Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lazlow
Nov 30, 2004

New to audio interfaces here: We're looking to start recording our jam/rehearsal sessions, and start laying down separate instrument tracks sometime as well, and I'm wondering what AI we need to bridge the gap between an A&H 24 zed mixer and my laptop (using Ableton).

I've got 9 channels for drums (6 contact mics and 3 condensers), 4 instruments (2 guitar, 1 bass, 1 keyboard (usually DI)), and either 1 or 2 vocal mics. Are we going to need 15-16 channels on the AI, and route each mic separately from the mixer to it? I think I'm right in assuming that just going from the main outs off the mixer to an AI and into Ableton will only give us a stereo mix of the entire board, and not each mic in a separate channel.

Also, for routing, do we go mic to mixer to AI to Ableton, or some other route? I've read a little about going back and forth from AI to mixer and back again, but I only managed to confuse myself.

And if we do need separate AI inputs for each mic, can we get, for example, two 8 channel interfaces and somehow chain them, as opposed to one 16 channel?

Edit: The Zed 24 does have a built in USB interface but it's not multitrack capable (as far as I know).

Lazlow fucked around with this message at 16:19 on Feb 10, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU