Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Not really sure where to post this

Looking at getting a pair of powered yamaha hs8 monitors with balanced line in

I want to mix (switch, really) 2 different stereo signal inputs, to two balanced input speakers. Ideally this thing will sit on my desk out of the way, but make it easy to switch these on the fly, with all the cables out the back... and stereo (2 channel?) output. I think in industry speak this is either a 4x2 mixer, or 2 input stereo switch/selector? One of the inputs will be a laptop, but I'm fine using a USB -> balanced stereo output adapter

Ideally the whole object should be about the size of a bar of soap to the size of a masonry brick.

Something like this, but with 2 output

This exists, but cables are going everywhere. I had one of these ~10 years ago and it gave me ~5 years of good service but I can't really see having all those cables on my desk these days

This exists, and it has a USB adapter which is neat, and it has "stereo out" on line 1/2

I guess I could just use balanced 1/4" cables with right angle adapters and then loop the cable under/over the device and towards the back? But those are gain, not level knobs

This exists, but does not have level knob

This looks about right, but uses unbalanced input/outputs

TL;DR ha;lp

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 27, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

GnarlyCharlie4u posted:

I'm not sure if you want a mixer or interface...

What's the use case? What gear is connected?

I'm looking to feed either laptop/computer sound, or sometimes a bluetooth audio device to a pair of monitors that have balanced inputs.

I'm not sure if I need balanced audio or not, to get rid of any ground loop hum. All the Rolls devices Rincey suggested were RCA/unbalanced except one.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I ended up getting a Denon DN-200BR, wired up directly to a pair of yamaha HS8 via balanced output, it works awesome, fight me

https://www.denonpro.com/index.php/products/view3/dn-200br

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

What happens if you plug the device into a USB 2 hub, then plug the hub into the 3 port

It's not totally unheard of for some usb 2 devices to be incompatible with usb 3, unfortunately

A lot of 2012 era laptops kept a single usb 2 port for this reason

That said, usb 3 has been around for 12 years, in wide use for at least a decade now, might be good reason to upgrade now