Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

Time for me to mention the Roland Quad Capture's power reconditioning again then. Or the Duo Capture Ex' ability to run on batteries.

I mostly wanted those two mentioned on the first page of this thread as they are definitely worthy of consideration :)

Quad Capture has been rock solid for me so far. The longer I'm using this thing, the more I can appreciate the automatic level setting thing. On the surface it looks like a gimmick, but it is in fact really, really convenient.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Butt Bidness posted:

Incredibly silly newbie question: so if I'm looking at picking up an entry level interface like a Scarlett 2i4 or a Komplete Audio 6, I kind of understand how I'd hook a microphone into the interface and connect the interface to my PC, but I don't understand which cables I'd need to hook my analog synths directly into the interface. They've got a 1/4" line out, but I'm not sure how I'd get from there to XLR.

Also, for recording synths, vocals, and guitar, would you guys recommend the Scarlett over the Komplete or vice versa? Or is it just a wash since they have comparable plug-ins?
Both the 2i4 and the KA6, like most modern interfaces, have inputs that can either take xlr or 1/4" jack. As in: they can physically take either plug.

When you're talking about plug-ins, are you talking about included software or something?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Mutant John posted:

I've got a fairly dumb question here, it seems.
I just got a Steinberg UR22, installed, connected, everything's fine and dandy, but... do I have to connect the thing to monitors (which I... don't own) using the two line-outs?
Does anyone know if there is some magical way to route it so it plays through my PC's speakers?
(Edjit: I'm talking about Amplitube/Guitar Rig use specifically. When I choose the UR22 as an input option, I only get the UR22 as an output option with no way to route it through my PC)
Yeah that's not a thing you can do. You can, technically, with a lead from the line out of the UR22 to the line in of your soundcard, but then you are just negating the point of using the UR22 in the first place.

You're supposed to connect your speakers to the line outs of your UR22. Don't worry, it's going to be a superior soundcard for everything (except surround obviously).

You might need a couple of these:

And one of these:

To be sure I'm not giving you crap advice here: what sort of speakers do you have connected to your PC right now?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Wow. Do they even still sell passive pc speakers of the type that would have a 3.5mm plug? Haven't seen any of those anywhere since the last millennium.

Set As Default Device is good additional information that I'm just taking for granted though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Radiapathy posted:

Just plug it into interface headphone out instead... it's just a line level unbalanced stereo out like a PC has.
Headphone outs are amplified to some degree and might supply voltages higher than what something normally receiving line level expects, resulting in distortion. Even had that with something low power as an iPod because the receiving end wasn't tolerant of a large degree of deviation. Depending on the quality of the inbuilt amplifier, you also might end up with a noisier signal.

I mean, you can turn the volume down to bring it roughly into spec and it will work fine. On the other hand, a couple of adapters for the perfectly fine line outs the UR22 has are just a couple of bucks.

I guess it mostly would bother me that it's not doing things the way they were intended, which is likely meaningless to the rest of the world.

edit: Also assuming powered pc speakers with 3.5mm male jacks all the way

edit2: It's just that you simply would not do this or recommend this if we were talking monitors, which are absolutely the same exact thing as powered pc speakers, just of a better quality.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 01:38 on May 12, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I think we're totally on the same page. And I think the reason I got a bit worked up about it yesterday is that the topic slightly grazed a pet peeve of mine. Which is different marketing terms for very similar things, like monitors and powered speakers. Or audio interface, "DAC" and soundcard.People should know they have largely overlapping functionalities and sometimes people really don't.

But that, admittedly, wasn't all that relevant to the discussion at hand, sorry.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I had some seriously weird poo poo with my Roland Quad Capture on a usb 3 port until I upped the buffersize to 256 samples. It would randomly stop outputting sound over ASIO until I messed with the buffer size settings a bit (even leaving it at the same setting in the end). Also sometimes none of my vst plugins wouldn't load their presets occasionally, which is really :psyduck:, considering that got solved the same way.

At 256 samples it's rock solid though and output latency is supposedly still below 15ms, which is ok for playing vsts with a midi keyboard, so :shrug:

Didn't know all that might have been related to usb 3 poo poo, so thanks. My laptop has a single usb 2 port; I should give that a shot to see if it makes a difference.

EDIT: Yeah, on the usb 2 port it's stable at 96 samples.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jun 12, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I have a pretty small desk and the usb 2 port is on the right side of the laptop. It's perfect for plugging in a tiny mouse receiver. Plugging in a normal usb cable, the plug hangs over my mousepad and I've got to move my mouse around it :(

But I just checked and the bios of my laptop has an option to disable usb 3 functionality completely and make the ports on the left usb 2 ports too. I'm going to try that out tomorrow. Considering I don't have a single usb 3 device and probably won't for a while, why not?

Flanky, possibly something worth checking in your situation (budget)? I mean, depending on how much you need usb 3 writing speeds for something else. Seems worth a shot.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Flipperwaldt posted:

But I just checked and the bios of my laptop has an option to disable usb 3 functionality completely and make the ports on the left usb 2 ports too. I'm going to try that out tomorrow. Considering I don't have a single usb 3 device and probably won't for a while, why not?
For the record, this works. Though for some reason Windows had to re-detect a shitload of hardware that I wouldn't have thought was in any way related, like anything built-in Bluetooth related and the wireless mouse that was plugged in in the single usb 2 port I had to begin with.

But after that the Quad Capture was stable at 96 samples on all ports.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

"widely used"

What? :psyduck:

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

AxeBreaker posted:

what kind of interfaces should i be looking at? Are there any with multiple MIDI outs, or is there some other gear that I need?
Motu Micro Lite will take care of your midi routing needs. Alternatively, the volcas can be modded for midi thru. Like the contact points are already printed on the board or something. Just solder on a midi din connector. You'd still need something else to mix your audio together though. I'm hot for the Zoom R16 currently, but I'm sure there are more sensible recommendations for your current situation.

Midi Solutions Quadra Thru would work too for midi routing if you get it in combination with an audio interface with its own midi in/out. I think you'd be paying more out of the rear end for an audio interface with multiple midi outs in any case.

Y-cables are never the right solution for sending multiple signals to one destination. I'm just stating that for clarity. I think you got recommended it to split op the stereo signal into to unbalanced monos for plugging into a mixer or interface though, I think? Which would be right.

Eegah posted:

Will this work, or at least can anyone vouch?
Should work. I'm not sure what the difference is, but I thought the UCA-222 was the newer version. There's no difference in specs jumping at me though.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Twiin posted:

I bought a MOTU MicroBook II to replace my Akai EIEIO, but I get crazy pops and crackles on both my desktop and laptop with it. I just want a sound card that works. Does anyone have one of those. Augh.
Possibly another case of USB3 compatibility problems? Do the crackles go away at longer latency settings? Latest firmware? Tried a USB2 port?

AxeBreaker posted:

Korg Taktile 49 MIDI controller
If you can be arsed, use it for a couple of weeks and post your impressions in either the synth thread or the electronic music thread. I'd be interested in hearing about it.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Sep 9, 2014

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

What with all the USB3 troubles and with Zoom getting such good results in your tests, Radiapathy, I'm quite curious about the USB 3 audio interfaces Zoom announced in april (and that now show as deliverable on Bax-shop in 24 weeks).

also in 4 and 8 channel versions. Those have two headphone outs with separate volume control, which seems neat.

Viability of this would also depend on prices, which are not known yet.

I guess I think this is exciting because I don't know of any other USB 3 interfaces. Is this (going to be) the first one?

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

fallenturtle posted:

My biggest "latency" concern is actually playing VST instruments with my midi keyboard. Am I correct in thinking that that's more an issue of computer power than audio interface latency? Of course I would like to be able to also play my guitar processed by Amplitude or Guitar Rig where I assume audio interface latency IS an issue.
No, for playing vsts audio interface latency is important too. It's part of the same thing. Though you only deal with output latency rather than roundtrip latency (which is the total of all input and output latencies).

CPU power is important as well. When you lack cpu power, you'll have to increase buffer size (increasing latency) to have stable stutter and distortion free output. Though on any reasonably modern computer you can have completely unnoticeable latencies and this only becomes a problem when your processor is occupied with piles and piles of plugins.

I'm sure it's all a fair bit more complicated than how I'm explaining it, but this is more or less what you'll find in practice.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I don't know man. I like the thrill of the gamble as much as any guy, but on the other hand Presonus has the AudioBox iTwo in totally the same price range. I know nothing about it, but somehow that already seems a safer bet.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

good jovi posted:

So in some horrible future when I'm divorced and own more than 8 synthesizers, I don't have to throw the Scarlett in the garbage?
Maybe sooner, because input count on audio interfaces very often concerns mono inputs.

While you're mixing together a couple of synths, you probably don't want the full stereo spread on all of them anyway to keep it mixable, but still, be aware that that is a thing. A thing that makes sense in the pro-audio world, but is surprising if you're more familiar with how thing are done in the hifi world for example.

So if there's a catch, it's this: a very high advertised number of inputs runs out quicker than you think if you start scratching away all the digital inputs and need the analog ones for stereo pairs.

It's not a problem though if you know beforehand.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

toadee posted:

It's just crazy that I can get a Phonic or Yamaha or Behringer mixer with 12-16 ins for like $200-400
Yeah, um, do any of those mixers output more than stereo over usb? Because technically that's an apples/oranges comparison with multi-in interfaces, I think.

And if they do, please tell me, because in the budget section there only was an Alesis Multimix (usb2 version) that mysteriously disappeared from the market and now maybe the Zoom R16 that barely qualifies as a mixer with all the menu diving.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

toadee posted:

Yes, actually Ive been using a Phonic Helixboard 12 for years now but it's starting to flake out on me and it doesn't technically have native Win7 support so Im looking to replace it
Ugh, man, that's too bad. Decent support for modern OSs would be as important as on a regular multi-in interface, of course. I'll have to keep looking. Thanks anyway.

You'd think this was some huge market segment instead of a niche product.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I just bought a NI Traktor Audio 2 MkII interface for my mobile setup.

Basically needed the smallest possible headphone out with real ASIO drivers. Seems to be absolutely stable at 32 samples/6ms at 24 bit/48kHz, which is pretty amazing. Sounds good and can get loud if required.

It's got some oddities. While the headphone out shows in windows as a separate audio device, it only actually works that way in ASIO mode, apparently. You can still listen to what's coming out of the main output via the headphone output though. I also had to change the windows output setting manually to 24 bit/48kHz stereo for any sound to come out at all outside of ASIO mode.

Those things aside, I'm pretty happy. I basically bought the MiniLab thinking it'd be nice on the go and completely forgot it would be useless for vsts with the enormous latency of the onboard sound. So it had been sitting in a drawer for half a year. It's a bit poo poo, but it works and I won't cry if a knob breaks off in transport or something.

Wasn't able to try on USB 3 ports (because I loving fried them with a bum powered hub :cripes:), but presumably the caveats for NI products on USB 3 like with the Komplete Audio 6 still apply. Can't give any evidence to the contrary in any case.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Feb 13, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

It used to suck latency-wise on initial drivers/firmware, so I guess they addressed that then, if it's okay with guitar. I have a :allears:/:rolleyes: relationship with the gimmicky look.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The Zoom R8, like the Samson Mixpad you mentioned elsewhere, will only output stereo over the usb connection, not all the inputs as separate tracks. I'm just saying because I'm not sure you're aware of that. I've heard of driver problems with the Akai interfaces as well.

96kHz recording is pretty pointless for anything. Whereas an increase in bit depth from 16 to 24 gives you a somewhat tangible benefit, upping the sample rate to above 48kHz does nothing you could possibly percieve, never mind on a budget home setup. The difference also dwarfs in comparison with the giants of adjustments to acoustics or using different microphones.

The Zoom interfaces are supposed to be good. I think the R16 does 8 simultaneous separate channels, just like the R24. For use as a basic audio interface the R24 doesn't seem worth the surcharge (comparing retail prices anyway). There are a couple of ergonomic problems with them when using them for more than either a simple audio interface or a standalone recorder anyway. Lots of menu diving. But you can get one because they are good interfaces.

There's a Behringer Euphoria interface with 4 mic preamps as well and it's probably the cheapest way you're going to get that, but I'm not sure what the driver situation is there.

I would avoid the potential trouble of combining an audio interface with a usb mic, although, well, it's what you're doing now, so maybe you know of ways to work around them already. Many DAWs won't like multiple input devices, won't like different bit depths/sample rates going into one project and some low latency drivers simply not work properly with Asio4All installed (which I understand was part of one workaround for using multiple devices/sample rates (?))

Anyway, you probably don't need the super expensive setup, but at the bottom end, be careful you don't lose out on essential features (like multi channel usb input). Can't go wrong with a Zoom R16 or up from what I've seen, especially if the stand alone mode realistically appeals.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Verizian posted:

As for the R8 limitations, can't you just turn off different tracks when exporting or set your DAW (Reaper in this case) to split the stereo signal into separate tracks? Or does it mix all 8 tracks to a single mono output over USB?
It's more like a regular mixer's stereo output. So you can 'export' things in turn and you can use the stereo output as two mono outputs in some way or another, surely. But that's not the point. It will only record from two of the preamps simultaneously, even as a stand alone recorder. That's what the real problem is. It's essentially a 2 in 2 out device that prevents needless replugging and re-setting the channel parameters. If two (rather than four) simultaneous channels is something you can work with, then there are even cheaper interfaces out there that will do the job, provided stand alone mode isn't that important.

I know nothing of recording bass, in stereo, through two amps or whether all that is even a good idea, but I thought the problem brought up here was that you wanted to use 4 mics simultaneously. The R8 can't do that.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Experimenting with mic placement/distance, room acoustics or getting a different type of mic (eg large diaphragm condenser mic) is going to make a shitload more of a difference, as far as I understand.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

wizkid posted:

I'm recording at home (a small flat) so I don't really have a lot of room (literally) for experimentation. The furthest I could get from the microphone is down a shortish hallway, but I don't think that'd help very much.

I'm not a good singer (it's why I said "vocals"), and practicing to get better is difficult when what I'm hearing through my headphones doesn't sound very "alive". Guess I was looking for something that would make the vocals sound as they would in the finished mix, rather than just completely raw.
We're talking differences in distance measured in inches basically, for a bit more room sound, a bit less proximity effect etc.

Lots of people prefer a bit of reverb on their monitor mix when they're singing for the exact reason you're mentioning, so I suppose the answer may just be as simple as that.

I won't push you to buy a new mic, but don't underestimate the huge differences in character there can be.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Steinberg UR22, Roland Duo Capture Ex, possibly Behringer U-Phoria UMC204HD are things to check out, I think.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

CaptainViolence posted:

EDIT: I guess my question is more whether or not it's possible to set this up through MIDI as a control surface.
Doesn't seem like that mixer can function as a control surface, period.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The midi is only for exporting saved scenes and automation, it doesn't do anything real time.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

A Winner is Jew posted:

So does anyone know anything about the Arturia Audiofuse and if it's USB ports can also receive audio from say an ipad?
I'm not seeing anything in the promotional material that suggests the built in three port usb hub is anything more than a three port usb hub. So those ports will allow you to do the same thing with an ipad as you would when plugging the ipad straight into a usb port of your computer, whatever that is.

You can plug the audiofuse into your ipad, apparently, as an audio interface for that, but there doesn't seem to be a new way to pipe audio from your ipad straight into your computer that wasn't there already.

At least that's my impression.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Conceivably a class compliant usb audio interface with spdif output could exist.

I see a bunch of them which tout to be "driverless" on a pc, but I have trouble finding anything that explicitly confirms they work with an ipad. Plus, ideally, I suppose, you want something that doubles up with midi input/output that you can use simultaneously, while you're at it.

It's not hard to imagine something in the category to cost way less than $1000 though.

Edit: apparently it's common with such solutions to have trouble with the digital out to set it to sync with an external clock or something. Like you often can't set it for that from the ipad. Someone had it working with a Tascam US-800 for example, but needed to set it up on a laptop and then connect it to an ipad without powering down in between. Which is possible because the thing has its own powerbrick, but still.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 10:11 on Sep 11, 2015

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Generally an interface serves to pipe audio in or out of a computer. What does the interface do if it's not connected to a computer? Aren't you essentially looking for a digital mixer or something? Some of those can be midi or app controlled, I'm pretty sure. Behringer recently came out with something like this that was well reviewed.

Or are you recording into the ipad? In which case it might be a matter of finding a compatible interface that comes with its own app or something.

I'm a bit lost as to what you're actually trying to do.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

My man, I'm not entirely familiar with the Cuemix software, but as far as I can tell, what you're looking for is called a mixer with total recall. Which is today's digital mixer (Behringer XR series). If you want the physical controls on top of that, you're looking at a variant of the Behringer X32. Which isn't exactly cheap. I don't know how far the midi implementation of Cuemix goes, but the Behringers also only go so far. Don't think you can control the equalizers in detail that way, for example.

I think you're probably going to feel spoiled by how far the Ultralite stretches at its budget. Because the cost of taking the computer out of the equation is building the computer into the device, so to speak.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Well, regardless of whether your computer can handle things and just now ignoring whether you are making the most of things with freezing or downmixing backing tracks for the purposes of recording, there are differences in latency between different interface+driver combos.

Below, not a buying guide per se, but an illustration of the fact from earlier in the thread:

Radiapathy posted:

Below are benchmark tests I did a few months ago using the RTL Utility (the tool used for raw performance testing in the DAWBench tests). This tests true round-trip latency.

Tested on the same computer with the same cables where possible, at the same sample rate and buffer settings.
The differences can be fairly dramatic. This is round trip (like input+output latency, more or less), it's pretty hard to real world test only one side of that.

In my experience 9ms throughout a whole, heavy project is a reasonably big ask, but that isn't to say you can't do a bit better than you're doing now.

I don't feel qualified to recommend you a specific device at this point, but I'm thinking you'll need to specify what input and output options you'll actually need to have a chance of getting one anyway. Like, if this is just about playing virtual instruments, I've got amazingly low latency (steady 5ms with a modern Atom tablet) on an NI Traktor Audio 2, but it doesn't have any inputs.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

MrSargent posted:

I have a question for anyone who has used a Scarlett 18i8. Is there an easy way to connect 2 sets of monitors to the interface so that I can switch back and forth during an Ableton session? I noticed that the 6i6 actually has two sets of outputs, where it appears the 18i8 has only one dedicated set of monitor outputs. Next to the monitor inputs on the 18i8, there are 4 stereo line inputs and I was wondering what these are typically used for? Thanks a lot!
You'll want some sort of switch along these lines, unless you're dead set on being able to use both sets of monitors simultaneously. It would be very cheap to make one yourself if you don't care about the extra features this one has. They are hard to find in a neat package as just a line level switch for what they should cost.

You could go ghetto and dedicate one of your headphone outputs to the second pair of monitors though.

The line inputs on the back of your audio interface can be used to connect the output of a mixer to, or some keyboards, synthesizers or whatever instrument or device outputs at line level really. Like extra microphone preamps. Or a (radio) tuner or dj cd player. Some guitar amps with built in effects might also have a line out.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

You can use the usb port for midi. You do not need to use the din midi connectors and do not need to have them on your audio interface. There will be latency when playing virtual instruments or routing audio input back to audio output if you don't have an audio interface that has low-latency drivers. The headphone output of the audio interface is where you'd plug your headphones into when listening to anything but the onboard sounds through the onboard speakers.

You'll want to get familiar with the midi settings on the keyboard in order to turn Local Control on and off. This turns on or off the direct link between the keyboard and its internal sound module. It's no disorienting to have anything you play on a virtual instrument layered with the internal piano sound.

krampster2 posted:

E: I've done some more digging and it would seem the key to my questions is whether or not my digital piano can output MIDI data through the USB port. If it can then I should not need an interface.
It can but you do nonetheless.

e2: it would only be different if you only ever wanted to use the onboard piano sounds.

Flipperwaldt fucked around with this message at 12:03 on Aug 17, 2017

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

krampster2 posted:

Thanks a lot, that makes sense. I've had a look at the Kawai's manual and have found the local control switches.

Would it be possible to get an interface for under $100 with imperceptible latency?
$99 new is pretty much the entry level for such things, but you don't have to buy new. Real world imperceptible to the vast majority of people when playing keyboard, on a moderately powerful computer that is not bogged down with hundreds of running plugins, yes.

Anything with current ASIO drivers available for your operating system can be considered. I don't have the personal experience with a variety of current products to confidently give you a more specific recommendation. I had a good deal on a Traktor Audio 2 which gives me excellent latency (3-5ms), but it has no audio inputs, unlike most of the others. You'd have to be pretty sure you'd never need them and also not have to pay full price for it, probably.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

The Minilogue's outputs are unbalanced. The 18i8's inputs (probably?) automatically switch between balanced and unbalanced and it's taking the trs input as balanced, making the cable cancel the signal out against itself. What you needed are ts to ts cables.

Can't find in its specs if you've got the same thing going on with the TR-8 or not.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

I should have actually looked at the specs earlier. Yeah, a single unbalanced mono out.

There's no point to having it go to two of your precious inputs, as the signal will be identical. The GC guy is tripping. Inputs don't need to be used in pairs. Just use one input and record it to a mono track in your DAW.

If the inputs only show up in your DAW as pairs, that's something you can configure in either the Scarlett's drivers and/or the DAW's device settings. The benefit of doing so is mostly that you'll free up the other input for another mono outputting device.

In this case the splitter cable is a stupid hacky workaround for people that don't know you can just not record to stereo tracks and then complain the sound of their recording only comes out of the left speaker.

Of course, now you've got the cable, you can do fun things like have one end go through some effect pedal and record both the output of that and the clean signal simultaneously and automate levels later in your DAW or whatever.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Well, I like to separate out cymbals and hihats from the regular percussion stuff as well, but yes.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Just giving the TR-8 ADAT out would have worked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

MrSargent posted:

Not sure how I would set this up so that the TR8 gets that specific out.
Oh, you can't. It's a "wish Roland would have done that" thing. It would have been a more reasonable compromise for not giving every sound its own analog out. Presumably cheaper for them and less pants on head retarded than turning the thing into an audio interface.