Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Ok I think maybe my interface is dead or something weird is wrong with it, because I plug it into my computer and windows recognises it, it installs the necessary drivers, and it's listed in device manager. But when I launch the ASIO utility for it, it says there's no devices plugged in, I can't get any audio out of it, and in the sound menu in the control panel it's not listed at all.

Anyone know what the deal is? It's a Focusrite saffire USB 6 that I've had for quite a few years now.

edit: what the gently caress, I plugged the thing into one of my USB 3 ports and now it works. This motherboard must be dodgy.

cat doter fucked around with this message at 06:12 on Jan 13, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cat doter
Jul 27, 2006

gonna need more cheese...australia has a lot of crackers
Has anyone had to repair one of their interfaces? My saffire 6 USB interface is old as heck and pretty beat up (it's portable after all) and for some reason I was getting no sound out of the headphone port, and I noticed something super weird in that if I put pressure on the headphone dial I could hear a mono signal coming out of both headphone speakers. Weird, right? So I open it up to have a look and I see this bullshit:

That's the back of the headphone port, you'll notice that the copper back there has somehow come out of the enclosure, probably wear and tear from constant unplugging and plugging poo poo in. There's also supposed to be a plastic tab on the back of it but it's come off and it's rattling around inside.

So I tried taking off the front panel so I can get to the port properly and try to repair it, but the dials stop me from taking it off and it looks like I can't just pull the dials off. I'm out of ideas and I can't seem to find repair guides or anything.

edit: This is so goddamn weird, I saw that the headphone port is actually entirely detached from the unit itself so I could just unscrew the little board and pull it out. So yeah, the headphone port is banged up to hell, the plastic enclosure thing is cracked and the copper part that connects with the headphone jack is all bent and poo poo.

But for some reason, that's not the root of the issue. I can get the headphone jack connected properly but for some reason it keeps trying to play a mono signal out through both speakers, so either the right channel is playing through both and I can't hear the left channel, or vice versa, or I can hear both channels coming through both speakers at the same time which sounds weird as gently caress.

What channels I hear is based on the volume knob, it'll crackle and cut out when I rotate it and I can get the audio to cut back in and out by putting pressure on it. What the gently caress? I can see why having a faulty volume knob might cause issues but why is it trying to play the left and right channels through both speakers simultaneously?

cat doter fucked around with this message at 03:50 on Oct 30, 2015