Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Is anyone still using a MOTU Ultralite mk3 (the firewire only version, not the firewire/USB hybrid) on a Mac? Any issues trying to use it on El Capitan, Sierra or High Sierra? I've been running on Mavericks for years, but I'm going to have to upgrade to one of those if I want to use Live 10. Looks like the latest drivers for it only list compatibility up to Sierra (10.12).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
The MOTU Ultralite mk3 hybrid or mk4 have pretty similar I/O options as that Edirol. The MOTUs are priced/marketed more as mid-level than entry level though.

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Going to be upgrading to an M1 Mac soon, and from what I gather that means I'm finally going to need to upgrade my MOTU Ultralite mk3 (firewire only version) that I've been using since 2008. Sounds like the hybrid (usb/firewire) version may work via usb, but that doesn't do me any good. As much as I'd like to also upgrade to something like RME, it looks like that would be close to $1250 for similar connectivity which is hard for me to justify since I haven't really found the Ultralite lacking. Right now my plan is just to get the new Ultralite mk5 since the mk3 has treated me well, but is there anything else in that price range I should also consider? Does feel a little weird to essentially side grade, but at least there have been a few upgrades over the year (e.g. better DAC, USB-C, iOS support).