Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

I bought a launchkey a week or so ago from Sweetwater. It's out of stock and will be a few days until they get it in, but I'm happy to tell you what I think when I get it. Just don't expect any real insight - it's my first keyed instrument, my first midi controller, and also I am not very good at making tracks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

At some point it makes sense to get a smaller audio interface and a fat mixing board rather than trying to go directly from instruments into the interface. I have a focusrite Scarlett 8i6 and don't see outgrowing it any time soon, but if I do I'll probably add a mixer rather than buy a new interface

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

curried lamb of God posted:

[*] For that matter, can I plug synths or anything else into the XLR mic ins? I don't plan on ever recording vocals, just synths and maybe a guitar on rare occasions.
[/list]

Synths output line level. Mics are at mic level, which is significantly lower (a bit under instrument level iirc). Maybe your audio interface is like mine and is OK with both, but make sure before you go jamming line level into the mic inputs.

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

chippy posted:

That depends on what Scarlett you get. Everything from the 6i6 upwards can operate stand-alone. Although you would need to turn on the PC and use the software to alter any of the routing.

I was about to say this - my 8i6 works on its own.

As an aside, I probably would've been better served buying a smaller interface and a mixer (...or just skipping the mixer) but I guess it saves desk space (which admittedly is at a premium). I thought I needed to have my guitar, pocket operator in stereo mode, animoog on my phone in stereo, and maybe an as-yet-unpurchased synth wired at the same time. But I was wrong, one at a time is fine. The 4i4 would've certainly been enough, and the 2i2 probably would've been fine as well 🤷‍♀️

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

Needing an insanely huge buffer like that is a sign that your cpu isn't up to snuff - maybe check if it's getting hit and throttling (or not going full-out because it's not plugged in. If you're trying to play an instrument to that it's gonna be real painful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Achmed Jones
Oct 16, 2004

You've already bought it so this isn't super helpful but: I have the 3rd gen 8i6 and like it a lot. I use it with OSX. It's overkill and I probably would've been better served with a smaller interface and a mixer, though - I'd generally prefer mixing to be in hardware than software. But overall it's a very good. The software is fine: not particularly good, not particularly bad. I am colorblind so being able to set the colors for good/almost-clipping/clipping is really nice. If it were fixed on green/amber/red id be unable to tell the difference