Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Here comes the usual newbie questioning:

At the moment I just have some Volcas and an old Kaossilator, but I'm getting kind of tired of wearing cans over a pair of earbuds. Plus I'd like to eventually preserve some of these terrible noises for posterity. I'm looking at mixers and audio interfaces and such, but I have some questions.

If I get a mixer and connect its output to a small usb audio interface, I'm only going to get a single track in my DAW, right? Isolating each instrument to record separate tracks sounds annoying.

Pickings seem to get a little slim for interfaces with more than 4 inputs, though. The idea of actually having to unplug things and plug other things in is disgusting to me, so I'd like to try and get something with more flexibility. I'm looking at the Focusrite Scarlett 18i8, and it seems to fit the bill nicely. I can just plug everything into that, hear everything through my headphones, and the DAW will see them as separate tracks? What's the catch?

Plus apparently ADAT is a thing? So in some horrible future when I'm divorced and own more than 8 synthesizers, I don't have to throw the Scarlett in the garbage?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

good jovi
Dec 11, 2000

'm pro-dickgirl, and I VOTE!

Excellent. Thanks a lot.