Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

So, I just purchased a dedicated laptop for my electronic music production (this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07Y5PK8SC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 ) because I'm spending a lot of time away from home. I normally work on my gaming PC, and I thought this one would be powerful enough, but I just tried playing some of my songs on the new laptop (my DAW is FL Studio) and it's slowing down and lagging. I know I can render some of the tracks to avoid this problem, but I'm wondering if an audio interface would also work - I've not needed one up until this point. They essentially work as external sound cards, correct? So would it take some load off my laptop?

This is the one I'm looking to purchase, mostly because of the price (and I can get it tomorrow): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YYWLGFM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1 . I don't do any vocal or instrument recording, I'm entirely working in software VSTs in FL Studio.

Rotten Red Rod fucked around with this message at 17:55 on Dec 12, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Thanks - I changed the buffer length on FL Studio ASIO to the max (2048) and that seemed to fix the problem, it's playing without issues now. Whew!

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Yeah I'm a long way off from needing to do any live instrument input. If I get to that point I'll probably have bought a whole new computer again.

I'll keep experimenting with the drivers. Maybe there's something I need to update - it's a fresh install of FL Studio.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

The M-Audio interface did the trick - I'm now running at a 12ms buffer with no issues at all. Hooray!