Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
I have and can vouch for the MOTU Ultralite Mk3:

It might be a bit more expensive than an M-Audio but it's got a great deal of inserts/outputs, 2 preamp inserts, and is very flexible for most all recording situations. I wish it were expandable like some of MOTUs other recording interfaces but with a mixer and patchbay in my setup I think I can get all I require out of the 8 ins and outs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Wow I just realized why my MOTU (and probably some higher end brands) sport 2x Firewire ports. At least with the MOTU Ultralite, I believe you can daisy chain 2 interfaces together via FW and use the extra connection to hook everything to your Mac. I assume both interfaces will appear as different devices on the computer, but hell that is an awesome way to get 16 In (4x preamps) 16 Out in a 1U rackspace (more In/Outs than the MOTU 828 series provides).

I don't have the money at the moment but I am completely intending to buy another Ultralite just to try this out.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 07:22 on Jan 27, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Has anyone ever experienced a lot of digital noise on their MOTU Ultralite? It only seems to happen to me when using the Main outputs, none of the inputs or other outputs seem to give me this issue. I basically use the main outputs as a monitoring signal which gets sent to the tape inputs on my mixer. The noise seems to only happen when there is audio playing or when I have input monitoring turn on in my DAW (Ableton). The mixer isn't the issue since I can plug my headphones into the Phones jack on the MOTU, set the phones output to be Main 1-2, and still hear the noise. It hasn't affected my recording at all since the noise only happens on the main output (and I'm recording into the DAW, not out on the MOTU) but I'll be damned if it isn't loving annoying.

EDIT: I've got it plugged to the computer using Firewire, having the optional DC power supply plugged in doesn't seem to make a difference

EDIT 2: I tested using just USB instead of Firewire. There was significantly less noise but still a little click here and there (it could have been my recorded audio too or something to do with Ableton's Complex algorithm). I decided to try updating the firmware on the MOTU (I had 1.02, the latest is 1.06). After updating the firmware I do not here any noise on either Firewire or USB. I'll keep my ears open for any other noise issues but updating the firmware seems to have done the trick.

Dotcom Jillionaire fucked around with this message at 18:30 on Jul 31, 2014

Dotcom Jillionaire
Jul 19, 2006

Social distortion
Currently I've got a MOTU Ultralite and it suits me well. It's small, it's got a lot of input/output, it has Firewire and USB, I've gotten used to Cuemix, the MOTU suits me well.

My recording chain has always felt a little dull so I've been looking to build up a bigger collection of outboard gear, get a nice-ish compressor, maybe some DA/AD stuff, tube preamp possibly. It'll cost a few bucks but I think it would be nice to have some of these options when bringing drums and synths into the computer as well as for mastering.

Anyhow, I've got an offer to trade some things for a UA Apollo interface (the older silver one, Firewire version I think) and the Apollo is definitely something I've looked at in the past and have thought would be great to have if I could ever afford it. People jizz over the UA plugins and how great they are, I've got no first hand experience of course, but getting the Apollo would add some of the improvements I've been looking to get in my recording chain without taking up too much extra space on a rack.

I'm assuming the lifecycle of the UA Apollo is long, the new blackface versions just seem to have more processing power and Thunderbolt ports. The Apollo seems to be more about "platform" rather than hardware which is nice in terms of making a long term investment.

Will getting the Apollo really replace the need for physical outboard gear for me? I'm just a small home studio and I'm recording synths and guitar and drum machines. I'm sure the comparison between the Apollo and MOTU Ultralite is a "night and day" difference but like I said the MOTU is good enough, adding actual outboard units would cost about as much as if I were to buy the Apollo outright (they go for like $900 these days?).

Just wondering if any Apollo owners can chime in with their feedback.