Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
I've got one of these:

Now, I'm not going to lie I mainly bought it because it has VU metres on it that light up but so far so good, it seems to do the job well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

After The War posted:

How have you been liking that over the time since you posted? I've been eyeballing it for a while - would like something with four inputs to pull stuff off the rackmount Yamaha four-track cassette I got because insanity.

I really like it, however I am not an *#expert#* on these things so keep that in mind :)

Sound quality and latency are both spot on, build quality rocks (it's all metal) and all the dials and switches feel solid.

It needed a firmware update, but this seems pretty well known about them, that all went smoothly as well to be fair to Akai, just a download and install.

I personally like it and I could see it being amazing for recording bands live because of the 4 inputs.

Plus it looks cool!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Flipperwaldt posted:

It used to suck latency-wise on initial drivers/firmware, so I guess they addressed that then, if it's okay with guitar. I have a :allears:/:rolleyes: relationship with the gimmicky look.

I've found it fine, I am certain there will be people who say I am wrong, but that's just audio equipment chat for you.
So far I have recorded various guitar parts in to Cubase with it and not a whole lot more, it's done that well so I can't complain, however I would for sure hunt down recent reviews of it as other people will have better in depth takes on it than I will.
I'll be putting midi keyboards through it soon, so time will tell I guess!
It looks good in the flesh, I dunno, photos of it make it look a bit cheaper than it does, having said that it does go for a specific aesthetic that you'll either love or hate, I am a retro baboon so I love it :D

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

After The War posted:

How have you been liking that over the time since you posted? I've been eyeballing it for a while - would like something with four inputs to pull stuff off the rackmount Yamaha four-track cassette I got because insanity.

Trip report update:

DO NOT BUY AN AKAI EIE PRO

The thing is great but randomly I get this thing where all audio coming out of it sounds 'bitcrushed'

You can here it from about 35 seconds into this vid:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=18rs37g-ajU

Akai are basically all 'welp sucks to be you' about this, and it's a common issue:

http://community.akaipro.com/akai_p...on-from-outputs

So sadly I have to advise against getting one, it is great until it does this and then it just, well, it's poo poo.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Radiapathy posted:

The biggest liability with Akai (and their sister brands, Alesis and M-Audio) right now is support. They do not fix bugs and they do not solve problems.

I had been looking at the new Akai keyboard controllers, but my experience with the buggy software that came with my Alesis V-25, and the laughably bad support I got when looking for answers/workarounds made me wary of anything they produce.

If the EIEs were reliable (I have heard complaints about driver stability elsewhere) they would be one of the best values on the market, so it is a shame.

It's infuriating because apart from this issue it's everything I could ever want, and in all honesty I personally will put up with it, but it does absolutely stop me recommending them to anyone else and will stop me buying from them in future for sure.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

After The War posted:

Well, poo poo. And here I was just getting ready to order one as a "congratulations, you survived running a convention!" present to myself. :smith: TBH, I still may end up doing it and taking the risk - I'm willing to put up with a lot to get those four inputs. More research first, then.

EDIT - What OS are you using? It looks like this is important.

Windows 8 64bit
I can try it on win 7 64bit if you want me to to test it, no probs.

For me until it freaks out and gets all distorted for no reason it is brilliant, I can put up with it, but obviously it does stop me outright recommending it to people.

Turning it off and back on fixes it, but again, I can;t recommend it with a clear conscience.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

After The War posted:

Sorry to abandon the thread for a while, but yeah - everything I saw was people having trouble with Macs and Windows 8, so I'd be curious how it does with Win7 for you.

So far so good but I haven't used it for extended periods, I'd still be cautious :)

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Verizian posted:

Akai EIE pro

I've got one, it's great until out of the blue and at random your whole sound turns into harsh deafening white noise forcing you to switch the unit on and off until it fixes itself.
There's nothing you can do about it and it's pot luck whether it affects you or not, I absolutely 100% would never recommend buying one because of this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Sup Manchester goon :)
Have you been to PMT? They are pretty good over there for advice and gear.