Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I'm looking into buying an interface of my own, but I'm having trouble finding what I want with Sweetwater's search. The studio I work in has a Saffire Pro 40, which I love. I'd love something similar, but it seems like most of the other interfaces I look at have only a couple XLR inputs and then a bunch of 1/4" inputs, and I need waaay more than two XLR in.

Should I just get my own Saffire? The price is way more affordable than I was expecting given how nice the studio's seems, so I'd even consider getting two. The ability to daisy chain them is a huge draw, because then I can start recording a full band live instead of using all my inputs for drums and having no more XLR ports.

Basically: is there any other interface with a bunch of XLR inputs I should check out?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Awesome, I'll check those out. Thanks!

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

I ended up with a Yamaha 02Rv2 and am wondering if I can use it with a DAW.

It has the ADAT card with it, but I've never worked with ADAT before and Google isn't telling me anything useful (or at least anything I know enough about to be useful). Mostly it's just recommendations to not buy the Yamaha, but that's not super useful at this point, since I traded a tremendously inferior piece of gear for it even after trying to talk the guy out of it. Plus it has motorized faders, which I want so much to play with.

I'm running a Focusrite Saffire Pro 40 into Logic 9. Currently the MIDI in on the Saffire is hooked to an e-drum kit and all is right with the world other than having to reset Logic's MIDI drivers every time I want to use it. If I want to throw this gigantic bastard Yamaha into the mix to have physical faders to play with, would it be at all useful to have the ADAT cable, or is it better to hook it up via the MIDI i/o ports on the Saffire and Yamaha with the e-drums plugged into the Yamaha's MIDI thru port? Or is this sucker just totally incompatible with all this stuff since it's an aging beast?

EDIT: I guess my question is more whether or not it's possible to set this up through MIDI as a control surface. ADAT is just for audio, not for control, right?

CaptainViolence fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Aug 27, 2015

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

Oh, weird, the beginning of the manual made it seem like it was possible.

Thanks, though! I guess it sits in a closet waiting for a live show or something.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i don't know about that one in particular, but i know there are firewire interfaces that work with a firewire to thunderbolt adapter, so that may be an option assuming you have a thunderbolt port.

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

You might get what you want out of one of the Sound Devices MixPre series, but you'd pay Sound Devices prices for it. I know the MixPre-3 and MixPre-6 were designed to double as both field recorders and interfaces, but I've never actually used them so I don't know how well they work as a mixer. I assume pretty well, given my experience with other Sound Devices gear, but that was for field recording that would be properly mixed later so my mixes were just super rough reference tracks.

There's also the MixPre-10M, which is the bigger (more expensive) version that's specifically geared toward music. It might do what you want better than either of the smaller ones.

As for multiple outputs on interfaces, my current setup has different mixes routed to different outputs so each person with a monitor/headphones/IEMs gets their own mix when we rehearse. They can also be used to route a bunch of surround speakers. I think I can do 7.1 with mine if I really wanted, but I've never bothered because I don't have enough monitors (yet :v: )

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i'm not 100% sure why you would need two of them, so maybe i'm missing something—every interface i've ever used has at least two monitor outs, so unless you're trying to have multiple setups at the same time then you would only need one. also, i'm not totally sure what you want for the synths. do you need to run multiple into the interface at the same time, or can it be just one at a time?

a scarlett solo is usually my go-to recommendation for what you're describing, but they go for about $100 on amazon and you only have a single input at a time. it has two balanced 1/4" outputs, so as long as you have the cables then you can hook your monitors up no problem. if price is still an issue, there's some cheaper behringer interfaces that are similar, but you might end up with the hiss still. if you need more inputs, then you'll probably have to spend a couple hundo to get any sort of decent interface, but there might be a hidden gem out there i don't know about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainViolence
Apr 19, 2006

I'M GONNA GET YOU DUCK

i'm on Mojave still with a 2012 iMac, but i use a Saffire Pro 40 regularly with few issues. i'm using a fw400>fw800 cable and a fw800>thunderbolt adapter.

i have found that it's fairly sensitive to the order in which things are turned on--i sometimes get those same connection errors if i turn the saffire on once the os is running, but usually a power cycle fixes it (but i can't do that while logic is running because then it screams about my hardware changing and then either causes that same error or, even if the hardware is detected by the os, still isn't shown by logic until i restart it).

i haven't done a verifiable test, but the impression i've gotten is that the no hardware thing is less likely to happen if i let the saffire warm up. if it's been off for a bit and i'm just turning it on it gets those errors way more frequently. could be coincidence and i frequently worry that the rituals i developed are the equivalent of throwing people in a volcano to ensure a good harvest, but i can't remember the last time i got a no hardware error that wasn't related to accidentally cutting power to stuff.