Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've got a TC Electronic Konnekt 48. I wanted one based on some rave reviews from goons and others. I bought it used from a friend, probably around five years ago. It was rock-solid and it sounded awesome, but in the past year or so I've had some serious issues with it. Its software would hang when I'd launch Ableton, and upon force-quitting/restarting the software it would fail to detect the interface. I would have to quit my DAW and power-cycle the unit to get its proprietary software to even see it again.

Just today I bought a new, old, Mac Pro. First-generation; basically older than the iMac I used for the past five years - but significantly more powerful, and at a steal of a price. I'm hoping that it gives me the motivation I need to keep a clean production machine and begin taking songwriting seriously again. But I'm having even worse issues with the TC. Even with the same version of the TC software and the same OS (10.6.8) I'd been running with the old iMac, it seems to hang even worse. It crashes the computer entirely; the 'curtains' screen appears with a stern warning to restart in four languages. I've tried multiple arrangements of 'turn on computer/turn on interface/plug in interface/connect interface firewire' to no avail; every time the TC is on and connected, the Mac hangs.

I'm guessing this means it's time to retire the Konnekt48? I've already resigned myself to that possibility and started saving some cash for a nice Apollo or something, but I figured I'd post here in case there's some slim chance of rehabilitating my old TC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I'm in the market for a new interface. The Konnekt48 doesn't cause kernel panics anymore (see two posts above) but it still crashes occasionally, and some of the I/O doesn't work so when I begin upgrading the Mac itself I'd like to get a new Firewire (or better?) interface. I mostly work with MIDI and in-the-box stuff - a Virus TI is my workstation; even though I usually use its own USB inputs I'd like enough line ins to connect the TI's analog outs as I understand there's a latency difference. But I would like enough decent-quality pres and converters to eventually record, for example, a drum set (if I ever get mine out of storage).

I've been looking at the UAD Apollo but I feel like it's a bit overkill for my applications. Thoughts?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
After getting some new (and dusting off some old) synths and stuff, I've discovered that my TC Konnekt48 has some dead I/O. She's well old and purchased second-hand so I'm sure there's no warranty. Is this worth taking into a repair place and getting it checked out, or is it time for a new interface?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I think my TC Konnekt48 has poo poo the bed. It powers up but the LED meters don't do anything and there's no throughput, and the TC Near software isn't recognizing it. Is there anything I can do to troubleshoot this? Even though this unit isn't my primary interface anymore, I really like having it around and would be super bummed to have to junk it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Quick S/P-DIF question: I have a FocusRite Scarlett 18i20, and a DJM900 mixer. In an effort to free up the analog inputs on the Scarlett, I've connected the DJM via S/P-DIF. The Scarlett doesn't seem to be hearing the mixer. I'm pretty sure I've done this before successfully, but can't figure out why it's not hearing it today. Any ideas? Thanks for your time.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
I've verified all of that. Trying to switch the sync source to SPDIF doesn't work, it immediate switches back to Internal. I'm seeing on some of the Pioneer forums that this could be an issue with the cable itself - it's a 25ft RG59U cable, is it possible that it's too long?

EDIT: Hmm, odd. Changing the Focusrite's sample rate to 96kHz seems to solve the problem. It's still running Internal sync source but the signal I'm getting from the DJM sounds fairly clean. Should I worry about recording mixes through the Scarlett this way, will there be noticeable jitter or anything if I'm recording for a significant length of time? Thanks again.

EDIT 2: While I'm here, can anyone tell me why increasing the sample rate in my DAW (Ableton) seems to decrease the I/O latency? That seems counter-intuitive to me. I usually keep Ableton running at 44.1kHz but if I can just set-and-forget everything to 96k then I'll do it, but I'm also comfortable switching things around to optimize performance for songwriting/DJ mix recording/etc.

Mister Speaker fucked around with this message at 22:54 on Jan 27, 2019

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Let's talk about I/O expanders/preamps. I've got a Scarlett 18i20 and being that I just bought an MPC2000 with the eight-output card, I'm fresh out of I/O. Can anyone recommend an optical S/P-DIF expander with at least eight ins (and ideally the same number of outs)? I'm not too concerned about having the best mic pres in the world, like I said most of this is going to be hogged by the MPC but something with some grit and character would be nice. Currently I'm looking at the ART TubeOpto but I'm sure there are better modules out there. Thanks!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Thanks guys, I'll check out those options. The OctoPre would probably get along best with my interface. Is the BNC clock connection from interface to converter an absolute necessity?

MrSargent posted:

Everywhere I look, there you are posting more about your new MPC and making me extremely jealous.

If it makes you feel any better, I've still barely touched it. This summer has been so hectic and busy that I haven't had much time or motivation to do anything productive when I sit down in this chair. Soon enough.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
So I'm kind of miffed to discover that this OctoPre I picked up doesn't seem to have ADAT connectivity for its outputs... I guess I got an earlier generation or something but this is what the rear looks like, no 'ADAT IN' to correspond to the ADAT OUT from my Scarlett 18i20. So... what are the eight 1/4" outputs on it for then? Are they just direct outputs to use the unit as a preamp for another converter?

In any case, it's not too critical to have extra outs. I'm happy to have the extra inputs and basically have everything on my desk hard connected now (well, not the multiple outputs on the Virus or Ultranova) so that's good.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
What's the current consensus on 'big knob' volume controls, I mean the kind of device you put in between your interface and your monitoring solution for ease and fine-tuning of listening level, mute/dim etc.? I'm thinking of buying a TC Level Pilot and putting it next to my trackball because reaching over to the interface to adjust listening level sucks rear end, but the TC is a pretty old product and maybe there's something out there that's better and actually does the mute/dim and stuff as well. One of the major things I miss about my old TC Konnekt48 interface (besides the fuckloads of I/O in a 1U rack) was the CAT5 breakout volume control/dimmer.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

muckswirler posted:

What about a Faderport? It's not an inline piece of hardware though if you want switching or something built in.

Not really what I'm looking for, as much as I've wanted a motorized fader for my DAW for a while, I don't think it handles monitoring volume? As you said it's not an inline piece of hardware.

I'm leaning towards getting that TC Level Pilot, as really all I'm looking for is a nice volume control within my immediate reach. Unless there are glaring issues with it causing ground loops or something, I think I'll pull the trigger on it.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Update: I got the Level Pilot X. It's great so far. While some of the photos (maybe of earlier versions) show the breakout XLR cables terminating in a pair of suspect 3.5mm TRS jacks at the knob end, there's actually none of that - the breakout cables come right out of the unit, for better or worse. It's really fine and the dial has some weight to it, which is great. No more getting my monitor gain structure screwed up by friends watching YouTube videos or having the poo poo scared out of me by the same!!!

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
A friend of mine is having an issue with a new PreSonus audio interface. Apparently it's a common problem; the interface is not compatible with USB3.0 and simply will not work on their computer. Are there any workarounds for this or are they SOL?

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
They're having a real weird headache with this PreSonus unit.

Now they're telling me that on their desktop, they've gone in and disabled xHCI on their BIOS, turning the USB ports effectively into 2.0s, but the computer still can't see the AudioBox, it's not available as an audio device in their software. But, they've also tried it on their Microsoft Surface Pro laptop, which only has one USB3.0 port, and on that machine the interface is visible - but they're getting no signal through it. Armed audio tracks just record blank waveforms.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR
Some silly restrictions of features of my DJ gear have got me looking for a 2-line-input interface to pipe my standalone controller back into my 'new' M1 MacBook Air for streaming purposes.

What's the consensus on the current-gen Komplete Audio2? iRig stuff is cheap as balls too, is it any good? I can get a good discount on any interface but the NI seems like the least expensive 'good' interface before dropping down to like, M-Audio tier. Plus I'm used to and like their interfaces (I have an Audio10 that I can't find a buyer for, great little box IDK why they ever stopped making it).

I'd rather not have to do DA/AD conversion for this at all since it's basically just getting the master of my standalone DJ controller back into my computer, but certain 'features' on the controller preclude its USB interface from working unless the laptop software is also doing the work - kind of defeats the purpose of 'standalone', innit?