Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not
Up front, my specs:
Windows 10, Reaper
Ryzen 5 2600
16 GB RAM

(SPOILER ALERT FROM THE FUTURE: updated the BIOS. Instant fix.)

Since 2013 I've been using a Presonus Audiobox USB as my interface and had no issues, save for low output level on my desktop monitors. (Headphone monitor levels were decent, but I'd like the option of not using them sometimes.) Bought a Scarlett 2i2 3rd gen recently to see if it would be louder, and it most certainly is, with no noticeable noise.

Unfortunately, it comes with its own issues. Periodically, all audio playback on my computer (in and out the DAW) will suddenly distort heavily, sounding robotic and echoed. Switching the playback device in Windows off and back on the Focusrite driver seems to always fix this, though it can and does happen again and is pretty annoying.

I also get the occasional, consistent clicks and pops while monitoring live performance in my DAW.

Buffer size/sample rate seem to have a marginal effect, if any, on both of these issues. I'm putting the Scarlett through the same workload as I did the 9-year-old Audiobox, and it seems to have a harder time keeping up. Performance at 512/44.1khz is virtually the same as 256/192khz. Slightly less popping. I could live with 512/44.1 latency if it could just stop popping. (But the spontaneous hell-distortion is inevitable and unacceptable.)

I would think a spiffy new interface could handle the same workload as an old obsolete one, but I'm also hopelessly casual. Any other obvious troubleshooting I should do before I hit up Focusrite customer service/return the thing? Outlook seems a little dim, going off how many other Windows folk seem to be suffering from this. (Using the factory USB cable straight into the PC, and firmware is the latest.)

the numa numa song fucked around with this message at 20:40 on Feb 20, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

aunt jenkins posted:

Hmm, I recently upgraded from a Presonus Audiobox to a 2i2 3rd gen and found it to have much better latency performance and certainly no issues like that. Tried other USB ports on the computer? Are you plugging into a USB 3.0 port?

The more tests I run, the more I'm convinced it's nothing to do with latency. For a laugh I switched to 192khz/16 bit buffer, and now I get the occasional audio glitch when playing in my DAW that sounds a lot more like a latency drop. A half-second of noise, not like the clean pops I was previously complaining about. And the ones I'm complaining about occur even in lighter, non-sample-based VSTs. (In fact I'm surprised how few latency-based glitches I'm hitting at this cranked setting. Really would be nice if I could solve this distortion, because the Scarlett appears to be whooping rear end otherwise!)

I also can't seem to provoke the big distortion at this setting, which I would think would be easier if I'm pushing the CPU harder.

Interface is plugged into a 3.0 port. Not the same that the old Presonus was plugged into, because I want to run it permanently out the back instead of having that wire taking up one of my front ports. There are more 3.0 ports in the back I can try, so I'll go for that.

e: Got distortion in a different 3.0 port.

the numa numa song fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Feb 3, 2022

the numa numa song
Oct 3, 2006

Even though
I'm better than you
I am not

chippy posted:

Not sure if this is useful information but seemed vaguely relevant.

Useful at least to know that someone with an older computer is getting good results out of a Scarlett.

Turns out it was a latency issue: specifically, DPC latency. Disabled the AMD SATA controller, which was causing the full-on distortion. There are still pops, and LatencyMon will still pick up some moderate spikes, this time from my nVidia driver. It's also previously suggested it could be a network driver issue, though, so I dunno. nVidia drivers are current. Not sure what else I can do, other than update my BIOS and onboard drivers, which seems to be the average of googled advice. Not sure if updating my BIOS willy nilly is the best idea*, but I'm also not sure if it's the worst.

I wonder if I just shot myself in the foot when I built this computer in 2018, not realizing DPC latency was a thing, and having some part in this rig that's inherently an unfixable bottleneck.

*(Edit from the future: updating my BIOS absolutely fixed it.)

the numa numa song fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Feb 20, 2022