Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
I've used an M-Audio 1010LT forever but the card isn't built for my (non-ancient) computer's expansion slots. What sorts of solutions are available for someone nowadays in need of, say, 10 simultaneous inputs?

I like using lots of microphones :)

I have a mixing board with crappy pres so I don't need something with preamps but if a recommended solution had them that would be fine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

Radiapathy posted:

Do you need 10 preamps?

Definitely not, but at least... 6 or so?

iostream.h posted:

I'm loving LOVING my MOTU 828MkII, to the point I'm probably going to snag a couple more and replace some of my other interfaces with them.

I'm sure there was some discussion in the older thread, but would you care to amplify what you liked about them?

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH
So I'm thinking a used 8Pre (for drums, ) and something like a GAP Pre73 (guitars, vox, ribbon mics, &c). I'm assuming I can plug the Pre73 into the 8Pre into the computer and not have the 8Pre color the GAP? Is the USB kinda latency-vulnerable? My case has a FW input but I don't think the MB does anywhere, but I suppose I could try out a few TI chipset cards if I get a FW 8Pre...

Schlieren
Jan 7, 2005

LEZZZZZZZZZBIAN CRUSH

iostream.h posted:

I'm a little confused here, you asked about USB latency and then mentioned Firewire, which are you using? I know the 8Pre comes in both flavors (I have the FW version).

For the record, the 8Pre and the 828 Mk II work flawlessly with the FW 400 to 6 pin adapters (and also work with zero issues using the lightning -> FW -> 6 pin adapter). Which MB do you have? I'm using a 13" MBP and 15" MBPr, 2012 and 2013 respectively.

The 8Pre shouldn't color it at all really, there'll likely be SOME alteration but it's transparent enough that, unless you're in a hyper-sterile environment, you wouldn't notice at all. I've been thrilled with how transparent the MOTU products have been.
Thanks for the comments :)

I mentioned both because obviously USB would be brainless, whereas FW would have the potential for less latency, but would require finagling a card... the mobo is an ASRock H77 Pro4-M.

I'm just super-leery of the whole latency issue because my old (ancient) setup had actual IRQ conflicts that I had to resolve by disabling a few of the USB ports on my computer to give the LT1010 its own virtual port. When I tell this to nerds they roll on the floor laughing because it's such an esoteric problem that problems like this just never crop up anymore except in stuff like multi-track recording; they think I'm spouting AOL-era nonsense at them.

Although with the 8Pre I think I can just monitor straight from the unit itself? That would render latency more or less moot since it would be restricted to that contained in the unit itself which is going to be undetectable