Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
What's a good USB interface for beginners/home recording using actual instrument mics? I'm looking to step up from the USB out on my Zoom G5 and a blue yeti placed in front of my amps but I'm a bit confused about what features are required.

I'm playing a Bass VI through two 112 combo amps in stereo and the local music stores basically told me I have two options: A ludicrously expensive and impractical setup with 18 mic preamps and a crate full of sm57's/beta52a's with 24bit 96Khz minimum quality. Or cheap out and get one with 4 mic inputs, a single SM57 and three Samson CS2's. Though the interface they suggested I order in is the Akai EIE pro which I've seen has driver problems and I could get a used R8/R24 for the same price range with built in DAW controls, SD/USB recording and battery portability.

Do I really need 4 mic inputs to record two amps side by side or could I get away with using the 16bit blue yeti as a room mic and just grab something like a used Zoom R8, and a couple SM57's/CS2's? Also just how important is 96Khz recording for distorted electric guitars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
Thanks, the UMC404 looks good from the U-phoria series. Cheap but durable, though it's out of stock locally until the end of August. I'll keep it in mind if I can't find a good deal on a Zoom.

As for the R8 limitations, can't you just turn off different tracks when exporting or set your DAW (Reaper in this case) to split the stereo signal into separate tracks? Or does it mix all 8 tracks to a single mono output over USB?

Verizian
Dec 18, 2004
The spiky one.
That's what I'm not sure of. The guy at Dawsons music store didn't seem to have a clue and tried to sell me some monstrous dual rack unit with about 18 preamps and claimed I'd have to mic the entire room with two mics in front of each amp and two behind as well. I figured that was nonsense as it's just for a Bass VI and two 112 combos. A 30" scale hybrid Jaguar tuned as a bass but with high B and E strings so it's basically an A tuned baritone with a Low bass E string and a whammy bar just because. One amp is a Laney TI15 and the other is a Peavey Vypyr VIP3 hybrid bass/guitar modelling amp. Staff at Johnny Roadhouse suggested one mic in front and one behind each amp would be perfect but possibly overkill as both amps are ported at the back and incredibly loud for their wattage.

I'll probably go for the Behringer anyways. There were several <£50 used R8's on Ebay in the past week and one R24 for £78 but they've dried up it seems.

-edit

PMT over in Salford? Nope but I've heard good things.

Verizian fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Aug 1, 2015