Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax
I'm having a hard time deciding between getting an Apogee Ensemble and a RME FireFace 800. It would be be my main interface and I'd probably switch my 003r+ to being my ADAT in. I'm on OSX and they seems to go for about the same amount used.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Radiapathy posted:

By "high quality pres" do you mean pres with the most impressive technical specs, or pres that sound most pleasing to your ear? (Because they're not necessarily going to be the same, and if it's the latter you're concerned about, you'll only know by listening.)

For what it's worth, I did a comparison of all my interfaces that had preamps last year. Most of them are entry-level 2-in-2-out USB, but I included RME's best USB/FW interface in the mix. (My MOTU 24I/O didn't have pres; was all line I/O.)

https://soundcloud.com/ultimateoutsider/sets/access-virus-ti2-preamp
https://soundcloud.com/ultimateoutsider/sets/yamaha-sy85-preamp-comparison

Anyway, the Zoom TAC-2 is tiny, and runs on Thunderbolt bus power. No experience with this one although their low-end R8 interface was better than I expected, and that device's latency was the lowest I'd ever seen in its price range, so reckon this one will at least perform like a champ:
https://www.zoom-na.com/products/studio-recording/audio-interfaces/zoom-tac-2-thunderbolt-audio-converter

The RME Babyface is tiny and sturdy (designed to be portable), although the I/O is all on a breakout cable- but it's pretty short and probably won't tangle. I can confirm that RME's USB drivers are unparalleled for performance and stability. (And their routing software rules hard once you understand how it works.)
http://www.rme-audio.de/en_products_babyface.php

As I'm a Windows person, no personal experience with Apogee, but like you I've heard LOTS of reports from people who have significant stability/reliability issues with the Duets. No idea why they still get recommended so often. It's not like the unimpressive Focusrite Scarletts everyone recommends all the time- because while those are really only mediocre, at least they're cheap.

I will confirm that RME pres are the bees knees.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

invision posted:

I have an m-audio firewire 410 and PT 7.xx

The 410 is on it's last legs.

I want something that's sub like ~800 and works with PT. I've heard that avid finally did away with the hardware locking so now it will work with anything, but I also don't want to make a buying decision off of yelp reviews.

Needs balanced 1/4" out, and XLR + 1/4" in.

Firewire preferred only because I don't have USB3.0 and I had a really bad experience with a fasttrack a long time ago.

You may be able to score an RME Fireface for around ~$800, I got mine a year ago and it absolutely owns bones.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

BonoMan posted:

Haha this came in and it's hilariously poorly built. It's got 4 big knobs on it and NONE of them rotate with the same tension. One has perfect resistance and the other three are varying degrees of "loose" to "there's no way this can actually work" loose. It also has three dip switches. Again one is perfect and one is medium and one is incredibly loose.
It's like the loving Goldilocks of terrible hardware design.

Yeah, I mean, Tascam.....

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

BonoMan posted:

We have precisely one other piece of Tascam equipment in our gear lineup. A TR-60D that flies with our 5D package. I mean it's not the best thing in the world, but it's still built ten times better than this piece of poo poo.

They're just all over the place, that's what I mean, some stuff is great, some is just terrible.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

toadee posted:

So, why is it that I can't seem to find any audio interfaces that aren't in a mixer format that provide more than 8 analog ins? I don't really need a mixer, I just need a ton of analog ins for all my synths. I can do all my level adjusting and per channel fx in my PC and in fact I'd prefer to do that. So why is it to get something with somewhere between 12-16 analog ins I seem to HAVE to buy a mixer with a USB interface. Is there any option Im missing here?

You're best bet then would be to get a good 8 channel interface than ADAT in a Motu 8pre or something similar.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

toadee posted:

It's just crazy that I can get a Phonic or Yamaha or Behringer mixer with 12-16 ins for like $200-400 but to do so without a bunch of channel strips and stuff involves getting an interface + D/A converter for a total closer to $1000.

If you're interested I'll be selling a digi 003 rack+ soon, It'll be a pretty drat decent price too.

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

toadee posted:

Hmm, that Tascam interface looks promising. Seems to get generally positive reviews.

Do you think the MOTU interfaces would really be worth the premium?

Truthfully, Tascam is extremely hit or miss. They have terrible QC issues from my understanding. I have never had issues with motu stuff. I know some people say they have driver issues but that was awhile ago and I bet that issue has been resolved.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hollis Brownsound
Apr 2, 2009

by Lowtax

Wengy posted:

So I'd like to buy an interface to record my hack guitar playing and sometimes singing. I'm using a MacBook Pro and am not looking for the best value, but rather the best quality because I don't have the patience to gently caress around with drivers and troubleshooting or whatever. I was looking at an RME Babyface Pro, but I'd like to buy at a specific store for which I have a ton of coupons and they don't carry RME. What would be a comparable product?

Apogee duet or the UA Apollo. I do however own an RME Fireface, and love the poo poo out of it, so it's hard for me to talk you out of the Babyface.