Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bourbon
Sep 17, 2006

iostream.h posted:

Any opinions? I know at one point that MOTU was supposed to be 'all that' but can someone help me figure out how it stacks up now?

It'll be used on OS X incidentally.
FWIW, I've had a MOTU 8pre for 5.5 years. In OSX it has always worked perfectly. On the Windows side it has been a bit finicky. The whole you-need-a-Texas-Instruments-firewire-chipset thing is true, and it took me 3 different FW cards to find one that really works well. In Windows it also occasionally doesn't initialize into "Interface" mode and goes into "Converter" mode, but unplugging the FW cable and plugging it back in will fix it. This has never happened with OSX. Not really sure if this is an 8pre thing or a MOTU thing.

Something that I haven't tried yet is a newer Mac -> Thunderbolt-to-FW800 adapter -> FW800-to-FW400 cable -> MOTU. No idea if that might affect performance, but since Apple doesn't include FW ports anymore, it's something to think about.

I do sometimes wish I had a USB interface.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU