Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm new to the music production game and I'm looking for something to plug my MPC One audio into my PC. Not necessarily for recording, just to share my process over live stream. I started looking at a Behringer UMC404HD, but it doesn't have like "real" line inputs (I don't how to put that better), so I'd be loving with the gain knobs to keep both channels exactly the same. So I guess I'm looking at a Scarlett 4i4 or Komplete Audio 6? I know the OP says I get what I pay for, but is there a cheaper option out there with balanced 1/4" line ins?
I've also considered that I'm just GASsing and I could get by with just passing the headphone out into my onboard line in since the quality is gonna get shredded by whatever live stream host.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

The 4i4 is rad as hell, plus you get DIN MIDI.

That was the tiny push I needed. Order is in.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

How do I set a good gain level for a playback signal? I've got the Scarlett 4i4 and a 2x1/4" to 1/8" cable going from my phone to the front inputs since I'm using the line inputs on the rear for the MPC. I just kinda set 'em so that I'm just short of peaking, somewhere around 40% if 50% is 90 degrees.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

So I just had my 4i4 BSOD me when I disconnected the headphone out. Rolling acid right now so bugfixing is not an in the moment priority, just wanted to table this somewhere so I don't forget.

Edit: Also how can I get Windows apps to talk to the other playback channels? I want to have 1/2 as main out to my stream and 3/4 to be monitor only and to be able to switch what is sending where on a per program basis.

Papa Was A Video Toaster fucked around with this message at 11:10 on Aug 24, 2020

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

You have the 3rd Gen 4i4? Install the latest version of Focusrite Control.
https://customer.focusrite.com/en/support/downloads?brand=Focusrite&product_by_range=1363&download_type=all
It won't help you route audio from only certain apps, but it might fix your blue screen. Uninstall the all drivers you installed first.

I think the Focusrite sees your PC output as a single device (and vice versa) so I don't know if there's going to be a way to separate different apps through the routing software. You can do stuff in windows to choose between different audio interfaces if that app supports it, but not send multiple different playbacks from your computer to different channels on the focusrite.

Have a nice trip.

Does this mean I should get start looking at a hardware mixer?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

So I bought a mixer. Just a little Yamaha MG06X. I feel like this is the part where I've gotta learn gainstaging and stuff. I get a hum from my Chromecast if the level is above half and there's no signal.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

Are you splitting the stereo signal from the Chromecast up into left and right before plugging it into the mixer?

Yeah, it's a Chromecast audio, going from TRS 1/8" to L/R 1/4"

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

I'm looking at instead extracting the audio from a Chromecast HDMI signal and then RCA to 1/4" into the mixer for other reasons. Does that help the noise issue?
Edit: Also anyone know of a good HDMI audio extractor?

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

chippy posted:

What's your ultimate goal here, out of interest? Maybe there's an easier way to do what you're doing. I think a device to extract audio from a HDMI signal will be an active, powered one, given that a HDMI signal is a digital one.

Chromecast into splitter then Elgato, Elgato into PC. Audio from the HDMI signal taken from the splitter into my mixer. I can use my TV that's taking the split signal to send RCA, but then I have to have that input selected and I'd like to use that as my secondary computer monitor again. So I'm probably just gonna buy the smallest, cheapest TV I can that will pass through audio.

Bigger picture I'm trying to stream VJing and I thought it would be neat to bring in Youtube music videos as a source.

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

chippy posted:

I am struggling to understand why a Chromecast is required to be involved in this at all to be honest!

In short: limited compute and screen resources and bad early software choices (gently caress SLOBS). I can probably redo the whole thing without it, but I like keeping VJing on the PC and music someplace else (eventually my own stuff on the MPC). Like my CPU is pinned out with just OBS streaming and my VJ software going, I don't really want to reinternalize music video playback. I should finally film my studio tour soon so everyone can tell me how dumb and bad my signal chain is.
My next purchase is probably an HDMI audio extractor and I'll just hope to god it isn't noisy. I was also considering an optical in DAC since the TV I was trying to use as an extractor has 1/8" and optical out.
I think I'm going to make a thread, but I don't know in which forum.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Papa Was A Video Toaster
Jan 9, 2011

Does the 2i2 not have MIDI in? My 4i4 does.
I use a M-audio MIDI sport duo. It's fine. Seems to be about the same as the one you're looking at.