Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RaoulDuke12
Nov 9, 2004

The race is not to the swift, nor the battle to the strong, but to those who see it coming and jump aside.
This might be the wrong thread for this, since this is for a live performance situation, so if there's another thread that this question would be better suited towards, please let me know.

I've been acting as a tech director on a series of live performance radio plays (kind of a hipster throwback thing, but they're satirical so I guess that makes it less obnoxious?), and the majority of my job has been the live playback and cueing of sound effects and music. I've been using a program called Soundboard to trigger all this, and it's worked out great.

Recently however, I've been tasked more often with effecting the vocals of performers to accentuate their characters; for example, in the noir-ish myster thriller plays, the narrator has a deep, classic reverb effect. For the sci-fi plays, a harmonizer to create a robot sound, etc. etc.

To accomplish this, I've been buying one-trick pony, XLR-in vocal effect stompboxes and triggering them (with my foot back in the booth) when they are needed. But this is becoming both costly and annoying to piece together, and I was wondering if there was some sort of hardware/software combination that might make this job a little simpler.

Ideally it would also incorporate the SFX triggering into its interface as well, but if it doesn't, that's fine, what I have for that does the job. Any sort of live-mixing solution with software-based effects would be incredible.

The requirements:

- at least 6 independent channels, ideally XLR in
- zero delay, live mixing and effects processing
- compatible with a macbook pro (firewire 800, thunderbolt, USB, or whatever can run through a PCI slot)
- master line-level outs to go to the PA.

I already have an m-audio fast track pro and pro tools 9, but those aren't entirely effective for this situation obviously. I'm kind of out of my league for what to search for at this point, and since this isn't exactly a well-paying job (it pays $0 actually, I'm just doing it for fun), I can't really afford to spend thousands of dollars on a setup.

Any help at all would be amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU