Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*
I think I posted in the previous thread about it, but I've been using the UR22 for home recording and some live stuff for years and it's been great but I'm beginning to feel the need for some sends and extra outputs - compressors, reamping, etc.

Using a mac desktop with primarily pro tools 11 and pd on OS 10.8, but will be switching to a mac laptop. No control surface necessary as I'll be doing that in the box, but builtin mic pres would be great as I don't have the dosh quite yet. USB-powered would be ideal to avoid the occasional international power brick hassle.

Basically I'm considering the next-level Steinberg with all this in mind but are there any boxes I might have missed?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Radiapathy posted:

How many extra analog sends/returns are you after?

Wouldn't need more than six total, so if there's a 4x4 that can be used at the same time as the UR22 that would be perfect. Otherwise an 8x8 would give some breathing room!

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Radiapathy posted:

I don't know what it's like on Mac, but on Windows the only reliable way to use multiple interfaces together is when you have interfaces with digital I/O that you can chain together (your computer will see them as a single device), and this rules out the UR22 since it is analog I/O only.

You can't go wrong with the MOTU UltraLite-mk3 or UltraLite AVB. I am a former MK3 owner (mine was an original FireWire-only model) and it has a huge feature set, respectable performance, and lots of I/O for the money.

uno.mannschaft posted:

Using the UL AVB and can vouch for it. Really good hardware for the money.

Thank you both for these recommendations - they suit perfectly, and I'll be keeping an eye out now!

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

chippy posted:

I guess what I'm asking is, is there any reason to choose the U44 over the 18i20, and also, are there any other options I may have overlooked completely?

I have a UR22, and if the 44 is anything like it, it's very portable. I haven't used any Scarletts, but the 22's case is made of metal that seems pretty robust. Consequently it's a little heavier than it might need to be, but my 22 has survived international trips in checked baggage without a case or anything, and none of the little fiddly bits have broken off. Build quality is fantastic.

Latency has always been more than adequate, but the 22 doesn't have any of the fancy mixing software. If you can bypass the dspmix stuff, I think you'll be able to get good settings pretty consistently. Maybe even with the fancy stuff on, too.

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Hi, I'm considering upgrading to the RME Babyface Pro FS, but I have no understanding of ADAT or ADAT gear at all and thus no idea how I'd get line in/out out of the thing, or send/return signals through guitar pedals using my reamper and DI boxes. Is there some sorta portable device that'll give me even just 2 extra channels in/out via the ADAT port and is also something I can throw in the backpack and bring along for gigging, or at this point am I better served looking for an interface with more ins/outs on the box proper?

Looking for something portable with at least 1x XLR in, 1x Hi-Z instrument in, at least one extra in/out pair. Ideally low-latency, ideally has hardware MIDI ports even via minijack adaptor. If I don't have to cart around any extra DI boxes/reampers with me that's nice too. DC coupled outs would be awesome for future stuff.

Babyface looked great until it seemed like maybe I'd need an extra box on top of it to get what I need. Considering MOTU M4, Arturia Audiofuse (although leery about build quality and failing buttons there); could even stretch to the new MOTU Ultralite although that might be a bit overkill for this application. On Windows, have Thunderbolt port if that matters.

Just want something I can use at home, then unplug and throw in the backpack with the laptop and do gigs. Would love any advice/recommendations...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

Thanks for words of confidence re: M4 - heard nothing but praise and I'm sure the build quality is good. Stock is low in my area but I might jump on it if one becomes available.

Noise Machine posted:

Throwing this out there, why couldn't you just go line-in from your pedals into the Babyface and use amp simulation? I get wanting to use it to reamp pre-recorded tracks thru guitar pedals, but if this is for live performance that seems to be over-complicating things.

Fair question! The plan is to have mono mic in on XLR, then guitar direct in on standard mono guitar plug, plus the 'fx loop' of pedals with stereo in/out (so I can run synths, vox etc. through them as well when necessary). Then master stereo bus out to monitors. So 4 in/4 out, but I can't work out how to do that with the RME by itself unless I put the direct guitar in through the 2nd XLR port and took the fx loop outputs out of one of the headphone jacks. Seems like it's possible, but might require some unintuitive routing and carrying around an extra DI box plus converter jacks/Y-cables.

Of course, if there's something I attach over ADAT that would allow me to have more than one FX loop that'd be cool too. But it seems like the combo jacks on the M4 might simplify things a little if I'm just gonna have the one loop.

As to why, I prefer the sound of the real pedals, and like being able to reach out and manipulate delay time/feedback live for example without it being on an anonymous MIDI controller. It's a silly personal preference thing for sure and doesn't simplify cable management, but makes performances a bit more fun to watch hopefully. 'Reamp' may not be the term I was looking for, I'm just using the reamp box to adjust impedance and signal level so things play nice with the fuzz pedals at the start of the chain.