Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

barnold
Dec 16, 2011

what do u do when yuo're born to play fps? guess there's nothing left to do but play fps. boom headshot
Are you sure that setting is 16 in milliseconds and not just the size of the buffer? Both of my audio interfaces have 16 as their lowest setting, but that's not a measurement in milliseconds, that's the size of the audio buffer. At 44.1k, you would need a massive buffer, like 1024, to get 16ms of input latency. I own a 2i2 and there's no way that thing bottoms out at 1024 on the buffer size.

Focusrite's ASIO driver does not show you input latency per buffer size. In a DAW like FL, you can see your estimated latency in the ASIO settings panel, but I have a very strong suspicion that you are setting the actual buffer size itself to 16, not your input latency. A buffer size of 64 should be more than enough to track without audible pops and clicks.

EDIT: Mystery solved. You are most certainly setting your buffer size too low, and that's why you are getting audible pops. This is the Focusrite ASIO window on my rig:

You notice how it only goes down to 16, too? Now let's take a look back at FL's settings panel and see what a buffer size of 64 gives us in terms of input latency:

At 48k (which is what I mostly record all of my audio tracks in), a buffer size of 64 is an estimated 2ms of input latency. Generally speaking and from what I've heard/read from other people, <5ms is nearly indistinguishable unless you really need that ultraprecision, with 2-3ms being the sweet spot for most home recording setups. If you're getting crazy and tossing effects on there, that fine print next to "Status" in the FL studio window shows you a pretty good approximation of how long it's going to take roundtrip for your signal. In my case, it's about 6ms with FX. I use AmpliTube all the time on this machine and I have never once had a problem with latency or recording out of time with a buffer size of 64 samples, but I also have a real beefy rig, so your mileage may vary.

barnold fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Sep 24, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU