Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

I have an unhealthy obsession with motorcycles.

Proof

goodness posted:

For the synths, I need 1 to run multiple into. And having the second one would enable me to take that setup on the go while still having the budget DAC for my pc monitors.

I may have to go through ordering the budget ones until I find one with no hiss.

Sounds like a waste of money to me.
You're not going to find a worthwhile standalone USB DAC for much less than $100. Once you hit that price point though your options really open up.

You could get a Behringer with a single line input https://www.amazon.com/BEHRINGER-Audio-Interface-1-Channel-UM2/dp/B00EK1OTZC and use the RCA out to each one of your monitors as long as they're not far away.
I don't like to make single ended runs longer than 4' because then you're more susceptible to introducing noise from EMF/RF.

Or you could just get a used Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 on ebay for like $40-50.

Do you need each synth to have its own dedicated line in presented to your desktop? It sounds to me like you don't want to do the mixing on the computer, but want to mix the signals before they get to the computer.
In that case, you just want a mixer for the synths, like this: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/402VLZ4--mackie-402vlz4-4-channel-mixer

You could get a mixer for the synths, and an audio interface for the computer and be all set!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Radiapathy posted:

Buy a used Focusrite Scarlett 2i2. Just about anything cheaper won't have balanced outputs. Then use well-shielded TRS/balanced 1/4" male-to-male cables directly from the 2i2 out to the "balanced" ins on your speakers. I use Mogami cables. (They're the only real "brand name" cable I have experience with, but compared to the off-the-shelf cables you can get at Guitar Center they legit make a difference if you are dealing with interference buzz. They have top-notch shielding and rugged connectors. There are almost certainly less expensive options that provide the same level of signal purity; I just don't know which other brands to recommend. But I have experienced noticeable improvements- specifically reductions in wifi/radio interference- when swapping out my no-name cables for Mogamis.) EDIT: Also, ideally, use the USB cable that came with your interface, and make sure it's directly plugged into a USB 2.0 port on your computer, if you have one available.

If you get an interface with balanced outs (like the 2i2) and use GOOD TRS cables to your monitors' balanced ins and STILL have buzz, then you're dealing with a ground loop. Totally common problem; not always the easiest to address... but you can rule out weaknesses in your signal chain by doing the above.

We determined in the other thread he was just hearing the normal amp noise from his monitor.
It's not interference or a ground loop or anything.
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?noseen=0&threadid=3384469&perpage=40&pagenumber=188#post495875153

But I'd like to take this opportunity to second your opinion on Mogami cables, they're very good.
But also, if you like Mogami, you'll REALLY like Gotham Audio: http://www.gothamaudiousa.com/
I snagged a few hundred feet of various cable from their sale page for about $.32/foot. Unfortunately they're no longer being supplied by Gotham AG https://gothamcable.com/en/ so you should stock up on bulk cable while you still can.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

goodness posted:

Still keeping my eye out for a used 2i2, I just missed one on ebay for $50.

bruh.

Focusrite Scarlett Solo 2nd Gen Audio Interface + Mackie CR3 Speakers $110 after $60 slickdeals rebate + Free s/h

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

goodness posted:

That is the solo though, I new 2 inputs.

It's got 2 inputs: one xlr and one 1/4". It just only has one mic preamp input, and outputs are rca instead of 1/4".
You're probably still better off holding out for a 2i2 but the solo is still an option.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
New Focusrite lineup looking REAL good.

https://www.gearnews.com/focusrite-introduces-3rd-generation-scarlett-audio-interfaces/

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

syntaxfunction posted:

Fuuuuuck. Wanna get that 18i20 and an octopre. Looks loving awesome.

Duh. Don't we all? Although that octopre dynamic might be more my speed.
The new 2i2 looks goddamn perfect for a portable interface.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

chippy posted:

Goddamn it, I've been watching the 2nd Gen 18i8 on Amazon for a while as it seems to get a price drop occasionally and I have credit to spend, but now I'm tempted to just go all-out and get the 3rd gen 18i20. That would probably be all the interface I need, like forever.

dude it's only like $300. Just do it.
Hell there's even an 18i20 for $500 right now.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
So I thought I was being dumb by buying a new 4i4 when I already had a perfectly good 2i2 I was using.
Holy gently caress was I wrong.

This thing is AMAZING. I was not prepared for the software to be so good after dealing with my 1st gen 2i2 for so long.
I mean, internal routing is HUGE. It plays so nice with Ableton that I'm about to dig out some 5 pin cables and see how it does as a midi interface. :synthy:

The usb-c is definitely a gimmick though. The cable it ships with has 4 pin usb 2.0 on the other end :jerkbag:
On the other hand... it has an "Air Button"
...that's not actually a physical button but whatever.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Weird BIAS posted:

Oh huh, i didn't have much experience with the gen 1s, they didn't have the control software until gen 2 I guess.

Also I only got to look at a solo for a minute a couple weeks back before it was gone, is the control software how to activate the pad and air boost and it's just lights on the physical unit?

yup. I was a little disappointed there wasn't a button on the device but I guess that was a bit much to expect for the price point.
I mean it's a digital effect anyway so it makes sense.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

abske_fides posted:

Looking for a new interface as my trusty Saffire Pro 40 is dying. I'm pretty sure on getting the Focusrite Clarret 8preX, however, a part of me is still wondering if I should go more with the RME Fireface UFX2. Has anyone had the chance to test both, especially when it comes to the pres? Only four mic pres on the Fireface is a bit problematic but I could probably used my old Saffire Pro for a while more through the ADAT.

The difference isn't going to be so much the sound quality of the 2 units, as it is the longevity of the units. RME isn't just a piece of hardware, it's an entire ecosystem that you buy into.
I can't speak to the UFX but the ADI-2 Pro is an absolute loving powerhouse and so beautifully put together Albeit only a couple of inputs.

All that being said, I just use a Scarlett 2i2 for literally everything. And the new gen has AIR is so good I literally have no reason to have a Clarett except 1) interface connection and 2) latency?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I kinda word-salad-ed that reply (sorry phoneposting) but yeah the point still stands.
For the money, the Scarlett line is unbeatable, but performance wise, the Clarett definitely has the better preamp, more headroom and dynamic range, and faster latency.

But the Clarett 8 vs the RME UFX II? I mean dude the RME is like 3x the price...
Yeah you get twice as many front inputs and an extra adat our of the RME, but you could also just get 4 Clarett. lol

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Probably? But I personally wouldn't risk it. Just see if you can get a rack mount flight case that's like 1u or 2u

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TVsVeryOwn posted:

I'm new to the music production game and I'm looking for something to plug my MPC One audio into my PC. Not necessarily for recording, just to share my process over live stream. I started looking at a Behringer UMC404HD, but it doesn't have like "real" line inputs (I don't how to put that better), so I'd be loving with the gain knobs to keep both channels exactly the same. So I guess I'm looking at a Scarlett 4i4 or Komplete Audio 6? I know the OP says I get what I pay for, but is there a cheaper option out there with balanced 1/4" line ins?
I've also considered that I'm just GASsing and I could get by with just passing the headphone out into my onboard line in since the quality is gonna get shredded by whatever live stream host.

The 4i4 is rad as hell, plus you get DIN MIDI.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TVsVeryOwn posted:

That was the tiny push I needed. Order is in.

You won't regret it. I picked one up to upgrade from my first gen 2i2.
I didn't need it but I had Guitar Center promo gift cards about to expire and I couldn't think what to get so I just snagged one and I have been VERY happy.

The new audio routing software is good.
The 4i4 is a great little box. The rubber feet are nice, the knob feel is fluid and spectacular, the jacks are solid and the whole thing feels well built despite being very light.
Oh and the AIR button makes me sound so good in Skype meetings.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Correct, the MPK225 is just a midi controller.
Another midi controller I would recommend is the Arturia Keystep. It's fantastic and has an arpeggiator. If you want a better midi keyboard and
sequencer then you can get the Keystep Pro. If you want pads, then the Keylab and Keylab MKII and MiniLab MKII are great.
However, none of these will generate their own sounds. They are just controllers.

If it needs to make it's own sounds, then... You probably want an actual keyboard / synth / digital piano OR a midi controllable sound module / synth that you can attach to your midi controller using 5 pin DIN midi cables.
I'd like to make a recommendation but I need some more information:
a) define cheap. What's your budget?
b) do you want a sampler keyboard? Do you want a Synth? Do you just want a piano?

You could get a Synth with keys that also has midi connections like the Yamaha Reface CS. That has a few cool sounds and filters/effects plus can be used as a midi controller for your computer or hardware synths.
Whereas the Yamaha has great keys, but few sounds, the Korg Minilogue XD has lots of sounds but really lovely keys. But it can connect to your computer via usb to be used as a controller for your VST's.
The Novation MiniNova is also a fun little instrument with a vocoder and DIN midi in and out.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I can't think of a single synth that has a keyboard and trigger pads.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Shageletic posted:

Yeah, I've decided not to get a synth. Just get a cheaper audio interface with a keyboard and pads, and use my computer and Ableton. Right now I'm eyeing this Novation LaunchKey for around a hundred bucks: https://www.americanmusical.com/nov...0EaAlhsEALw_wcB

Still trying to find the most bang for my buck.

I really like my Arturia Keystep and have an Akai LPD8 I snagged for like $35 brand new. It works fine but eventually I'm gonna upgrade to a Keystep Pro + Beatstep Pro and be set for a while.
The Keylab Mini is also quite good.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 1, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Dog_Meat posted:

This is literally why I no longer use my DAW setup and switched to a all in one Tascam recorder (DP-03SD). Yeah, it can't compete with my all singing, all dancing DAW and midi isn't an option, but I rarely get time to record now and wasting a day trying to figure out crap like this made me mothball the whole thing. For the kind of simple stuff I'm recording now I love having a simple system that straddles that old-school multitrack recording with modern perks.

(and it feels like being a kid again with my Tascam 414 back in the early 90s)

This makes me want to drop the coin on a new Tascam 12 (or 16 or 24 even)
You can record straight to it or use it as an interface for your DAW (you can even use the faders and knobs to control your DAW.)

e; only the Model 12 can be used as a control surface.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 16:58 on May 13, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Achmed Jones posted:

At some point it makes sense to get a smaller audio interface and a fat mixing board rather than trying to go directly from instruments into the interface. I have a focusrite Scarlett 8i6 and don't see outgrowing it any time soon, but if I do I'll probably add a mixer rather than buy a new interface

I don't disagree, but having hardware to control your DAW via MIDI is a whole other level. Slap a built in recorder on top of that and it's a gamechanger for reduced space/portable/live setups even without the DAW functionality ESPECIALLY considering the pricepoint of the Model 12.

There's a brand new Portastudio DP32SD for sale about an hour from me for $400 but it can only record 8 tracks simultaneously anyway and has no DAW functionality, so it's really not much more useful than the Model 12 except for having way more live inputs. Plus the decreased chance that you'll forget a crucial piece of equipment when you do travel is basically zero, which is priceless.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

well why not posted:

I currently have a Focusrite Saffire Solo but i want to sample stuff in stereo. The Solo is only mono, so what's the current recommendation for an interface with jack input and stereo line in? I'm in Aus so options are sort of limited. I'm thinking an NI Komplete Audio 2 or a 2i2.

What are you sampling into and out of? Why can't you just use the Focusrite Control software to loopback into stereo or split the track into stereo in your DAW?
I've been really happy with my Focusrite 2i2 (1st gen) and 4i4 (3rd gen) so far.

e: link for clarification
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/115005059209-Mono-vs-Stereo-and-When-To-Use-Them

Also your Focusrite has 2 inputs so you COULD just use both of them if you wanted to record a single thing in stereo I guess...

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

well why not posted:

I'm thinking about picking up some hardware synths / fx and I'd also want to sample from phones, nintendos, iPads, etc etc.

I'll look into the loopback thing, thanks.

JOIN USSSSSSSSSSSSS!
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3617837

But yeah also, if you are gonna spend all the money then just get a better interface while you're at it.
FWIW I'm probably going to pick up a Tascam Model 12 soon so I can free myself from the computer without having to completely detach myself from the computer, thus leaving myself free to bring my 4i4 to work should I feel the need.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
I loving love my Scarlett 4i4.
I just gave my 2i4 to my sister because I needed an excuse to buy a new interface.
I'm looking to possibly get a Tascam Model 12.

I feel like any of those should do what you want unless I'm missing something?
I'm not sure if you want a mixer or interface...

What's the use case? What gear is connected?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
Balanced audio will not get rid of a 60Hz hum unless it's caused by running your line inputs in parallel with a bunch of power wires.
A Focusrite Scarlett will suit your needs perfectly as far as using it to send computer audio to your monitors.
It will not work without using using your laptop though. You can connect other things to the inputs, but nothing will get to the monitors unless your computer is on.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

TVsVeryOwn posted:

How do I set a good gain level for a playback signal? I've got the Scarlett 4i4 and a 2x1/4" to 1/8" cable going from my phone to the front inputs since I'm using the line inputs on the rear for the MPC. I just kinda set 'em so that I'm just short of peaking, somewhere around 40% if 50% is 90 degrees.

Sounds about right to me. I'd set my phone to 80% and then set the volume for each channel.
It sucks the 4i4 doesn't have a stereo input because you're forced to balance each channel separately. If you weren't already using the line inputs I'd say just use those and control volume with your phone or in the Focusrite software.

I also have a question for y'all.
Has anyone here had to deal with terrible jitter and artifacting when using a USB interface? I have been using my Model 12 as an interface since I brought my 4i4 to work and it has been awful but I can't seem to resolve it. I've tried different sample rates and buffer settings and reinstalling the driver but nothing seems to help. I don't want to use a separate DAC or interface because that sort of defeats the purpose of buying this All-In-One mixer.

GnarlyCharlie4u fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Aug 19, 2020

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof
You have the 3rd Gen 4i4? Install the latest version of Focusrite Control.
https://customer.focusrite.com/en/support/downloads?brand=Focusrite&product_by_range=1363&download_type=all
It won't help you route audio from only certain apps, but it might fix your blue screen. Uninstall the all drivers you installed first.

I think the Focusrite sees your PC output as a single device (and vice versa) so I don't know if there's going to be a way to separate different apps through the routing software. You can do stuff in windows to choose between different audio interfaces if that app supports it, but not send multiple different playbacks from your computer to different channels on the focusrite.

Have a nice trip.

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Subyng posted:

Hey thread, new to this whole thing. Got an electric guitar I'm plugging into a Focusrite Scarlett 2i4. Two questions:

1. I hear an occasional crackle when I'm playing. Any idea what causes this?

2. Buffer size. I was watching a YouTube tutorial on how to set things up and this guys buffer could he set down to 2ms, mine only goes down to 16. Is this a hardware or driver limitation?

Thanks!

"Crackle" isn't usually device related, except maybe if your socket is a little corroded. More likely that your instrument or cable is causing it.

Buffer size really depends more on your computer. If you have a fast proc and a shitton of ram then go for it I guess, but you're likely not going to see a vast improvement.
Here's a primer:
https://support.focusrite.com/hc/en-gb/articles/207546885-Latency-Issues-with-Interfaces

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Subyng posted:

Follow up yo my guitar into Focusrite 2i4 setup, I keep getting line noise that seemingly randomly comes and goes. Like I can just be sitting there not moving or playing and the noise will appear for a while and disappear for a while. Any idea why that might be?

Are you using a TRS or a TS cable?

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Subyng posted:

Um, whatever type this is!

https://imgur.com/a/xMGxUg7

That's a TS cable. I was thinking maybe you were picking up radio interference due to using a TRS cable but that's definitely not it.
Can you describe the noise? Or record it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GnarlyCharlie4u
Sep 23, 2007

Proof

Radiapathy posted:

TRS cables offer better protection, but only when used between TRS connectors. If you use a TRS cable for a TS connection, you actually lose a fair amount of signal down the third wire and have to increase gain levels to compensate, which increases any noise present. The quality of the cables matters too, of course. (I've gotten off-the-shelf XLR and TRS cables from Guitar Center that had terrible shielding; caught a huge amount of RF interference.) Anyway, a TS cable is the correct one for the job if we're talking about plugging a guitar into an interface's instrument input... just wanna make sure it's well shielded.

I was thinking more along the lines of the R part of the TRS cable isn't making connection and just became a giant loving antenna for picking up radio waves.
Happed to me once when I plugged in a TRS cable from my bass to my SVT-4Pro and suddenly heard Calypso music.

But yeah also this.