Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

🚣RowboatMan: ❄️Freezing time🕰️ is an old P.I. 🥧trick...

I have a Presonus 2626 Firestudio, which is considered 'legacy' by the company. The last version of OS X that was officially supported by Presonus was 10.7 which is what I'm running Logic under right now. However, I also have another partition just for games that's running 10.10, and my interface is, oddly enough, working just fine there, although I don't have Logic installed on that partition. I also don't need to open up the Universal Control app to use the Firestudio when running 10.10.

I sort of want to update beyond 10.10 on my gaming partition, and maybe beyond 10.7 on my audio partition, but I'm concerned that poo poo will go south. Does anyone here have any experience in using this specific device on the most recent OS's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Hey, anyone have any idea how much I could get for a perfectly working Firestudio 2626? It's 6 years old. I'm only considering selling it because it's just too much for what I need.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

h_double posted:

Not much, honestly. It's discontinued and I don't think the drivers work post Windows 7 or OSX 10.7

Yeah, that's what I thought, though I'm legitimately using it on 10.8 with zero problems. Ah well.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

I think I've asked this before, but figured I'd give it another shot: anyone with a legacy Presonus interface using it with a recent version of OS X that's not supported? My issue is I'm on 10.8, which is the last version before the stopped providing official drivers. I'd love to uograde, because I'm still using Logic 9 (which I love) and want to someday update to Logic X, but THAT requires something past 10.8.

:negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Welp, this is the week where I take my 'Games' partition, and just say 'gently caress it', and update it to the latest OSX version, despite my Firestudio 26/26 not being supported after OS X 10.8 (or is it 10.7?). If everything breaks, the interface will be going up on eBay. If it still handles audio just fine, then I might take the plunge on my audio partition as well (I don't use it for my regular living, so if it's out of commission for a while, it's not THAT big of a deal). (EDIT: If I'm hosed for using my Firestudio, any recommendations on a ~$250-300 Firewire interface? I'll do USB if I have to, but I prefer FW.)

The reason is that I'll see a new plugin, and it requires something like 10.10, or 10.11, which means I'll never be able to use it. I can't upgrade from Logic 9 to X because my OS isn't compatible. It loving sucks, and I wish that Presonus would just put out a patch that guarantees (as much as they can) that their old devices can work on the latest OS, but I guess there has to be a cut-off somewhere.

I'm hopeful, because as far as I can recall, I'm running 10.8 and there are no problems, despite Presonus saying they don't support my device with it. I don't need full, 100% Universal Control compatibility, but if Logic/my OS recognizes the device to begin with, that's all I really want. If I plug my guitar into Line 1, and Logic can record that, and send it out to my main 1-2 output monitors, then hey, I'm fine!

That's all I want, Presonus... that's it :negative:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

VoodooXT posted:

since Firewire is obsolete.

This really kind of sucks and I hate it. I haven't been keeping up with stuff for the past ~7-8 years, what's replacing it?

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fartzone_42069 posted:

My poo poo will quantize fine after I click the notes in, but with Snap to, Snap by, and every other setting, NOTHING makes it snap into 16th notes anymore when clicking in. Just thave to do a measure, Quantize, copy paste as needed, Quantize, measure, Quantize.

Will this help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bVULpDhVgU

At the bottom of the piano roll in Reaper's piano roll editor, you can adjust the grid spacing. I know Logic has a similar function. I realize you're dealing with Cakewalk's stuff, but I do believe you should be able to get what you want done in Reaper. I'm traditionally a Logic user, but I have to admit that I've fallen in love with Reaper strictly on its customization and flexibility.

EDIT: Oh, drat, I just realized this was the Audio Interface thread, and not the Home Recording one. Ah well. :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Uncle Kitchener posted:

Honestly, I'd suggest going for a DAW like Cubase or Ableton with a started package and just jump right into it. Everything else including interface and syncing with DAW and your instruments come afterwards. They had simpler versions of their interfaces if you just want to do your drum samples, make it a loop and do whatever to compliment it.

Also, you can choose the Mac or Win versions of your download when you purchase. Couple of cheap keys out there on Ebay too. Most MIDI-friendly Drum sets sync well with these.

Seeing as though you're already using GarageBand, fartzone, I'd recommend (when you're ready) upgrading to Logic Pro X, which is the 'professional' version of GB. Comes with an insane amount of content, too. Alchemy alone is worth the price.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah I was going to say exactly that. Logic Pro X is insane value for money, and is about as cheap as you can go for a DAW that's considered an industry standard.

Not to mention that it'll open up absolutely every GB project you can throw at it, since they're the same under the hood.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fartzone_42069 posted:

Thanks. I'll definitely look at upgrading down the road. But playing real, acoustic drums to songs friends who are songwriters actually write is what I really do.

That electronic drum set is fully functional, but a cheap portable set. This is basically for fun. I need to get good at the basics of using a Mac. I've got playing drums to either audio or midi with that evil clicky sound (metronome??) down. I need some basic keyboard skills, as well as figure out a way to manually add midi notes to the Score, and generally get used to the Mac OS. I'm a PC/Android guy!!

Also, the electronics in my cheap Ibanez electric guitar are all hosed. And my bass got stolen. Kinda wanna rectify those things. Kind of excited to plug the guitar directly in with the cool sounds. It works, I just have to jiggle the input jack and the toggley switch for the pickups to get sound. Wrong thread though. I'll ask my guitar playing friends if I should buy a new cheapo guitar or get mine fixed!

Thanks for your help all!! :)

One more thing I should mention: it's not a drum kit, but my god, I've gotten an insane amount of mileage out of my Korg Padkontrol. The thing is just so user friendly and awesome. Pair it with a good percussion sampler like Battery, Addictive Drums (what I use), Superior Drummer, etc, and you're all set.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5s6Cwm6Tt4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JnSRWk_o87g

EDIT: Anyway, the best place to discuss all of this, for the sake of keeping the thread on-topic, is here -> https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2292898

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 15:42 on Jan 5, 2018

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

fartzone_42069 posted:

That's all great stuff. Not knocking anyone. But, drums are my art and craft. I'll be damned if I use any kind of drum loops unless I record them myself with my drums, or compose them myself with the MIDI. Sheet music, son! I love that Garage Band was the score.

For what's it's worth, I think the drum samples, loops, and fills and stuff that I've heard with Garage Band and other DAWs sound great, and are an excellent tool to help a non-drummer (real musician) write a song. But I'm the drummer, I do the drumming round here. :)

Oh, I know; the padkontrol isn't a looper or anything, and those plugins I mentioned aren't loops. You're literally playing the MIDI performance into your DAW, exactly like how a keyboardist would use a MIDI keyboard to play a song with a piano plugin. Obviously, for a drummer, it's not nearly the same as using actual MIDI drums, but at least for me, it beats (:smug:) the hell out of penciling in the hits into the piano roll, note by note. To each their own, though, but I absolutely agree with you on drum loops. I write my own, for the most part, unless I'm really pressed for time, and I use the padkontrol to 'play' the performance into the track. :shobon:

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

Oh another fun trick I came up with myself for that track: if you happen to have a car, and have a garage with a door that leads into the house, you already have a kickass iso booth. Run a boom mic through a barely-cracked car window, chuck a pillow or two up on the dash, and you've got something better than just about any other home iso booth you're going to build. It's essentially a ready-made floated room.

I have to agree with this; cars in garages are insanely quiet for recording. It's incredible.

Also, I genuinely miss editing 8+ grouped drum tracks, but I can't disagree that working with MIDI is far easier.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Trig Discipline posted:

I figured I couldn't be the only person who came up with that, but I was drat proud of myself when I did.

I've used it for a few voice overs I've done. I noticed how quiet it was once when I was on my phone before going to work and my low-grade tinnitus became SUPER noticeable. Turns out, when there's just no sound anywhere, something like that is so loud it feels like it's deafening.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Splinter posted:

Is anyone still using a MOTU Ultralite mk3 (the firewire only version, not the firewire/USB hybrid) on a Mac? Any issues trying to use it on El Capitan, Sierra or High Sierra? I've been running on Mavericks for years, but I'm going to have to upgrade to one of those if I want to use Live 10. Looks like the latest drivers for it only list compatibility up to Sierra (10.12).

You're in my situation, except switch out the Ultralite for the Firestudio2626. Stuck on 10.8 because nothing beyond that works :negative:

I just want Logic X.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Ok, so I need some guidance.
A ) does anyone have any experience with the iRig Stomp I/O?

B ) How much do you think I could get for my (in very good condition) Presonus Firestudio2626, given that it's considered 'legacy' by Presonus themselves?

Really gotta update my rig, probably within the next year. The Firestudio2626 is and always has been overkill for my needs, which is a single composer. I bought it when I had pipe dreams of opening up a small studio and potentially recording 8+ tracks of drums at once, but that's never happened and it officially never will. I mainly record guitar and a small, small bit of vocals, as well as audio for sound design/foley purposes, maybe host a local podcast recording session (big maybe) so anything more than, say, 4 inputs is unnecessary. I also do a bunch in amplitube, so I'm familiar with that brand of amp sim the most.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

That's good to hear! I can't wait to give it a try.

On a semi-related note, I'm using Reaper as my DAW. What's the thread's opinion on Reaper for Windows?

As far as I know, we love it (at least I do). It can seem complicated and daunting at first, because you can quite literally accomplish virtually everything that all of the other DAWs do, but it also has a metric poo poo-ton of customizability. For example, you can not only set up your own shortcuts, but also custom actions to occur when pressing those shortcuts, and you can then make a custom button on the custom toolbar (by either choosing pre-made art, or literally designing your own in Paint or Photoshop or Illustrator or whatever) to execute your custom action.

Reaper is very flexible. I have literally only one gripe with it (no 'Bounce on 2nd pass' option to help easily create seamless loops) that can still be accomplished via custom actions.

EDIT: and to clarify, a custom action is anything from one specific function (like Play or Stop), to a series of scripted actions (like select region, copy it, move the copy down to a new track, reverse it, and add reverb, for one crazy example).

EDIT 2: You'll need this for added functionality, but everyone using Reaper should have this.

Rupert Buttermilk fucked around with this message at 18:43 on Oct 16, 2019

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

SwitchbladeKult posted:

That's awesome! I'll stick with it. Any good plugin recommendations?

I'm not near my system right now, but make KVR your new home. They are the be-all, end-all site for all plugin reviews and news (and downloads), but for great deals, definitely become a member of Plugin Boutique

Also, great learning resources are Kenny Gioia (Reaper Mania) and Jon Tidey (The Reaper Blog) on Youtube. Just fantastic stuff, and there are many recommended plugins from them.

The stock Reaper plugins, while ugly, are VERY good once you know how to use them.

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

If you want to do soundscapes/soundtrack work Omnisphere is highly recommended.

This reminds me that Iris 2 is a beautiful, beautiful thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rupert Buttermilk
Apr 15, 2007

Laserjet 4P posted:

It's not Omnisphere (and neither is Alchemy), but yes, there are some great 90s Korg Triton-style pads in there with a bit of work. Getting those really nice airy sounds (wavetables are too clean, analog synths aren't airy enough) can be done well with this.

This is totally something that should be in the synths or VST thread, but I've been making a some vaporwave recently with Iris 2 and it couldn't be more useful. The looping and layering is just so great. :toot: