Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

I dreamt I was an old dog, stuck in a honeypot. It was horrifying.
I tried the 2i2 first and was impressed by everything, except that I couldn't actually plug any of my instruments into it and play without clipping, even with the input gain knob all the way down. Seemed like a commonly reported problem, but isolated only to the 2i2, so I exchanged for the 6i6 and have been exceptionally pleased since.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Radiapathy posted:

All I know is, I am not UAD's target audience. For one thing I'm on Windows, and the Apollos didn't have real Windows support for the first year or so? But also- why would I want an interface that's designed to color the sound? All I want in my interface is faithful AD/DA, good performance, and enough I/O to meet my needs. I really just don't see anything the Apollo offers that I can't do other ways cheaper, and more to my liking. But some folks motherfucking dig the Apollos.

On a somewhat related note, MOTU just announced its first Thunderbolt/USB interface: http://www.motu.com/products/motuaudio/828x

Now that's more my speed.

It's not "designed to color the sound." The Apollos have super clean preamps and as good AD/DA as you can get. The thing that makes it different is the DSP chips onboard, which allow you to run UA plugins and offload the processing from your computer to the interface. Nowadays CPUs are powerful enough to run a ton of plugs natively so perhaps the offloading isn't needed, but UA's plugs are very good in their own right (albeit expensive.) Even if you stop using the DSP down the line with new native plugs and new processors the interface won't need replacing.

The place where being able to offload CPU is more beneficial is on laptops, which is why the new Apollo Twin is very interesting. Thunderbolt only, too. Cool stuff.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Yeah, I love my Scarlett 6i6. Just have to stay away from the bottom two ones if you plan on plugging a guitar straight into them.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Radiapathy posted:

Also, Focusrite recently released some "Gen 2" interfaces that allegedly improve their Windows performance, although I hear the improvement was mostly in the drivers. If you haven't already, check to make sure you've got the most recent drivers available for your device. The benchmarks I've seen are drastic improvements over their earlier drivers, but now place Focusrite at "slightly worse than average" instead of "absolute worst" for Windows ASIO performance. Still, it may be enough.

They also fixed the instrument gain issue on the front end of the interfaces smaller than the 6i6, which made those units basically unusable.

DEUCE SLUICE
Feb 6, 2004

Radiapathy posted:

I haven't read all the replies, but the Scarletts' performance problems are (as far as I know) limited to Windows, due to their drivers' poor ASIO support. Mac OS uses a totally different digital audio subsystem, and I'm not aware of any big latency problems for Mac users of the Scarletts.

I have heard of clipping problems when using them for direct connect with guitars though...

Yeah, everything smaller than the 6i6 didn't have enough headroom to handle hotter guitars, but they just overhauled them a few months ago and supposedly are fine now.

I've had my 1st gen 6i6 for three years or so and it's been a rock under MacOS.