions printing, based on the 1845 translation that apparently everyone except Penguin Books uses.

That brings my running total to 24.5/120. I'm also upping my goal for the year to 120.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Time for a terrible book update!

26) Ship of the Line (ST: TNG) by Diane Carey
In the TNG episode "Cause and Effect" the Enterprise barely avoids a catastrophic impact with the USS Bozeman, commanded by Captain Bateson (as played by Kelsey Grammer.) In "Ship of the Line" Diane Carey follows up on that brief cameo with a novel length Down Periscope/Next-Gen crossover staring Captain Bateson (as played by Lt. Cmdr. Thomas 'Tom' Dodge (as played by Kelsey Grammer.)) Only it's not nearly as fun as that description implies.
He's a captain who drinks rum on the bridge, argues with people, and would probably smoke cigars if the author thought she could get sneak it in among all the love for the coast guard she's worked into the story.
The dialogue feels, at its best, off, and at its worst the characterizations feel completely weird. There's a part where Picard is feeling mopey because of the loss of the Ent-D and Riker gets him to man up for his *big secret mission* by watching a couple of episodes of the Original Series on the holodeck. This does the trick and he's ready to face the b-plot of revisiting the TNG episode where he was tortured. I would call it inconsequential but the A-plot is no better, with an ancient Klingon out for revenge against Bateson.

Even on the scale of Star Trek tie-in fiction this is a piece of crap.

27) Storm Front (The Dresden Files #1) by Jim Butcher
The action scenes were fun, it was decently paced, and there was enough detail there to show the author cared about how the setting worked without bogging you down in minutia. I have a few complaints, but nothing serious, and really nothing I wouldn't expect from a detective story anyway. I'm told (by pretty much everyone) that these get better as they go along.

28) Runes of Autumn by Larry Elmore, Robert Elmore
Generic 80's fantasy, mixed with a boring writing style, and sprinkled with just enough AD&D that you don't forget that TSR published it. Larry Elmore is a fine artist (the only real highlight of the book are his illustrations) but is at best a mediocre and forgettable writer.

29) American Werechaun in Dublin by Andy Click, Sue London
It's a quick read with some good characters, a humorous premise, a bit of action, and a fun story! The story keeps up a brisk flow, and the first person perspective did a lot to get me into the novel's setting. It's a light, humorous take on urban fantasy and I enjoyed it.

30) Polarity by Susan Meraki
I got this one for free from a goodreads giveaway.
The story has an interesting premise, a secret war between two nearly omniscient forces, with a main character caught in the middle, and the execution is, for the most part, enjoyable. I do have a few issues with the book. The writing gets expository a bit too often, the main character is incredibly saccharine, and the dialogue is awkward. It's the author's first book, and it feels like it.

That brings my running total to 29.5/120.

8one6 fucked around with this message at 05:35 on Mar 18, 2014

8one6
May 20, 2012

Stravinsky posted:

And you did so well last time to balance out your genre fiction with stuff like 1984 and The Count. I hope you return to doing that.

I am, I just ended up with a free book from a goodreads giveaway and it's my fault (sort of) that were-leprechaun book even exsists so I read that as soon as it came out. I've got a Tale of Two Cities in the bag I bring to work and I picked up copies of Moby Dick and Dorian Grey the other day.

Doesn't mean I'm going to stop reading genre trash, but you've honestly gotten me to make an effort to class it up just a bit.

8one6
May 20, 2012

screenwritersblues posted:

Also, is everyone just doing a random pick for what they're reading or do some of you plan it out. I just planned my reading for the rest of the year because I had so much to read and feel like this method might be the best for me. Am I the only one or are there others like me?

My friends and I make weekly trips to the various used book stores around KC, and I usually end up with 3-4 I plan on reading/caught my fancy/"it's just a dollar." I'm friends with the owner of the FLGS so I'm able to get the Diamond shipping boxes he's otherwise going to recycle, so my house doesn't look quite like an episode of hoarders. Yet.

I'm working my way through the backlog one box at a time, with the exception tat every 2-3 books I'm grabbing one of the classics I bought to read from the classics box.

8one6
May 20, 2012

31) Master of the Five Magics by Lyndon Hardy
A bland tale more concerned with establishing (at length) the rules of not one, but five separate magic systems than with fleshing out characters or strengthening the plot.

32) The Pride of Chanur by C.J. Cherryh
An immensely enjoyable story that does a pretty good job of making the aliens non-human, the action tense and exciting, and the inter-species conflicts interesting. The twist of the human character being less of a character and more of a plot device was neat.

33) A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
It was good to finally sit down and read it. I'll also say that the Wordsworth Editions printing has crap footnotes, just like Monte Cristo. I'm regretting buying all of them all at once.

34) Ghostbusters: Total Containment by Erik Burnham, Dan Schoening (Ongoing comic, counts as 1/2)
Yes, yes, it's a comic collection. Yes, yes, I know...
I loved this! Erik Burnham has a great grasp on the characters, and Dan Schoening's art is FANTASTIC! The stories were fun, the ghosts strike a great balance between scary and humorous, and the dialogue really feels like the movies. As far as the art is concerned Dan Schoening's style perfectly captures all of the characters. The action scenes are dynamic, and he packs them with little nods and easter eggs to find.
(This hardcover contains the first four TPBs.)

That brings my running total to 33/120.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Look, if you want something legitimate to complain about I just finished a book by Gary Gygax on how to be a "Master role-player."
It was as bad as it sounds.

35) A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire #1) by George R.R. Martin
It's the first time I've actually cared about political intrigue in a fantasy work, and I think GRRM did a great job with the characterization in the novel. I'm going to have to watch the show now to see how it compares.

36) Yi Soon Shin: Warrior and Defender by Onrie Kompan (graphic novel, counts as 1/2)
I picked this one up at a local comic convention because the author had a decent pitch. It wasn't as good as the pitch. It has really weak dialogue and art that only really shines on the full page spreads. It did however convince me that I should find an actual book on Yi Soon Shin, so if anyone has some recommendations on that front I'd love to hear them!

37) The Picture of Dorian Gray by Oscar Wilde
I'm trying, I really am, but I just didn't enjoy this one. I didn't like the overly melodramatic dialogue, and I'm not a fan of Gothic horror.

38) Role-Playing Mastery by Gary Gygax
It's an interesting in the way that a 1920's telephone operator's manual would be interesting to a collector of telephone memorabilia. If you're not into rpgs you will have zero interest in it, and if you are into rpgs then it's a curious relic of a bygon age. It's got a lot of advice for becoming a better roleplayer or GM (some of which is good, a lot of which is really groggy). It also has sections on Gary's game design advice, circa 1987. Gary uses a professorial tone with the book. It's like reading a lecture on roleplaying.

That brings my running total to 36.5/120.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Roydrowsy posted:

I am curious,
when other people come across a book they can't force themselves to finish, do you record it? Does it count if you only really read half of it? I can see it both ways.

Personally, sometimes it just isn't the right time for a book. If I believe I will come back to it at a later date, I won't record it. If I decide to walk away but I know that I have no interest in coming back to it, I'll just record it in my log - but i also attempt to give it a fair review.

If I abandon a book intending to pick it back up later I don't count it, but if it's a book that I don't plan to come back to I've been counting them as 1/2.

8one6
May 20, 2012

39) The Mammoth Book of Time Travel SF Mike Ashley (Editor)
The editor did a excelent job of putting together a fantastic collection of short stories with a wide variety of styles. If you want to see some one sentence reviews of each story you can read them on my goodreads review.

40) The Metamorphosis and Other Stories by Franz Kafka
I'm glad to have finally read The Metamorphosis. It was odd, and Gregor's fate was depressing, but I guess that was one of the points Kafka was trying to make with the story.
As to the other stories in the collection, the only one I really enjoyed was "A Report to an Academy", and it's mostly because it isn't completely dreary like In the Penal Colony, doesn't read like a fever dream like "A Country Doctor", and didn't leave me completely clueless as to the point like "The Judgement."
This collection used new translations by Stanley Appelbaum, into "idiomatic, modern American English", and they work well to make the text accessible.

41) Indiana Jones and the Unicorn's Legacy by Rob MacGregor
This was terrible. Bad pacing, awkward dialogue and infodumps, lackluster action, and a completely uninteresting plot.
I learned my lesson with the SG-1 novels, I'll not be picking up any more in this series.

42) [redacted] [counts as 1/2]

43) Sundiver by David Brin
A complicated whodunit where the rules are never clearly defined, mired by the 1980's fascination with psychic crap and self-hypnosis, and further complicated by a political intrigue that only served to slow down the plot.

44) The Long Dark Tea-Time of the Soul by Douglas Adams
It was alright. I didn't think it was as consistently funny as the first one, but there were a few times it really made me laugh. I still love the way Adams can paint a scene.
My biggest issue with this is you could have removed Dirk from the story and lost nothing.

45) [redacted] [counts as 1/2]

46) Enterprise by Vonda N. McIntyre
Started out slow, then it got stupid, then it remained stupid for the rest of the novel. The vaudeville act was reminiscent of one of the more awful TOS episodes, the author went way overboard on Scotty's accent, and I never cared at all about the boring "out for revenge" Klingon that every Trek author ever uses in their stories.
I'd swear off Trek tie-in stuff, but we all know that it'd just be a lie.

47) The Tides of Time by John Brunner
An interesting story following two lovers through time. It starts out a little confusing, becomes interesting, and ends a little heavy handed. It reads more like a collection of short stories with the same main characters, and I feel that the end, which is mostly dialogue, drags the whole thing down a bit as everything gets explained.

48) Chanur's Venture by C.J. Cherryh
Alien espionage and politics from the POV of the hoh-human captain caught in the middle. Again I love that the sole human character is more of a plot device and the the author gives a great look at a non-human universe.

49) The Kif Strike Back by C.J. Cherryh
After Chanur's Venture this really feels like wheel-spinning.

50) Evil Genius by Catherine Jinks
This was alright. I have a couple of complaints about the main character (who is pretty unlikable in the first half of the book) and the setting (anyone who tells you the school isn't just "Evil Hogwarts" is lying to you), but it turned around into a decent read somewhere around page 260 or so.

That brings my running total to 47.5/120.

Right now I'm reading All Quiet on the Western Front, and Moby Dick should also be in the next group I post.

8one6
May 20, 2012

CestMoi posted:

I don't care about the things you read as part of your reading challenge, but lol.

Mr. Squishy posted:

He's reading samizdat and doesn't want to get the author into hot water.

DannyTanner posted:

Why does each count as 1/2? Was the other half of the document burned?

Just trying to avoid a 4 page derail on how I'm a terrible person and might as well be reading the back of cereal boxes.

8one6
May 20, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

Well, now I'm imagining the worst, like a book of Zelda concept art or summat.

Almost as bad, The hardcover collections of the Avatar:TLA comics. In my defense they do feature creator commentary throughout.

8one6
May 20, 2012

51) The Butcher of Khardov by Dan Wells
Picked this one up because I'm interested in the setting and it was Hugo-nominated. I liked it. It's the tale of how the character from the game came to be the monster he is. Its solid characterization and the author's use of non-linear storytelling managed to keep it interesting throughout.

52) All Quiet on the Western Front by Erich Maria Remarque
I thought it was a powerful work, but nothing I write here would really do this book justice.

53) Chekov's Enterprise: A Personal Journal of the Making of Star Trek, the Motion Picture by Walter Koenig
Look at that, I managed to find a Star Trek book that was non-fiction.
This was an enjoyable and insightful look into the production of the first Trek movie from Koenig's unique point of view. The day to day journal entries are often funny in their descriptions of the goings on of Soundstage 9.

54) Suffering Succotash: A Picky Eater's Quest to Understand Why We Hate the Foods We Hate by Stephanie V.W. Lucianovic
The first half of this book is really interesting. The author contacted a lot of specialists to understand the science behind why we like (and don't like) the things we eat (and don't eat.) It's informative and the author's style is light and often funny. The back half of the book dragged a bit once it moved from the science part into the personal blog part.

55) ReVisions by Julie E. Czerneda (Editor/Contributor)
I've always been a big fan of "What if?" stories, and the editor has assembled a great collection here.

That brings my running total to 52.5/100.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

thespaceinvader posted:

47: The Forge of God by Greg Bear. Love humble bundle ebooks generally. I enjoyed this, but it felt a bit... slow. It was much more of a character study book than I'm used to reading, and i kept just... wanting something more to happen. It felt a little dull. Might pick up the next one, not sure.

The only Greg Bear I've read was the novel Eon and it's prequel, and those were definitely on the slower side of things (especially the prequel).

• Locked thread