Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
http://www.reaper.fm/

Free to try, no restricitions.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.

clockworkjoe posted:

All right I have little audio production skills - just enough to record a podcast. Up until recently I've used a 2 track audio interface to record 2 shure m57s into my laptop running Adobe Audition CS 6. I just got a Scarlett 18i8 interface and 2 more shure m57s so I could record 4 people at once. I can't figure out how to get the loving thing to work. I installed the drivers and plugged it in then loaded up Audition. I set it to ASIO and all 4 tracks were recognized and I can see levels in the meter, but when I hit record, the time code starts running but it doesn't record at all.

edit: I can record audio but its very quiet but playback doesn't work at all. I can only hear it if I export it as a wav and play it back in another program. I have no idea what I should do for the Scarlett Mix control interface.

You might have to "arm" recording of the individual tracks. This is so that the big record button on the main transport only records the tracks that you want.

E: Huh shoot, I'm way off probably

crimedog fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Aug 21, 2015

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I have a Komplete Audio 6 interface that's USB powered. I'm getting noise on the line inputs when I complete the connection with an analog synth with a 1/4 inch TS cable, i.e. the noise is gone when either end is disconnected. I'm using an unbalanced cable because the synth output is unbalanced. The interface input is balanced.

I suspect it's the fact that the interface is USB powered and I live in an apartment with a million WiFi signals. Or it could be my computer case fans. I don't know.

All power comes from a single surge protector into a single wall outlet. I've tried a lot of things: using a TRS cable, trying another outlet, turning the volume of the synth to zero, moving the cables to a different spot, unplugging computer monitor or Ethernet cable, turning off house lights. I probably just need to use a gate plugin and call it a day.

The noise is peaking around -78 dbFS. Is this a normal noise level for an analog input?

crimedog fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Nov 9, 2017

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
Yeah, the front combo jack inputs were set up right and the rear TRS inputs don't have a software boost or anything. I'm gonna look into the 2nd gen Scarlett 6i6. I like that it has a separate power jack. How's the latency on the Scarletts?

crimedog
Apr 1, 2008

Yo, dog.
You dead, dog.
I would love it too. There's no noise really except when I'm recording, which of course is baked into the wav file. The noise is definitely coming from my desktop computer motherboard, presumably through the USB connection.

About the Scarlett latency, I thought I saw it got a better score than the KA6 on that low latency database thread on GS.

Anyway, I'm gonna try a powered USB hub, which I didn't even consider before because I don't have a laptop. Do you guys have a recommendation?